About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From eta's link:
Eurasia refers to the combined land mass of Europe and Asia. Eurasia is alternatively considered to be a continent, or a supercontinent composed of the continents of Europe and Asia.

Due to the cultural differences between Asia and Europe, the historical tradition is to consider them separate continents. (This is controversial, as many historians perceive much of South and West Asia as historically closer to Europe than to East Asia). The earth sciences, with a more precise definition of continent, more frequently consider Eurasia to be a continent in and of itself.

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
and mediterranian means?

yes, near, middle and far east are eurpeon centric words, --but then we are speaking a european language, last time i checked.

we could substitute near asia, mid asia, and far asia, --which is still pretty damn far from you fiberbabe...

or even west asia, mid asia, and east asia, just as we divide europe, a much smaller land mass into eastern and western europe.

--and i have seen a french map that included most of europe, --and half of the atlantic ocean, and smack dab in the middle, of map, france, in all its glory! its pretty common now days.

in the middle ages, jerusalam was the center point of most european (christian european) maps. Rome might have been the were the pope lived (most of the time) but the center of the world was jerusalam.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
>>which is still pretty damn far from you, fiberbabe<<

I remember reading once, when Japan was trying to woo Chile into a [free] trade relationship and away from one with the US, that 'they' said, and I pararaphrase, ' if it weren't for the ocean between us, we'd practically be neighbors.'

as to 'eurocentric,' I only got on it in response to jheem's abstract veiling, 'toponomy of the mind,' which I'm still puzzling over. A disorientatilizing China at the center of an upside down world is fine by me. Really. ;)

J
veteran
veteran
J
as to 'eurocentric,' I only got on it in response to jheem's abstract veiling, 'toponomy of the mind,' which I'm still puzzling over. A disorientatilizing China at the center of an upside down world is fine by me. Really. ;)

Oh, come now. I speak English, too. I used the term toponym cuz le's face it, how often do ya get to use that word. Everybody does this. Let's go down/up to the City. N'est-ce pas?

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
>>how often do you get to use that word<<

And thanks for it. It's a very good word.

As to of troy's original question, I can't think of one. But it does occur to me that, in the case of the 'near East,' it's the toponym and not the topo that has been lost -- as in Atlantis or, if that doesn't suit you, Krakatoa or New Orleans.

#124998 03/11/04 04:43 PM
G
addict
addict
G
did 'near east' fall out of favor? is it part of some subtle political correctness that i missed?

If the "near east" fell out of favor, de Troy, it is only because it got too close for comfort.

It may be politically incorrect to say "near east", but it will always be politically porrect to say it.

#124999 03/12/04 01:13 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>>>>we have a great map in our school office which show the world <scare quotes>upside down</scare quotes>. all the labels are correctly orientized, and I believe the Atlantic Ocean is in the center. some kids just don't get it. some adults complain, too... sheesh.

I have a map like that eta. (thank you Cap bec-bec) People who look at it don't complain, but they do get un uneasy feeling about Hudson's Bay.

It looks like it is going to get emptied out of all its water. I think it's a psychological/emotional thing. It looks like a cup, you turn a cup upside-down and it empties out, so the Bay will empty out if North is brought to the bottom.

#125000 03/12/04 01:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Some Ithacans of my acquaintance once sent me a globe that must be standard issue for US public schools. At least, I'm assuming so, since it would explain much about the average USn's grasp of geography.

#125001 03/12/04 12:16 PM
G
addict
addict
G
there was a place called the near east. it included the countries ... on the mediterranian.

I know what happened to the "Near East", de Troy. They couldn't market it as a destination ... so they renamed it "Club Med".

"Club Med" put the "Near East" back on the map.

"Swatch" did the same thing for Switzerland.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 806 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith