About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#124820 03/12/04 04:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In hhmmmm, 1977 I think it was, while travelling by bike through England, we ran across signs saying "No vanners allowed". This was in Wisbech, I believe. When I asked what vanners were, I was surprised to learn that it was a shortened term for cravaners, and specifically referred to gypsies who traveled around in horse-drawn wagons. Actually saw some of them the next day, but gave them a wide berth. Probably should not have, in retrospect. Would have been fascinating to learn more about them.

TEd
#124821 03/12/04 05:36 PM
G
grapho Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
G
"No vanners allowed". ... I was surprised to learn that it was a shortened term for cravaners

I wonder if there is a linguistic connection between "cravaners" and "caravans".

I remember reading an Egyptian proverb some years back [Anwar Sadat responding to homeland critics of his Camp David peace initiative]:

"The dogs will bark but the caravan keeps rolling along."

In his case, alas, there was more than just bark in those "dogs".

#124822 03/12/04 07:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I wonder if there is a linguistic connection between "cravaners" and "caravans".

I don't know about there being a linguistic connection, but there is a typographical connection.

TEd
#124823 03/12/04 09:04 PM
G
grapho Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
G
I don't know about there being a linguistic connection, but there is a typographical connection.

They have something else in common, TEd.

It is probably wise to give both a "wide berth" if you don't know what they're carrying in the "van".

#124824 03/13/04 03:00 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I met a horse drawn van once while cycling thru' France. When I stopped and asked to take a picture his wife and daughters all disappeared while the sons jumped out to be in the picture. All of the kids were under 12, at a guess. We only spoke for a few minutes but they were very nice. I couldn't buy a basket because my bike was already loaded unfortunately.

#124825 03/13/04 03:05 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I met a horse drawn van once while cycling thru' France. When I stopped and asked to take a picture his wife and daughters all disappeared while the sons jumped out to be in the picture. All of the kids were under 12, at a guess. We only spoke for a few minutes but they were very nice. I couldn't buy a basket because my bike was already loaded unfortunately.
There is a facinating movie/documentary called Latcha Drom. It traces the supposed route of the original Gypsies featuring the music and a snatch of the lifestyle and dancing of Gypsy families in India, Turkey, Eastern Europe France and Spain. There is no narration Just the subtitled translation of the songs. The Flamenco music and dancing of Spain is startlingly like the Indian version.

#124826 03/13/04 02:07 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I should perhaps make myself a little clearer. The "gippos" I'm referring to are no more Romanies than I am Martian. They are just vagrants with beaten up cars, tumbledown caravans and a larcenous streak a mile wide. In this country to declare yourself a traveller is to become one in the eyes of the authorities. They travel from "work" to "work" mob-handed. They trespass wherever they feel like it, setting up "camp" on farmers' fields or a supermarket carpark with impunity. And they'll break down gates and fences to get there. Instead of doing the obvious thing - condemning their caravans, forcing their cars off the road, taking the kids into care to get them some education and arresting them as soon as they poke their noses into the area - the law actually protects them. The local police and government bodies are not allowed to evict them unless some alternative site is found for them. The laws were put in place to protect the real gypsies but by usage the legal umbrella has been extended to cover all gypsy-like people. A friend of mine who is an old-style policeman would like to hound them right out of the county, but instead finds himself facing down the local population who want to deal to the b**stards.

Wherever the gippos go the petty crime rate soars, people are intimidated and things get very tense. They hang around their makeshift campsites, just dumping rubbish any old where - mattresses, old furniture, burnt-out car bodies and zillions of plastic bags. When it all gets a bit much for these precious creatures, they up stakes and move on to make some other community's life a mystery, leaving their ordure behind them without so much as a backward glance.

#124827 03/13/04 02:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wherever the gippos go the petty crime rate soars, people are intimidated and things get very tense.

huh. there's an internet variation, too...

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith