Print Thread
#12295 12/07/00 01:05 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hi Ho, Just a note re the US disputed Florida vote count for Presidential candidates. Take a look at
http://www.abcnews.go/sections/world/daily news/chad001206.html
I hope I made that clickable! I tried. Anyway, also found a bio of Saint Chad, patron of disputed elections under a uk church address that I cannot now find. St. Chad made the morning news shows along with the note that the hits have been phenomenal! That's it. wow

#12296 12/07/00 02:18 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
St Chad

Couldn’t get the link to load – may be deluged, I guess. Since I suspect this is a recycling of a story passed around on the net a day or two back, I copy here the version forwarded by Lee Daniel Quinn’s ezine – thanks Lee.

YOU'RE A BETTER MAN THAN I

With the chads flying in Florida, there's been a new flurry of interest in someone who just might be the patron saint of contested elections. It's none other than St. Chad of England.

Living from 620 to 672 A.D., Chad served as an abbot in northern Britain when his superior, Wilfrid, was appointed to the coveted position of Bishop of York. Wilfred's appointment required a short trip to France to be consecrated, so he left the day-to-day paperwork and tasks to Chad. But Wilfred's trip turned into an extended stay for the new Bishop of York. In the meantime, though, King Oswiu of Northumbria got a little impatient awaiting Wilfred's return from France, so he went ahead and appointed Chad to the post of Bishop of York instead!

When Wilfrid finally came back home, there was a little dispute about who should carry the title of Archbishop of York (arguably, the second most powerful clerical position in England). The archbishop of Canterbury stepped in and ruled that Chad should step down. Chad responded that he had never thought himself worthy of the position in the first place, that he took it through obedience, and he would surrender it through obedience.

Chad would soon get another noteworthy position, and after his death, miracles were attributed to his relics -- thus earning him the title of Saint. When March 2nd comes around, we doubt that Al or W. will be feasting on the feast day of St. Chad. But, the Church's prayer for the day is a fitting one for Mr. Gore: "Almighty God, whose servant Chad, for the peace of the Church, relinquished cheerfully the honors that had been thrust upon him, only to be rewarded with equal responsibility: Keep us we pray, from thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought to think, and ready at all times to step aside for others."

-------------------------
© 2000 Gregory Kohs
Editor -- American Cynic
http://www.AmericanCynic.com
-------------------------

via Funny You Should say That, issue #839
“(FYSST) is a daily e-column compiled from various web sources by Lee Daniel Quinn. There are 3,432+ words defined in the archives of FYSST”
Lee Daniel Quinn <words@iop.com>

#12297 12/07/00 04:28 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I did hear a report on St. Chad air on National Public Radio yesterday morning. I'd have to admit that if I were sent to France in the 7th Century, I might stay for a couple of years, too.

#12298 12/07/00 06:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks to Mav for coming up with the explanation of the reasons for St Chad's canonisation.

What worries me is that the American populace might cannon Al Gore if he doesn't concede PDQ. I'd hate to have to think of him as St Algore of Tennessee. After all, even Tennessee didn't want him!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 763 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith