About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#124173 02/29/04 11:19 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
There most certainly are patterned carpets, although they have lesser popularity than solid colors, I suppose in part because they are more expensive and more difficult to lay. I very purposely chose a patterned carpet for my stairway and upstairs hall, as the pattern helps conceal the wear for much longer than a solid carpet color does.

#124174 02/29/04 11:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I did not mean to suggest that carpets must be patterned. The example of the contrasts between a Persian carpet and Navajo rug were merely chosen to suggest the differences between two representatives of each category.

#124175 03/01/04 01:08 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Does anyone of us know when the long rolls of carpeting
came onto the market?

#124176 03/01/04 02:56 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Also, different styles of manufacture; Navaho rugs are woven and Persian carpets are pulled through. The pile?

#124177 03/01/04 02:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:If a carpet goes from wall to wall, why would anybody talk about wall-to-wall carpeting? Or an area rug? (I.e., if it only covers an area anyway?)

i see carpet as a somewhat permenent covering (wall to wall carpeting is 'nailed' to the floor!)
a large persian carpet, too, is some what fixed.

a rug is smaller.. you might have a winter one of wool, and summer one of sisial, a very small rug is an area rug.

and rug doesn't have to go on a floor.

you could put a rug on a piano, or over the lap of an invalid.

the idea of a fixed floor covering is what makes a flying carpet so magical! --here is an item that is know for its characteristic of being fixed to the floor (eithter by some device, or by sheer size and weight!) and now, its flying!-- its like talking about cold fire!

#124178 03/01/04 02:55 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
When I was young we had a carpet in the living room that must've been 25 foot square. It didn't make it to the walls. It stopped short. It was not nailed to the floor, because you could lift up an edge and sweep something under the carpet. Later, when I went to buy a Persian carpet or Oriental rug (which is my ideal for a flying carpet), I looked at rugs/carpets that were about 2' x 4' all the way up to about 20' square. Later still, when I lived in Germany, where they have little wall-to-wall carpeting in homes, I would stop by the Teppich store to look at all the Persian floor coverings. The German word is from the same source as the French word, tapis, which is related to our tapistry, which is a wall covering / hanging, to fight off the cold damp nights in the old keep. Not saying everybody else is wrong, just that for me carpet and rug are nearly synonymous.

#124179 03/01/04 03:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
for me carpet and rug are nearly synonymous

I always find it interesting when we discover these word pairs that some find shades of meaning between. Rarely, if ever, are these shades of meaning consistent from one person to another. Makes me wonder about 'defending against the loss of these fine distinctions' so often espoused by the language guardians.

#124180 03/01/04 03:24 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Makes me wonder about 'defending against the loss of these fine distinctions' so often espoused by the language guardians.

Yes. Just took a quick peak at the OED 1st ed. and learned about table carpets a thick kind of table cloth. Also, brought to mind lap robes, or travel rugs. I always thought that a lot of the fine distinctions come about from the juxtaposing of words into a phrase, sentence, or paragraph.

#124181 03/01/04 05:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:Does anyone of us know when the long rolls of carpeting came onto the market?

well both carpets and rugs are woven (well the flooring kind of carpets and rugs are!)

looms have always come in different sizes. large carpets (persian/oriental) were rare --because 1 large looms are rare, and 2they took longer to weave, (so fewer could be woven in a life time) and 3while much of persia (iran) is, and has been for centuries, settled (ie not nomadic)-many 'oriental' type carpets were made by nomadic or semi nomadic people. big looms can't readily be dis assembling and re assembling--while being used. so large carpets could only be constructed in large rooms, in towns/cities.
small carpets might only have one 'weaver' large ones were often designed and overseen by 1 person, but several children (often girls) were put to work making the carpet.. these girls were semi skilled.

machine looms (and france and belgium had some of the biggest pre industrial revolution looms) had the same limitations.
--there are all sorts of tensioning problems with big looms, and looms take a huge amount of time to 'set up' (about 10 to 12 hours for a simple 3 foot wide 4 heedle loom) -- exponentionaly more for each foot/heedle) --this made large carpets way more expensive than small ones!

power looms allowed for longer, continues strips, and early 'wall to wall' carpet was often made of several strips each 3 to 4 feet (circa 1 m.) wide, sewn together, and secured to the floor.

nowdays, new manufactureing techniques, and power means that some carpets are made 20 feet wide! --but 12 to 15 foot wide strips are more normal.

if you had 'wall to wall' carpeting installed, you know, its is invibible 'pieced' together.

#124182 03/02/04 05:48 AM
The term rug is derived from the Scandinavian word rugga by way of the old Norwegian word rogg, which meant a wool covering for the bed or body. For several centuries in Europe, the term rug denoted a rough, heavy woolen fabric characterized by a coarse, napped finish and used as apparel by the poorer classes.
The term carpet was used originally to describe coverings for tables, beds, and other furniture, and only from the early 18th century was it associated with the floor. The modern usage is imprecise and includes all woven floor coverings and some textiles, such as wall hangings, furniture coverings, and saddlebags, made with a knotted pile or woven like a tapestry. The word carpet is ultimately derived from the Latin carpere, ””to pluck or seize,”” thus implying a plucking of wool or carding of wool fibers, and reflects the fact that for centuries wool has been used in making carpets.

carpet [ k?rp?t ]
noun (plural carpets)
1. floor covering: thick fabric for covering a floor
2. piece of floor covering: a piece of thick, heavy fabric covering the floor of a room or area
3. layer or covering: a layer or covering ( literary )
a carpet of snow

rug [ rug ] (plural rugs)
noun
1. fabric floor covering: a thick heavy fabric covering for a floor, especially one that is smaller than a carpet
2. animal skin mat: an animal skin used as a mat or small carpet
3. blanket: a thick blanket, especially one formerly used by car or carriage passengers to cover their legs and feet
4. hairpiece: a toupee or wig ( informal )

[Mid-16th century. Origin uncertain: probably from a Scandinavian word.]

I guess it all just depends on your topographical location as well as to what century you were born into as to the meaning of either.

Rev. Alimae

Rev. Alimae
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith