Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#124413 03/03/04 03:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
If you're a YahooMail user and you received a bulk mail from "noreply@yahoo.com" informing you that your Yahoo mailbox has been temporarily disabled due to unauthorized usage, and for further details to open the attachment DON'T OPEN IT!!! It's the Beagle Virus. And it advises you to download a Yahoo product to clean it if you scan it up. (probably to make Yahoo look bad) I mailed back to noreply@yahoo.com and it's a mailer daemon, no such address. So it's not Yahoo.

Here's the attachment message:

>Scan result: Virus "W32.Beagle.J@mm" found.
You can not download this attachment <

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I read somewhere that people (using the term advisedly) are now making pages that look just like the real thing; and that if you get one of these "alerts" you should not open it or click on its enclosed link whatever you do--this initiates the virus--but rather type the address of the real Yahoo, MSN or whatever in the box yourself, or use your own link, and then check the validity of your notice.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I got an e-mail with sender "Mailer Daemon" which fooled me the first time, and I got a virus which software took care of. The second time I noticed that the identification of sender was phoney, and just deleted it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
people (using the term advisedly)

Jackie, !

WO'N, yeah, it's infected not only Yahoo. So all y'all non-Mac users (ahem) take heed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
FYI - It's not specific to Yahoo or any mail service. It spoofs administrative authority from whatever address it chooses and sends a similar, personalized "mailbox unavailable" announcement.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Believe it or not, I got suckered. First time. It was because it came from the mini-AIR mailing list which I've been on for ever and which has never given me problems before.

Still, Pest Patrol got rid of it in short order. I tell you, I don't believe in capital punishment, but the cat o' nine tails seems a fairly good substitute for these non-people ...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Have I ever told you my theories about the rung of Purgatory reserved for the sub-human jerks who turn loose virsuses and worms on the net? It ain't pretty.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Something like this, Father Steve?
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=111484
In this thread you mention several types of offenses that merit punishments.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yah, that pretty well sums it up. Kind of you to remember the demented ramblings of a fevered mind.

#124422 03/04/04 10:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(Note the typical misspellings and the one-time use of sic: )

Virus Writers Use Internet Worms for War of Words

Wed Mar 3, 2004 03:56 PM ET
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The creators of the Netsky, MyDoom and Bagle e-mail viruses have taken to exchanging insults in what amounts to a war of words in computer code between rival hackers, anti-virus experts said on Wednesday.

On one side are the creators of MyDoom and Bagle, who are believed to be spammers or spam groups because many variants of the viruses leave backdoors on infected computers that can be used to turn them into spam zombies, said Chris Belthoff, senior security analyst at anti-virus company Sophos Inc.

On the other side is the person or group responsible for the Netsky virus, who do not have any profit motive, he said.

"It almost seems like they are playing a war of one-upmanship," Belthoff said. "They could be jealous over the media attention the others are getting."

Versions of the three computer viruses, all self-propagating e-mail worms, have wreaked havoc on computers across the Internet since early this year.

Updated anti-virus software can detect and block the viruses.

The latest version of Netsky, dubbed Netsky.F, has a message in the code that says "Bagle - you are a looser!!!! (sic)" and an earlier version says: "MyDoom.F is a thief of our idea!"

Code in Mydoom.F and Bagle.I and Bagle.J addresses Netsky's creator directly, using expletives. One message tells Netsky: "don't ruine our bussiness, wanna start a war?"

Bagle.K, the latest version of Bagle, masquerades as an e-mail from a company's information technology department, Belthoff said.

The most recent variant of MyDoom, MyDoom.G, opens up a backdoor and directs infected computers to launch an attack on the Web site of anti-virus company Symantec Corp. (SYMC.O: Quote, Profile, Research) , he said.

Netsky.F, the newest version of that virus, tries to deactivate earlier MyDoom and Bagle variants, he added.

Five of the latest versions of the viruses were released within three hours on Wednesday morning, according to Russian-based anti-virus vendor Kaspersky Labs.

"It's hard to imagine a more comical situation: a handful of virus writers are playing unpunished with the Internet, and not one member of the Internet community can take decisive action to stop to this lawlessness," Eugene Kaspersky, head of anti-virus research at the company, wrote in a release.

(Additional reporting by Alberto Alerigi in Sao Paulo.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
© Copyright Reuters 2004. All rights reserved.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=4491208§ion=news

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 693 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith