Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#116169 11/19/03 01:44 AM
M
addict
addict
M
Ok, WW, you are probably right. So, I shall now add 'The Thomas Crowne Affair', for pure fun. And there's a Jackie Chan and ?Chris Tucker movie which also has a sequel, that I remember laughing a lot with. Am spacing out on the name of the movie though! Does anyone know what I am talking about? I think it begins with an "H".

#116170 11/19/03 02:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Any vintage Woody Allen movie: Annie Hall, Love and Death, Manhattan, Sleeper, etc.

The Producers, Mel Brooks

Angels With Dirty Faces (did Cagney fake his cowardice on the way for the chair for the sake of the kids, or was it real?...one of the most perfectly played scenes in cinematic history..and Cagney took his interpretation to the grave with him, so we'll never know)

The Quiet Man

To Kill A Mockingbird

African Queen

Hitchcock's "Rear Window"

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

The Time of Their Lives (Abbot and Costello)

Bonnie and Clyde (never get tired of this one)

Jaws (or this one)

The Hustler (Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason)

Mr. Roberts

Miracle on 34th Street

Holiday Inn, White Christmas

Alistair Sims' "A Christmas Carol"

Ocean's 11 (the original)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

All the original horror flicks, Dracula (Lugosi), Frankenstein (Karloff), The Wolfman (Chaney), The Bride of Frankenstein, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc.

Invaders from Mars (the original)

Man of 1,000 Faces (Lon Chaney bio starring James Cagney in one of the most brilliant performances of his illustrious career...a wonderful film...if you've missed this one, you're missing a gem, see it immediately)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

The Hasty Heart

Shane

Field of Dreams

Pride of the Yankees

#116171 11/19/03 10:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mars Attacks!
EArth Girls Are Easy (I love that one, too, wow!)
Still Breathing (and almost all the other off the wall Brendon Frasier flicksIs that guilt enough?
Like Water for Chocolate
Solo y Caminando por la Calle

There was a movie I saw once in the theater and once on the TV. I can't remember the name of it, but it was animated, humans were pets and wore collars that prohibited them from straying. Some escaped and had formed a society out in the wilds. Can someone tell me the name of this flick?

#116172 11/19/03 12:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bruce Willis in Die Hard(s)

I only saw the first one, but, such creative use of music! The string quartet reduction of the Ode to Joy section from Beethoven's 9th twisted to the ominous as Bruce is crawling through the walls and ceilings of the building. And the ending as Bruce and his new found LA cop friend stand in the pissing-down rain watching the building in its new role of torch to the strains of "the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful…"

#116173 11/20/03 11:46 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I hardly know how to respond to this post, as many others are listing perfectly fine movies as "guilty pleasures" ("Monty Python & the Holy Grail" and "Like Water For Chocolate" for instance). I would include those as fine films I'm proud to have watched. A few guilty pleasures:

That Thing You Do
Ronin
Swamp Thing
Reanimator

#116174 11/20/03 12:13 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Barbarella.

#116175 11/20/03 01:24 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Oh, where to begin?

All of the Monty Pythons, of course, plus anything that Terry Gillam has produced. I never get tired of "Every Sperm is Sacred" from "The Meaning of Life". I crease as soon as Michael Palin starts in ...

I love anything that Tarantino does, although I haven't seen the latest one yet. "Pulp Fiction" is probably my all-time favourite movie. I never get tired of its off-beat wackiness and I recently sprung for £10 to buy the DVD.

Marty Feldman in "Every Home Should Have One" is hilarious. "Impromptu" (one of Hugh Grant's earliest) is as funny as a fight. "Shakespeare in Love" is humorously clever to the point of my ribs hurting.

Now for the "rubbish". I love the SF Schwarzenegger flicks. The "Die Hard" flicks. The Steven Siegal flicks. "All The Usual Suspects". Oh, I dunno, you get the picture (sic)!

#116176 11/20/03 01:44 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Barbarella! Perfect dxb. I'd forgotten that one.
You, consuelo and maahey are right in the spirit.
You all have some interesting choices but... guilty pleasures? I think not.
The Wong Foo Thanks For Everything drag film is a goodie and I watch it when it's on one of the cable networks. Another one I've watched over and over is "Ghost." Along with "Sister Act" (I like that the murder Whoopi sees is left to the imagination.) Those movies are all good light amusement ... but they're well known and realy don't match "Earth Girls Are Easy." The cast is amazing. Unknowns at the time, all stars now. And the songs by Downtown Julie Brown are a riot!
Can'tcha do better?

#116177 11/20/03 01:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I gotta put Arnie flicks on my guilty pleasure list. I loved the one where he kidnapped the airlines check-in clerk, played by Rae Dawn Chong, who was one lesson away from her pilot's license (very important, since his character didn't know how to fly the plane he stole later on in the flick). She followed him kick for kick and punch for punch, all in three inch spikes.

But not backwards

#116178 11/20/03 03:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...and still I get no credit for Plan 9 or Buckaroo Bonzai; good heavens, do I have to put Attack of the Killer Tomatos? or Ishtar?? actually®, I forgot to list all of the Eastwood/Leone spaghetti westerns (and the samurai movies they were ripped off from).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith