Print Thread
#118679 01/03/04 02:15 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Down in Meta-words Wordwind posted term "oculus", which is a small round window. In looking it up I found this encyclopedia new to me, with many marvelous words about
architecture. Well worth browsing.
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/TA.HTM

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
that's a good site, Bill, thanks. the music dictionary is pretty extensive. I haven't checked out any of the others, yet.
though I hate all those flashing ads...

formerly known as etaoin...
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear etaoin: I hate flashing ads too, but if they make possible the reference site, I can overlook them.

F
addict
addict
F
It is a very thorough architectural dictionary, with good illustrations. It's Anglo-centric, and while some terms are slightly different, architectural jargon is pretty universal around the English-speaking world. The funny thing about architectural dictionaries as a professional is, if I have to look the term up, there's a good chance the person I'm talking to isn't familiar with the term either, so I'm better off just explaining what I mean in simpler terms.

Good find, Bill. I'll be bookmarking it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I attempted to send Flatlander a PM about his last post. I wanted to ask why, if he is willing to tell us that he is an architect in a post, he does not list his occupation, on his bio page, as "architect." Then I discovered that he/she does not accept private messages, nor does he/she provide an e-mail address to which one can send.

So I'll address this inquiry more broadly to us all: if you are going to disclose something like your occupation in the body of a message, why not also list it on your bio page, so that newcomers can see what you do for a living, if they wonder about something in one of your posts?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
he does not list his occupation

Looks to me like his occupation is 'architectural dictionary.' Maybe he just thought it would raise more questions than it answered if he mentioned that on his bio page.

"The funny thing about architectural dictionaries as a professional is…"

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
That's a really nifty site Dr. Bill! Thanks

F
addict
addict
F
Father Steve,

Sorry your PM didn't get through, I do accept them, though [see edit below]. I am not an architect, but an historic preservationist -- I work for a state agency that awards grants for rehabilitating historic proterties -- and I didn't fill that out in my bio page simply because I generally don't like posting personal information on web forums, as I don't know who will be reading the info. That said, since I'm more trusting of AWADtalk than I am of any of the other boards I try to keep up with, I'll update my Profile here to be a little bit more informational. Frankly, it's just a matter of out of sight, out of mind -- I haven't even thought about it since I've "come back". Thanks for the reminder, Padre!

[EDIT]: In checking my profile, I noticed that PMs were disabled, but I have been receiving at least some over the past few weeks (specifically from wwh). While I am not opposed to giving The Good Doctor special priveleges, I wonder how that was possible.

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Father Steve: I'm surprised that I was more fortunate than any other member in being able to send you a PM. I think PMs should be used more often, to avoid posts properlyonly of interest to two parties. And particularly to avoid posts capable of hurting some members feelings,or
holding them up to ridicule.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith