Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12865 12/14/00 10:03 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
missing anything?

I know of books, and tracts that, in totality, contain only 25 of the 26–
(I am grossly bad at this– but can you– out do what I am trying to do? )

#12866 12/14/00 10:08 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
missing anything?

I know of books, and tracts that, in totality, contain only 25 of the 26–
(I am grossly bad at this– but can you– out do what I am trying to do? )

Working it out was not hard, but I am tempted to say that it was no easy task

#12867 12/14/00 10:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
of troy writ... um... scribb... hm... asks: can you– out do what I am trying to do?

it's a silly... task... but naturally a word for it... is about; this word is lipogram (which luckily fits our plan) -- writing thusly... turns out mostly awkward looking syntax.

#12868 12/14/00 10:45 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
And what would Mr Shrdlu say about it!?

#12869 12/15/00 10:13 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Marty -- actually, I've always considered Etaoin to be of the feminine gender!

#12870 12/15/00 12:59 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Oh do try! Tsuwm did and gave us a word for it–I didn't know it( lipogram) just the ploy– with a small bit of planning–and PC tools–you can do it– its not that hard. If you got it– try it!

#12871 12/15/00 01:57 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rhyming is hard– and many contributors do it.. I am always agog with what is known–plowing! Who wouldda thought? I don't want to call it trivia– but unusual topics don't stop anybody! I had a hand at plowing– as a country fair activity – Long Island has soft soil–but it's hard work! A furrow and back–for a buck (US dollar)! I paid to try my hand at this skill! i wasn't half bad at it...my first furrow was a bit wavy, but furrow two was straight! Not bad for a city girl!
That right--US's urban sprawl capital still had country fairs.

#12872 12/15/00 07:19 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
only tsuwm and Marty as my only companions in this word play? To start, position a push pin, point up-wards, four in from Tab–(count Tab, too) quickly, you'll grok it's good to avoid! A world of words awaits– in this word play, flirting is okay- but don't go far astray– tarmac's thrift, with run-off from walkways or roofs is a no man's land as is a trip to subjects un urban.

You can sip pop or cola, soda on your patio, but taboo is Boston's harbor drink -I can't think of a hot drink that is not taboo. Many cold libations...

Mouth off if you want–or act sassy, and don't think about your p's and q's...a fifth of scotch– or a fifth to finish, but stay away from a fifth symbol. Stay in pairs, or crowds or groups --going solo has many risks.

Tsuwm said syntax was awkward– but only first.. A posting or two, and words will start to flow.. Is it worth a sporting try?

I can play at it, tsuwn and marty too, anybody can play–can you?

#12873 12/16/00 11:06 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Count paulb in -- I'm rapt to find a "tao in Shrdlu" at last!

#12874 12/17/00 11:35 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Hi again, of troy. I trust that it is OK to apply that tag to you - I find that your mum and dad's first rubric for you would disqualify this post from participating in your quiz. My first qualifying post was short - six or so words only. I thought I should try a post with many words so that I truly grasp how difficult it is to do it without violation. I find that it is fascinating to try this task without compromising my post's flavour, or causing awkward syntax, as tsuwm said in a prior submission. I don't think that I am doing particularly brilliantly right now. I do think, though, that if an author was to try this a lot, truly with application, that said difficulty and artificiality of wording would diminish and that this man or woman (or boy or girl) would start to know a lot of common handy substitutions and sayings.

I find that I am using - a tad too much?- a lookup list to aid in substitution of "good" words for words that do not qualify. It is amazing how that tricky fifth symbol lurks around, just waiting for an opportunity to spring forth and show his dial, much to my chagrin. Notwithstanding all my caution, it is with timidity and worry that I am composing this. I think that I will now run this story through a symbol-locating computing application - if you catch my drift - to confirm that it will in fact satisfy all conditions laid down by you and that it will obtain your approval.

Having said all that, this rambling submission is on a topic of my choosing, a topic on which I can adopt any standpoint. It would call for worthy - and wordy - skill to do this on a random topic laid down by a third party, to wit - massaging into conformity a story by a famous author. Or, say, with an additional strain of doing it within a particular chronological slot.

That's all that I am going to say in this post. I wish to finish by saying that I am actually warming to of troy's task and I think I could go on in this fashion for many paragraphs, but I will now pass this opportunity on to additional pundits of our AWADtalk community.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith