Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#12060 12/10/00 01:18 AM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Sir, When there is another chat would you consider making a separate post in the announcements...with its own tag-line such as : CLICK INSIDE FOR CHAT. This would be a great help and much easier than scrolling through all the posts to try and find it only to discover it won't work!
Really sorry I missed the chat. It's a wonderful idea and I hope you'll do it again. I think it may have been my machine. I had some problems which righted when I checked all, shut down then restarted. Sigh!
While I've your ear, thank you for this board.
(Namaste emoticon here)
Ann (WOW)

#12061 12/10/00 01:57 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
The Chat went well AnnaS. Jackie was a very good under all the pressure of having to answer quickly. What was also nice was that you could have private message conversations with the other participants while waiting.

One thing though, in the live chats, you are supposed to write in a stream of consciousness way, without hitting the enter key. If you hit the enter key it sends off your message. I think I sent two or three questions that only said -"Jackie," and one question only partly asked.

One thing I found uncomfortable was waiting for answers. A) I didn't know if Jackie was waiting for questions
b) I didn't know if anybody had asked the same questions as I did - which would tie up the line needlessly.

And you can't check your spelling. Ugh when you see it up there on the board, unable to change it. So next time, you can be sure I will be typing more slowly and re-reading myself before pressing enter key.

The editor of the OED is up next on the 19th. I will be thinking of the questions to ask in advance. I am looking forward to it.

#12062 12/10/00 01:58 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
wow, can you describe what a namaste looks like when you do it. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

#12063 12/10/00 01:39 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
can you describe what a namaste looks like when you do it.
Without using my hands ?? Mercy !! Let me see, hmmmmmmm.
My Intro : was when I first met my friend Roshan at the Indian pavilion at the 1964-65 World's Fair in New York City. He taught me .
How To: Place hands together palm-to-palm, raise hands so that the thumbs are roughly at the chin, simultaneously bow head slightly.
It is a greeting of respect. It is my understanding that a smile while executing the Namaste shows affectionate respect. It is also used when saying "thank you" ... the exact translation of the word, sometimes said while making the gesture, is a greeting like the Hawaiian "Aloha" ....many lovely meanings. Perhaps Anu (insert Namaste emoticon of deep respect here) would tell us more about the use of the gesture and the real meaning of the word Namaste.
Does this help?
I welcome any comment and/or further info and/or corrections to my understanding on how Namaste is said or used by the members of AWADtalk.
Aloha, WOW

W
OP Offline
W
A transcript of the chat is posted at http://wordsmith.org/chat/jackie.html.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well now--it was most interesting to read the transcript!
I see that there were some things left out. The only relevant thing left out, I think, was an important word in
one of belMarduk's questions: the way it is shown, she asks if I was raised in a family. But I recall reading the question at the time as: "Were you raised in a wordie family?". Makes rather a difference.

Some of the other things left out were the partial questions and answers. Several people wrote to me afterwards, and apparently I was not the only one to be surprised that hitting the Enter key sent the thing.

I was very glad to hear others' experiences--there were things that I didn't know. For example, apparently all of you could only see one question at a time. They were all on my screen, or at least all that Anu sent me--2 or 3, usually, and scrolled up as things were entered.

I was also unaware of private chats going on--was that what you meant, Jo, when you said your husb. was Bel's partner?

What you all may not have known is that I couldn't initiate anything: I could only respond! It was...quite an experience. I um, hope everyone keeps in mind that this was really a test run for Anu's new set-up. As I told a friend, it's not like I have a wealth of information that people are dying to hear. Made me rather squirmy, actually.
But anything for our Chief.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
>was that what you meant, Jo, when you said your husb. was Bel's partner?

I missed the chat session but read the transcript. Well done, Jackie and everyone there!

I, too, was most intrigued and had to read Jo's post several times before I realized that Jo and Bel aren't sharing a man. I sincerely hope that what she meant by her expression 'My husband (partner to Bel) has been a guest...' is that the word she uses for a male spouse is 'husband', where Bel would use the term 'partner'. I laughed and laughed when I realized my misunderstanding.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

I missed the chat session but read the transcript. Well done, Jackie and everyone there!

I agree wholeheartedly. I was very disappointed to have missed it, and the transcript confirms how well Jackie handled the challenge. Her interrogators deserve commendation also, for the thoughful questions posed. The only flaw was that the whole thing seems to have been over far too quickly. I wonder if Anu would consider having some of the other founding members, like tsuwm and jo, as guests at some future time.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
>I sincerely hope that what she meant by her expression 'My husband (partner to Bel) has been a guest...' is that ...

Er, just checked bel's original definition for partner and I got it wrong again.http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=9799

Either Jo was having a dig at bel for her definition of the word partner or Jo works with her (own) husband, or ...? Think I'd better desist from answering for other people and stick to something I know about.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

I agree as well. I'm really sorry to have missed it. I did wake up, but an hour too late. My fault -- my biological clock is getting rusty. The next one's at 11 p.m. here, past my bedtime but I can do this.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith