Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
veteran
veteran
F
Sad to say 7pm-8pm is kiddies' bedtime (for which the whole world stops) so I'll probably be unable to attend.

But try to enjoy yourselves anyway, folks!

Fisk

P.S. Will a transcript of the chat be available afterwards?

#12041 12/07/00 01:20 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I have problems with time; I tried five minutes ago to to log out, and the to log in again, and I received the message
Your last logon was at: Thu Dec 7 08:07:46 2000
Here (Italy) it is 3 p.m.(+ 7 hours)
I suppose
1) that the time of the Board is the time Est supposed for the chat
2) that I am no more than one hour far from the Greenwich time.
So there is a contradiction that I am not able to solve!
Help me!
Emanuela

#12042 12/07/00 01:37 PM
old hand
old hand
In reply to:

I suppose
1) that the time of the Board is the time Est supposed for the chat
2) that I am no more than one hour far from the Greenwich time.

Good point Emanuela.

It would appear that Board time is 6, not 5, hours behind GMT (I will confirm with this post). There is, however, the possibility that Board time is not Eastern Seaboard Time, but one hour behind. I am on GMT right now (hey, I only live a few miles from Greenwich) since we reverted from Summer Time a month and a half ago, and I too seem to be an hour out.

Let's see... Maybe the almighty Anu has a solution. (Yes Chief? Please? [supplicant emoticon])

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Postscriptum (or should this be postpostum?): Confirmed after posting this. The Board is 6 hours, not 5, shy of my time, and therefore presumably 7 hours from you.

#12043 12/07/00 02:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
for whatever reason, the board seems to be on Central Standard Time (which is convenient for me :).
and for what it's worth, here is a time zone map:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/AA/faq/docs/us_tzones.html

#12044 12/07/00 03:09 PM
old hand
old hand
for whatever reason, the board seems to be on Central Standard Time

So Emanuela was right. There is black in the dal! Anu was giving us standard time zones, not necessarily the Board time. Thanks tsuwm.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
As well as the hongi, Max? You'd wind up banging heads with a pleen-quordleing scream of pain!

Fortunately, I reserve the hongi for tangata whenua, the only people who don't seem intimidated by it!

#12046 12/07/00 08:43 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
the board seems to be on Central Standard Time

My guess would be that it is in Eastern Standard Time (Anu does live in Cleveland), but it doesn't pay attention to Daylight Savings Time (like the strange states of Indiana and New Mexico).

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
"Should I kiss or not kiss?/Should I kiss on the lips or the cheek?/One cheek or two?/Should I contact or air-kiss?/Should I hug?/With or without mutual back-slapping?". The permutations of disastrous greetings/introductions are almost endless!

Hi Marty,

I am assuming by your post that you do not live in a "kissing zone", and the phenomenon is relatively new. The rules are different depending upon which country you are in so you won't get a straight dictionary-like explanation. Here is what we (in Québec Drum ) usually stick to.

Men…
a) do not kiss each other (well some do, but we won't talk about that here )
b) kiss women family members and friends on both cheeks when greeting hello and goodbye but generally only when the women initiate it
c) shake hands with business associates/contacts et al
d) hug men only when the person is going through extremely troubling times (eg. death in family) and only when it is a family member or very close friend
d) shake hands with family members to congratulate them on good news
e) shake hands and do that "lean-in with one shoulder while still grasping the hand and tapping on the back thing", when they are congratulating a family member or close friend on good news (eg. wife just had baby, got married, and, and, well, that's about it. No other good news warrants all that touching)

Women…
a) kiss family members and friends on both cheeks when greeting hello and goodbye
b) kiss on both cheeks and hug a person they particularly like if they have not seen each other for a while, if they see the person is in need of some emotional support (anything from a bad breakup to a death in family) if they are sharing happy news (pregnancies et al) and anytime they darn well feel like it.
c) in business - shake hands if relationship is, how can I explain this, if it is all lines and square corners.
- kiss on both cheeks when the relationship is friendly/business. But this is only when two French people are dealing with one another. There is no business kissing when English people are involved as they tend to be much more reserved.

Kissing on the lips is only done with a significant other (how is that for covering all the bases).

#12048 12/07/00 08:57 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
So when do we have to log on? I am seriously confused. I don't want to miss it but I am afraid I will either be an hour too early or an hour too late. Right now, my time is one hour ahead of the board (it is later in the day for me).

#12049 12/07/00 09:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anu specified 2 PM EST (7 PM UTC); that would be 2PM your time, bel?!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith