Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#11646 - 12/02/00 01:57 AM Re: Anu - say it ain't so!
Max Quordlepleen Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In reply to:

Sheep too

And I thought it was only the New Zealanders who brought "sheep" into every conversation.

Et ewe, Anna? I am sick and tired of people ramming sheep jokes down my throat at aevery opportunity, and I won't put tup with it any more - I refuse to have a baa of it. It's shear rudeness, wether you think so or not.

#11647 - 12/02/00 07:46 AM Re: Anu - say it ain't so!
Capital Kiwi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Northamptonshire, England
Annastrophic wrote:

And I thought it was only the New Zealanders who brought "sheep" into every conversation

Ah well, New Zealand is a great place to live. 40 million sheep can't be wrong, can they? Trouble is, you get fleeced by everyone and have the wool pulled over your eyes at every opportunity. Along with bad puns. But it's all a bit of a dag ...

#11648 - 12/02/00 03:02 PM Sheep shot
FishonaBike Offline
veteran

Loc: Sussex, England
And I thought it was only the New Zealanders who brought "sheep" into every conversation.

That's only because the Welsh don't talk about it.

mav, we're waiting!

#11649 - 12/02/00 03:13 PM Plurality of plurals
FishonaBike Offline
veteran

Loc: Sussex, England
Is opera the other onliest word's got its own plural when it's already a plural?

Nope, trust me to note that fish is its own plural, but talking about fishes ain't restricted to kids.

One from a pool of FishesonBikes

P.S. Nice to meet you Faldage.

#11650 - 12/02/00 04:12 PM Re: Plurality of plurals
belMarduk Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Can the word HAIR be classified as it's own plural. You say HAIRS in some circumstances (eg. there were two hairs in my soup) and HAIR in others (he has a full head of hair).

#11651 - 12/03/00 10:51 PM Re: Anu - say it ain't so!
Marty Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
In reply to:

Is opera the other onliest word's got its own plural when it's already a plural?

Although I wouldn't have expressed the question in quite those words, I understood Faldage to be making a distinction between "got its own plural" and "is its own plural", i.e. that opera (works) is the plural of opus (a work), but opera is also used in the singular sense of a musical drama, for which the plural is, presumably, operas, as in "I have seen three operas this year." Interestingly enough, although explicit in their listing of the two senses of opera, the online dictionaries were strangely silent on the plural of "an opera". It appears that a Latin plural has become an Italian singular??

Agenda is a word that is a plural (of agendum), but is often pluralized itself to agendas. The latter smacks of misuse of Latin to me, but some dictionaries seem to have accepted it. dictionary.com tries to justify it like this: http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=agendas
(I even found the repugnant "agendums"!)

Doubtless there are other similar -um/-a/-as examples.

And humble apologies, Faldage, if I have misrepresented you.

#11652 - 12/04/00 06:14 AM Re: Plurality of plurals
Bingley Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jakarta
In reply to:

Can the word HAIR be classified as it's own plural. You say HAIRS in some circumstances (eg. there were two hairs in my soup) and HAIR in others (he has a full head of hair).

Not really. English, thank goodness, doesn't bother with noun genders much, but the difference between countable nouns and uncountable nouns (aka mass nouns) is crucial. For example pig is countable (1 pig, 2 pigs), pork is uncountable (and so has no plural). Some nouns can be either depending on the exact meaning, e.g. paper (the substance) is uncountable, but paper (= document) is countable (She threw the papers into the air in despair). Similarly hair can mean an (uncountable) collection or mass (I ran my fingers through his hair absentmindedly) or a (countable) item (He found two blond hairs floating in the soup).

Bingley

#11653 - 12/04/00 08:11 AM You done good, Marty.
Faldage Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So whaddaya wanna do tonight?

And would sheep be an infinitely regressive plural?

Fish is the plural of a single species, e.g., three lake trout is three fish, fishes is used when the individual are of different species, e.g., a lake trout, a muskie and a rainbow trout would be three fishes. Naw, that doesn't taste right (thanks, xara, I like that phrase). Fishes is more generic. Lake trout, muskie and rainbow trout are three fishes

#11654 - 12/04/00 10:39 AM Re: Anu - say it ain't so!
shanks Offline
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Not just opera and agenda, but what about the current corruption: media used as a singular (and then, even worse, ofttimes developing a 'regular' plural: medias).

And what about the word people, which is, in general, a non-countable (yet plural) word, and can itself be pluralised: "the peoples of southern India tend to share a fondness for coconut milk as a cooking medium."

#11655 - 12/04/00 01:43 PM Re: You done good, Marty.
Jackie Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Welcome, Faldage! Sorry belated--been an unwilling prisoner in the land of no connectivity again.

Okay--if you've read much of this Board in older threads, you already know my mind wanders to the gutter pretty easily, so I have to ask: you said:
So whaddaya wanna do tonight?

And would sheep be an infinitely regressive plural?

Does the first statement lead into (ooh, Baaa-ad, Jackie!)
the second?

Also--speaking of gutter: revealing yet more of my ignorance--I just found out from an article that that statement from an old post about lying in the gutter but looking up at the stars is on Oscar Wilde's statue.

Also--I am convinced that three different kinds of fish are still fish.
--------------------------------------------------------

shanks, you put: "the peoples of southern India tend to share a fondness for coconut milk as a cooking medium."

Have the media been informed of this?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8714 Members
16 Forums
13801 Topics
214451 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
discopig, Byz, EdithBraemar, sherilla, AnonAmos
8714 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Bazr), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
Bazr 116
LukeJavan8 86
wofahulicodoc 86
endymion6 83
jenny jenny 61
A C Bowden 35
Tromboniator 8
Faldage 4
olly 3
zmjezhd 2
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13799
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10513
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
AnnaStrophic 6511
LukeJavan8 6300
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith