Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#116560 11/26/03 03:39 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Black velveteen knickers, white athletic sox; shoes with turned-up toes, a red vest covered in tea bags, a Napoleon hat with a veil; and a shirt with a lace jabot frill.
Bright red lipstick and a black beauty spot!
Whatever you decide post a picture!
And carry that frame - it's a great idea!
And no, I am not on acid. Just imaginative!
P.S. And for Heaven's sake : Drive Carefully!

#116561 11/26/03 04:15 PM
M
addict
addict
M
I am not very adventurous at all and so don't have many ideas; I would have probably thought of a bottle with label saying acid and a tea bag inside it; or maybe an earl in a grey frock or some such thing....I know, I know...alternating
The ideas here are simply great though! gh, what are you going to do about the lovely aroma and do post a picture of the costume once you are ready!

#116562 11/26/03 04:41 PM
D
addict
addict
D
I used to work in a fancy dress shop, designing looks and putting together outfits for parties and the occasional TV show. With such a vague brief there is plenty of room for personal interpretation. Clockwork Orange springs to mind, or, obviously, Alice in Wonderland.
HOWEVER, here is a short list of do's and dont's for fancy dress ( you may feel these are obvious but you'd be surprised how often these mistakes spoil parties):

1. Do not wear anything that covers your face: helmets, full mask or cumbersome hat. You will be too hot, unable to talk to anybody and unable to drink, eat or smoke.
2. Do not wear anything that extends more than 8 inches from your waist, tops. You will destroy your outfit, knock stuff over and you won't be able to sit down.
3. Do experiment with make-up, it's cheap and versatile. Once you've decided on your look, lay a tissue over your face and brush some powder over it. Do this several times on your lippy.
4. If you are using a synthetic material against your skin ( PVC, sateen, spandex etc) wear a light cotton undershirt and talc. You will sweat buckets, and this will spoil your outfit, including your hair and your makeup will run.
5. Decide on what type of person you are, if you are going to get tired of people asking you what your costume is then GO AS SOMETHING OBVIOUS.
6. Keep it simple, some of the best outfits I've seen for interpretative themes are based on plain black body ( t-shirt and trousers) with appropriate make-up ( psychedelic?) and accessories.

#116563 11/26/03 07:56 PM
OP Offline
Black velveteen knickers, white athletic sox; shoes with turned-up toes, a red vest covered in tea bags, a Napoleon hat with a veil; and a shirt with a lace jabot frill. Bright red lipstick and a black beauty spot!

Cool, wow! That's a super image. I think I'd actually look cute in the outfit you described.

I'm still trying to decide what to be, but your idea is on the top of the lot.

I'll definitely take photos and report back after the party. Thanks!

#116564 11/26/03 08:05 PM
OP Offline
Thank you, dodyskin!

Your tips are very helpful. Wish you could come over and help me get my act together. Sounds like you are an expert...and I'm always in need of adult supervision.

Seriously, I'm amazed at how clever all of you are. I knew I'd get some good input from the smart folks here, but I'd no idea how much sheer creativity was amassed at AWAD. All of you are quite impressive! Thanks again!

#116565 11/27/03 03:19 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Given the excellent suggestions from dodyskin (clever you dodyS)I would modify the hat to a tiara!
Wheeee! sounds like great fun! Envious-e.
Makes me wish I could wangle an invite, ah, well. Sigh.

#116566 11/30/03 03:22 PM
OP Offline
Makes me wish I could wangle an invite, ah, well. Sigh.

Consider yourself invited! Seriously, I wish I could invite all of you to my book group. It certainly would improve the discussion quality. Unfortunately, the Stepford Wives in my neighborhood have a limited conversational repertoire. The people here at AWAD are definitely a breath of fresh air. I wish you lived in my neck-of-the-woods. Oh well.

Now, if only I could find a Napoleon hat. Hmmm...

#116567 12/01/03 11:25 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Black velveteen knickers, white athletic sox; shoes with turned-up toes, a red vest covered in tea bags, a Napoleon hat with a veil; and a shirt with a lace jabot frill.
Bright red lipstick and a black beauty spot!
Whatever you decide post a picture!
And carry that frame - it's a great idea!
And no, I am not on acid. Just imaginative!

P.S. And for Heaven's sake : Drive Carefully!
Yes, can you imagine the officers reaction to that outfit if you get pulled over for speeding!!!

#116568 12/06/03 09:48 PM
OP Offline
Thanks to everyone for your wonderful input and enthusiasm.

I just purchased the last item for the tea party costume today. Likely not as exciting as some of your more creative suggestions, but it is cute, if I do say so myself...and I do. So, here is my ensemble:

Black velvet sleeveless dress with 'burned-out' floral pattern (black on black). Most assuredly a reproduction of a 1920's design.

Old black velvet shawl with 12" fringe.

Black velvet pumps.

Wrist-length, fingerless black-net gloves.

Elaborate black-beaded choker & black earrings to match.

And last but not least, a small black velvet hat with veil, c.1920, which I just bought today at a vintage store in Mt. Dora, FL.

I'm really pleased with the look and will be able to reuse most of the items again for other occasions (though I'm not sure what I'll do with the hat).

Thanks again to all!

#116569 12/13/03 04:50 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Not to worry. HAts are making a comeback!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith