#124804 03/07/04 08:32 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
From a site I'm browsing:
In Yugoslavia they speak five languages. In not one of them does the word stop exist, yet every stop sign in the country says just that.

I bring this up to make the somewhat obvious observation that English is the most global of languages.
http://f2.org/humour/quotes/language.html#MotherTongue

#124805 03/07/04 08:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hey, that's a lot of fun reading! thanks, Bill.

formerly known as etaoin...
#124806 03/07/04 09:51 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The difference between "astonish" and "surprise"
France's greatest lexicographer, Emile Littré, was once found by his wife, in flagrante, and in the conjugal bedroom at that, with their housemaid. Happily, the exchange that followed makes sense almost as well in English as in French.

"Emile," cried Mrs Littré, "I am surprised!"
"No, my dear," replied the erring lexicographer calmly. "You are astonished. It is we who are surprised. "

It occurred to me that I did not know etymology of "astonish"
From AHD
astonish

SYLLABICATION: aˇstonˇish
PRONUNCIATION: -stnsh
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: asˇtonˇished, asˇtonˇishˇing, asˇtonˇishˇes
To fill with sudden wonder or amazement. See synonyms at surprise.
ETYMOLOGY: Alteration of Middle English astonen, from Old French estoner, from Vulgar Latin *extonre : Latin ex-, ex- + Latin tonre, to thunder; see (s)ten- in Appendix I.

#124807 03/07/04 10:33 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
In Yugoslavia they speak five languages. In not one of them does the word stop exist, yet every stop sign in the country says just that.

It's hard to know where to begin with this factoid. Yugoslavia only consists of Serbia and Montenegro these days, and there's Albanian, Romani, Bulgarian, Romanian, and Hungarian spoken there as well as Serbian and even Yugoslavian Sign Language is signed by 30K users. Yet they "have" no "word" for "stop". What kind of stop? The command to stop doing something, like driving (obustaviti)? The full stop that comes punctually at the end of a sentence (zastoj). The interruption of or intermission in something (prestanak)? I'm sure there's plenty more words for the many meanings of the English stop, but I'll stop at those.

Languages adapt themselves to their speakers' needs. This is one reason why I find it comico-tragical that folks fret so over the loss or gain of a word.

There's a great article called "The Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax" by Geoff Pullum that covers this fascination with language X doesn't have a word for Y, or language Q has N words for P. It's available in a book of the same title available at fine bookstores everywhere. Professor Pullum also contributes to a linguistics blog that's rather good:

http://www.languagelog.org/

#124808 03/07/04 10:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
He didn't say they don't have a word for stop, he said they don't have the word stop. The point is that the stop signs at intersections all have the characters S T O P on them. The same was true in Russia when I was there in 1994, at least in Peterburg and Moscow. I don't remember whether it was only in Roman, only in Cyrillic, or in both.

#124809 03/07/04 10:50 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
he said they don't have the word stop.

OK. I know it's a joke, but why pick on Yugoslavia? So, every language in Europe has the word stop in it because of those international stopsigns. I seem to remember pranksters modifying the letters to read SPQR instead of stop. Speaking of Serbo-Croatian, an American who was visiting a mutual friend in Beograd once asked: "What are all these Pectobahs?" She was reading the Cyrillic for restaurant as though it was in the Latin alphabet.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith