Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#119088 01/09/04 02:41 PM
OP Offline
we old timers set up our preferences to veiw 99 post per page...

You're so smart! Thanks for that tip. I just modified my preferences. That's going to save a lot of time and end some frustration. Thank you, of troy!

#119089 01/09/04 11:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You can change the typeface in which the board is displayed at the same location. I chose Garamond because it is elegant and refined .. sorta like me.

#119090 01/10/04 05:36 PM
D
addict
addict
D
you can change the typeface PAH, I should be so lucky. Linux laughs at any attempt to change font, it smiles sweetly and ignores me completely, but it is worth it, it is, it is, I just have to keep telling myself that.

#119091 01/10/04 06:43 PM
G
addict
addict
G
I chose Garamond because it is elegant and refined .. sorta like me ...

... in an 18th Century sorta way.

Sorry, Father Steve. I couldn't resist that after you described your sweet bride's creative use of "undecorate" as a "barbarism".

Perhaps you meant "BarBQism". She might(?) find that more palatable.

"Decorating" a Christmas tree sounds like a lot more fun than "dressing" one. That may explain why no-one ever "dresses" a Christmas tree.

It would also explain why no-one ever "undresses" a Christmas tree.

If we can "dress" and "undress" a Christmas tree [which no-one is much interested in doing ... and who can blame them, it does sound stuffy, doesn't it?]. why shouldn't we be allowed to "decorate" and "undecorate" a Christmas tree?

#119092 01/12/04 03:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I said: "I chose Garamond because it is elegant and refined .. sorta like me>"

And Grapho said: "... in an 18th Century sorta way."

And I reply: That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me all week, perhaps in a fortnight.

#119093 01/12/04 12:29 PM
G
addict
addict
G
That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me all week, perhaps in a fortnight.

My pleasure, Father Steve.

Those were simpler, perhaps even nobler, times.

Sometimes, I wish I could go back there myself.

#119094 01/12/04 01:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My sweet bride and I just watched a DVD of "Man of the Century" -- the story of a young man in 1999 who lives (dresses, speaks, eats, smokes, romances) as if it were 1928. It was quite good, really.

#119095 01/12/04 01:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
simpler, perhaps even nobler, times

Ah, yes. As my old pappy used to say, "Whatever became of the good old days, when we used to say, 'Whatever became of the good old days?'?"

#119096 01/12/04 02:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Those were simpler, perhaps even nobler, times. Sometimes, I wish I could go back there myself.

have you never read Dickens? or had a storm or electic failure leave you with out power for a day or two? or worse yet, not have running (CLEAN) water available to you for 48 hours?

there are plenty of things wrong with society today... but i don't think times past were kinder, gentler or nobler.. they were harsher, more brutal, and lives were shorter.

i know for myself, my family lived in relative luxury. (in dublin 150 years ago) which is why i am alive today.. they escaped the worst of the potato famine because they were employed (as stock men and house servants to rich english)

they were smart--my g.grandfather was a stock broker in the days when that meant he bought and sold stock, (ie, cattle, sheep,horses!) he wasn't independant, but smart enough to get work for an english/company family, and he travelled to the continent, and lived well.--his father was also a stock broker, but only in ireland..

of course living well at the time meant very little, (even the british crown wasn't exempt from the ravages of cholara,) and as house servants, the distaff side had it better than the bulk of the irish populace, but still, as a family, they were bared from owning property in their own right,(men and women both) and could look forward to short, sickly lives (my grandfather died from complications of TB-in the relitively easier times of the second half of the last century.)

and my children can also look to their fathers side and not find lives much easier or nobler
one of their paternal g.grandparents was 'left behind'(she was sick with measles) when the family emigrated west on the oregon trail (before civil war). she was supposed to follow her family, and travel with the next west bound wagon train, but the civil war interupted.. after the war, her 'step parents' alleged they had lost track of the family, and there was no one to send her too.

she was kept on, in virtual sevitude till she was 21 and married. years later when her step parents died, she found a stack of letters from her family in Oregon, begging for her to be sent west.. but many years had past, and she though her parent would likely be dead as well.. she tried, but had no success in finding any siblings.

an other paternal g.grandparent was born to a civil war veterian-one who survived Andersonville prision, (but lost a leg) --obviously these people were grand scale survivors.. times were hard, life was tough...and i for one, am please to have running water, and good lighting, and personal liberty, and all the other perqs of modern day life!

i don't think the southern inflicted any 'special' treatment on the union soldiers at andersonville, the south was suffering, and many were starving.. but there is nothing noble out what happened there!

(you could be one of those people (i think not) who believe they are reincarnated.. have you ever noticed, all those that do, were always a lord or lady, or king or queen in their past lives? i suspect if i had a past life, i would have been a barefoot, illiterate milk maid, who died young and foolishly)

OP Offline
Hi of troy

Those are great family stories you have there. I hope they are all written down in detail somewhere for your own kids.

there are plenty of things wrong with society today... but i don't think times past were kinder, gentler or nobler.. they were harsher, more brutal, and lives were shorter.

Agreed. Plus there is that little matter of dying in child-birth; one of the major killers of women before the advent of birth-control, antibiotics, sterile surgical practices and anesthesia.

Actually, just being a woman before women were allowed to vote, own land, make a decent wage (has that happened yet?) or have any kind of control over their bodies would be a real bummer for me. Of course, women in some societies now still don't have those options.

I suppose if I could go back to the 18th century as a rich man of property in a fairly temperate climate, I might consider it. Then again, probably not.

BTW, have you watched the PBS documentaries where they transport real families into different times?

Frontier House
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/project/speakout.html

1900's House
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/1900house/

My favorite so far:
Manor House
http://www.pbs.org/manorhouse/

And the newest one coming up is Colonial House:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/colonialhouse/

What eye-opening experiements in socio-psychology. Also, better them than me.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith