Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12666 12/12/00 04:28 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
R
Better than running up and down the stairs all day.

Or skipping to the loo, me darlin'

#12667 12/12/00 05:16 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Rhubarb, I'm will put myself in CK's stead here and agree with him. I have successfully logged on to AWADTalk from several different PCs (when you need a fix, you need a fix), and as long as cookies were enabled, no problems. The fact that my profile includes a web-based, rather than POP3, email address, may be connected. If that is the case, try getting a free web-based email address from any one of the hundreds of providers out there, and then use that in your basic profile here. Bear in mind two salient caveats concerning this post: (a) I'm a gibbering loon, and (3) I'm a dead loon walking - as soon as Jackie decideds how she wants to carry out her promise, I shall be rather forcefully shunted off this mortal coil.

#12668 12/12/00 05:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
as soon as Jackie decideds how she wants to carry out her promise, I shall be rather forcefully shunted off this mortal coil.

'Member, Sweetie? I said I was going to hug you to death.
So, you can plan on twining away for some time longer, she said with twisted humor. (Ok, Marty, humour.)

#12669 12/12/00 06:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Rhubarb, I'm will put myself in CK's stead here and agree with him. I have successfully logged on to AWADTalk from several different PCs (when you need a fix, you need a fix), and as long as cookies were enabled, no problems. The fact that my profile includes a web-based, rather than POP3, email address, may be connected. If that is the case, try getting a free web-based email address from any one of the hundreds of providers out there, and then use that in your basic profile here. Bear in mind two salient caveats concerning this post: (a) I'm a gibbering loon, and (3) I'm a dead loon walking - as soon as Jackie decideds how she wants to carry out her promise, I shall be rather forcefully shunted off this mortal coil.

It is not your address. It is your cookie. I am able to log in from both home and work with no problems. I DID have to have my password the first time I logged in from work, but then my computer accepted a cookie from AWADTalk and everything was fine.

BTW, let us hope that Jackie shunts none of our esteemed (oh what was it -- ayleurs) off this mortal coil. Particularly Rhubarb. Can you imagine how unpopular I would become at the interment when I intoned lugubriously the threnody, "Aye, therein lies the Rhub?"

TEd
#12670 12/13/00 12:30 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Where is Mr. xara when you need him. Rhu, send a note off the xara, I remember her hubby being pretty up on all this stuff. I'm sure he'll be able to tell you how to fix it.

#12671 12/13/00 01:04 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
TEd said (sorry, can't resist the rhyme): BTW, let us hope that Jackie shunts none of our esteemed (oh what was it -- ayleurs) off this mortal coil. Particularly Rhubarb. Can you imagine how unpopular I would become at the interment when I intoned lugubriously the threnody, "Aye, therein lies the Rhub?"

And remember that Jackie signed off elsewhere: carpe Quordlepleen. It should have been dative (Quordlepleeno), but let that pass.

I say that probably what she should be saying is Quordlepleen carpe. Much more threatening.

Rhub, it's the cookies, my dear. I managed to whack myself out of the list this morning by disabling them.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12672 12/13/00 09:11 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
R
Further thanks to you all for public and private messages of help, support or both (remembering the furore caused by and/or - but that was in another chunter and, alas, the thread is dead.)

My big problem now is my total lack of knowledge of "cookies" and where to find them, how to enable them, etc. As I say, it is a new machine - indeed the first bran new machine I have ever owned, all previous having been passed to me by affluent friends and relatives who could afford new ones for themselves. My detailed knowledge of computers dates back to a time nearer to Babbidge than to Gates so the software, and how to deal with it, is still shrouded by the opacity of the veils of my ignorance.
(It is a measure of my anguish that I, the egoistic and bombastic vegetative storm-trooper, will admit to ignorance about anything!)

So - recipes for cookies and how to cook them, please.

#12673 12/13/00 04:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rhub:

In Internet Explorer (or Netscape if you're using that), click on the "Help" menu item, click on "Contents and Index" and type "cookies" into the search term text box. In Explorer, the word "cookies" will be displayed and highlighted in the box below the search term box.

From this point, all the instructions are for Explorer - I don't have Netscape.

Double-click on the highlighted "cookies" item. This will tell you all about Microsoft's cookies, which are a damned sight less palatable than the ones mother used to make.

At the bottom, there will be link to "Set a security level". Click on that. Follow the instructions (and your nose).

If your security level is set too high, your browser refuses to accept cookies - and the board refused to talk to you unless you do. So you have to reduce the security level to medium so that the board and your browser can talk to each other ...

HTH

#12674 12/13/00 07:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>TEd said (sorry, can't resist the rhyme):

"said" rhymes with deed in NZ????

TEd
#12675 12/13/00 08:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
TEd seed?? "said" rhymes with deed in NZ????

No. It might in Oz. However, I assumed TEd was pronounced the same as Ted. Is that one more whoops in my life?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith