Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
old hand
old hand
J
What are we going to talk about Jackie? Kentucky, the gutter and the new Cezanne?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What are we going to talk about Jackie?

That'll be up to Anu. He is going to moderate the talk
(okay, okay, chat).

Now look, you-all--you-all're gonna run me up to 1100 if you keep up these direct-address kind of posts, and I'm trying to let tsuwm get there first.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

PS May we have a namaste (phonetic from the Hindi, I hope)emoticon.

Great idea - we'll ask Avy, Anu and Shanks to design one for us. I use namaste all the time - together with the clasped hands and nodded bow it has an elegance, deference and courtesy about it that I love.

#12033 12/07/00 12:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie confesses: "you-all're gonna run me up to 1100 if you keep up these direct-address kind of posts, and I'm trying to let tsuwm get there first."

And the Vicar posted on 4 Dec 00: "Jackie's ... taken some sort of ascetic vow of non-posting in order to purify her soul during this most holy season of Advent."

I love to say I told you so.

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
> together with the clasped hands and nodded bow it has an elegance, deference and courtesy about it that I love.

Max
Although a lot of people here now use the handshake, but Namaste, like the Saree, will never go out of fashion.

There is an enjoyable awkwardness that results from the use of both the namaste and the hand shake. You have just been introduced to the other you greet the person with hands folded in a Namaste to realize the other has his hand held out in an expectance of a shake. So you quickly change and hold out your hand only to find his hand is not there. He has withdrawn his hand to fold it to a Namaste. One person still has a hand held out and the other has his folded. You can carry on like that for a while making no contact at all.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
In reply to:

There is an enjoyable awkwardness that results from the use of both the namaste and the hand shake. You have just been introduced to the other you greet the person with hands folded in a Namaste to realize the other has his hand held out in an expectance of a shake. So you quickly change and hold out your hand only to find his hand is not there. He has withdrawn his hand to fold it to a Namaste. One person still has a hand held out and the other has his folded. You can carry on like that for a while making no contact at all.

I love it, Avy! The namaste/handshake greeting dilemma adds another dimension to "Should I kiss or not kiss?/Should I kiss on the lips or the cheek?/One cheek or two?/Should I contact or air-kiss?/Should I hug?/With or without mutual back-slapping?". The permutations of disastrous greetings/introductions are almost endless!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I'd love to come, but 2 a.m. [weep]

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
MQ said, by way of greeting: I use namaste all the time - together with the clasped hands and nodded bow it has an elegance, deference and courtesy about it that I love

As well as the hongi, Max? You'd wind up banging heads with a pleen-quordleing scream of pain!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bingley said, from under Jakarta's blanket of morning "mist": I'd love to come, but 2 a.m.(various emoticons)[weep].

Isn't there just something so, ah, interesting about being invited to an event on what is actually the day after the event has been an' gawn? I begin to understand Max's temporally-challenged choice of sobriquet for this board.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
"What? Misbehave. Me? Why I never"

Nobody suggeted that Jackie was going to misbehave, did they - they just asked her to behave

This injunction does not preclude her behaving badly.

Anyway, I'll try to be there, if my new abacus can be convinced to communicate through the sub-ether.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 340 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith