Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#12560 12/10/00 04:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
tsuwm hath said: what's all this then?
this word is first cited in 1623; to wit, Cockeram, Imperatrix, shee that commandeth -- not to put too fine a point on it, SWMBO.

-joe friday (sergeant, strange loop police)

(Imperatorix/Imperatrix) Either will do. Which would you prefer Jackie to be called? Imperatrix was used on coins during Vicky's long and undisputed innings. Unlike us, who are almost always getting called for LBW.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12561 12/12/00 09:52 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
(Imperatorix/Imperatrix) Either will do. Which would you prefer Jackie to be called? Imperatrix was used on coins during Vicky's long and undisputed innings

There are two points, here.
First, and most important, since it is 'on thread', I don't approve of any of the suggestions given so far for Jackie's title. I believe that, as she is of a quality that cannot be transcended, and as a tribute to her unique position on this board, we should adopt the Celtic tradition of bestowing on her the accolade of THE Jackie.

Second, on a minor note, I have to dispute this belief that "Vicky's ... innings" were "undisputed". The South Africans disputed it very well - and pretty effectively for quite a while. The Irish disputed it throughout her reign (and before and since - nothing personal to Victoria herself - just the institution she represented) - with a certain amount of sympathy from the Scotish Nationalists.

Even in England, she was not very popular much before the 1860s, and there were frequent - and serious - calls for a Republic.
It was only in her latter years that she became sanctified at home - (but not by the S.Africans!)

#12562 12/12/00 03:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Unlike us, who are almost always getting called for LBW.

LBW?
loosely bowled wicket?
lusy's beer wallah??
loose bowels whelm?!
what?

#12563 12/12/00 04:41 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Hurrah for someone else who doesn't know about cricket, which has to be the most boring game in the world after baseball.
(says he, hastily digging himself a blast-proof shelter that is unasailable from all directions! )

LBW = Leg Before Wicket

If you prevent the ball from striking the wicket by getting your leg in the way - whether accidently or on purpose. If the Umpire calls this, then you are "out."

Why such a sensible defense should be penalised is beyond me - but then , so are most of the arcane rules of cricket.

I mean - it takes courage to put any part of your body in the path of a cricket ball; harm can come to a young lad like that. Courage in the interests of keeping your team in the game should surely be rewarded?

#12564 12/12/00 05:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
tsuwm (tongue in cheek?) asked:
LBW?
loosely bowled wicket?
lusy's beer wallah??
loose bowels whelm?!
what?

Wrong thread really - it's a cricket term - Leg Before Wicket. Shanks will be able to give you all the stats on whoever has at any time in place playing for any team, been given out for it. He has the links, and he who has the links, rules.

#12565 12/12/00 05:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

Hurrah for someone else who doesn't know about cricket, which has to be the most boring
game in the world after baseball.
(says he, hastily digging himself a blast-proof shelter that is unasailable from all directions!

not to start up any kind of baseball vs. cricket controversy again (well I remember what happened the last time), but obviously you don't know baseball either, or you would have substituted 'dugout' for 'shelter'.

#12566 12/12/00 06:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>we should adopt the Celtic tradition of bestowing on her the accolade of
THE Jackie.

Since it appears unlikely that any of us can catch her, how about SWMBF (she who must be followed). Then we can award followships to the U-boats.

Goodness, what was in that coffee????

TEd
#12567 12/13/00 09:22 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
obviously you don't know baseball either, or you would have substituted 'dugout' for 'shelter'.
No doubt you are correct, tsuwm - I was harking back to the good old days of the Second World War, when we all enjoyed the comradeship engendered by close proximity in constructions of pressed-iron covered in garden soil which were a fool-proof method of avoiding the bombs rained down on London by that nasty Mr. Hitler.

As to a "knowledge" of baseball - or cricket, for that matter - it is confined to having watched games being played. Indeed, I have played cricket, but only under duress and never with enjoyment.
I watched baseball over a period of about two months at some of the American Airforce bases in Northamptonshire,m which were acclaimed by those around me as being of reasonably high standard. I will admit to finding them better fun than cricket - but only marginally, and there was no beer !

#12568 12/13/00 04:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rhub cricketed: Indeed, I have played cricket, but only under duress and never with enjoyment.

And if you'd watched yesterday's last day's play in the NZ vs The Yappies test match in South Africa, you'd know that the NZers weren't enjoying their cricket much, either ...

#12569 12/13/00 04:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> and there was no beer !

beer with baseball is highly dangerous. now, beer and *softball...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith