Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#115839 11/13/03 04:53 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Situation:

Daughter in GT school, taking algebra in 8th grade.
Assignment:
4 parts, 50 pts each.
(These 4 parts are equivalent to two tests.)

rough summary:
Part 1: some kind of scientific experiment. (don't understand the requirement here, yet)
Part 2: write a diary for a chicken bone you have in a baggie.
Part 3: research egyptian math, write comparison of egyptian math and modern math.
Part 4: research two egyptian gods and write a 3 page fiction story about those gods in modern times. (they actually have several choices for part 4, but this is the one that doesn't require a lot of idiotic, non-subjected related artwork that modern teachers commonly use to even out the grades)

Part 3 is actually a reasonable assignment. Seems heavily weighted, but one could actually learn something from it. Depends on how this is graded, though. There's controversy over what the Egyptians knew and when they knew it. But conceivably this could be done fairly and even if it's not fair, the kids could learn from it.

Part 1 I need to read in more detail. This may or may not be reasonable.

Parts 2 and 4 are busy work - even worse than busy work. Busy work requiring students to do math I can appreciate. Rote *IS* important. But this is beyond nonsensical.

I'm going to contact the school, but I'm a little too annoyed right now to communicate exactly how stupid this is. It doesn't bother me that the phoneys use "integrated curriculum." What bothers me is that they don't integrate anything. I've seen some stupid assignments before, but this is the stupidest.

Even worse: they think they have some vast body of scientific evidence to support the use of this kind of idiocy. (Something worse than people not understanding science, is people having a comic book understanding of it.) It's great that the kids get their horizons broadened, but it would be nice if they learned a little algebra in the process - at least enough that they'll be ready for their next math class. I could tutor her myself, except with this assignment she won't have time for it.

So here are the choices: Spend time with Dad and learn some math or go through with the assignment assiduously and pretend you're learning something important.
Smile really big and after you get the recommendations you need, then you can say what you really think. I told my daughter a long time ago that there would likely come a day when she would have to make a choice between schooling and education. Looks like that day has come a lot sooner than I anticipated.

Almost every day - and at least once a week - my kids learn something that is either wrong or that I strongly disagree with. I try to give them another perspective on the thing, but I'm not going to harass the school every time I have a quibble. So I let them get on with their business most of the time. I've only really blasted them once - several years ago. The principal was practically in tears when I left. (I didn't really blast anyone concerning the logic problem I posted about. I just was persistent.)

I have only intense contempt for people who screw with things "on principle," so I invariably let the small stuff slide. But this one is so utterly asinine, I'm really at a loss. Talked it over with some researchers here at work who think I shouldn't even bother with the teacher. "Go straight to the principal" or "Straight to the superintendent" or "Straight to the news media." But interference is something I always avoid.

Daughter wants me to stay back on this one. She thinks it's completely stupid and timeframe laughably unreasonable, but is worried of consequences if I get involved. OTOH, I think I have right to express an opinion if I think my kid's long term education will suffer.

Another view is that, "Well, she has to learn how to deal with these situations." This is a common view, but it is also nonsensical. If she were being bullied or molested, I could make the same claim. (None of my colleagues has expressed this view, though I was expecting it.) The bottom line is - in addition to all the nice, politically correct junk they're stuffing in my kid's head, are they going to put sufficient mathematics to carry her into her next course? (I know *damned* well from my years of tutoring geometry that most problems the geometry students have are with a lack of understanding of algebra - and often simple arithmetic.)

k

#115840 11/13/03 05:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd say that parts 2 & 4 were reasonable if this weren't a math(s) test. But for algebra?

#115841 11/13/03 05:22 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

I'd say that parts 2 & 4 were reasonable if this weren't a math(s) test. But for algebra?

I'd say the same thing.

k

#115842 11/13/03 05:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd say requiring an essay on a chicken bone in a baggie is cruel and unusual punishment for any child. Oh, I'd say a lot about all this, but I know nothing about teaching nowadays so I'll await other comments.

#115843 11/13/03 05:40 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

It seems to me this is a set of projects for multiple classes. Let's say you want to "integrate" classes around a theme.

Then the science class could do part I (again, I didn't read that part yet, but I'm assuming experiments have something to do with the scientific method).

The math class could do part III.

Parts II and IV could be creative writing for English. (I'm not sure what the point of II is, though. Maybe that's a history thing instead of an English thing.)

If she were coordinating with the other GT teachers and they were all gearing around this, I wouldn't have an issue. As it is, there's a major English project due in the same time frame and there's a volunteer requirement for the Civics grade, so she's gotta have 'some' time to do that.

k

#115844 11/13/03 05:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there is some evidence that ancient egyptians used to divide in half, (act on remainder(1 or 0) which is form of binary mathmatics.. its rather interesting-- a varient of casting out 9's a way of 'proving' a sum that i learned as a child.--details are available.
this could be a very useful -- its about number/bases..and understanding relationships..(between 9 in a decimal based numbering system, and 1 in a binary based system.)

--there are innovative ways of teaching math.. look at
Woollythoughts (can't remember if its a dot com or dot org... is run by 2 teachers in UK who use patterns in knitting to show common denominators, sequences, symetery, patterning, 'set theory' and other interesting mathmatical concepts --that can be made visual ..(again i can get more info if you want) (but they don't expect the kids to develop them, themselves)so arts(and arts and crafts) can be useful to learning math.... maybe you and your daughter could do something similary (the web page has great images..and some could be 'constructed' with paper and glue, rather than being knit..
(but unless this is being taught parts 3 and 4 are a bit suspicious..) still, she could do any arties project that is not idiotic, and still meets requirements for part 4 --not the question about the egyptian gods, but one of the other questions..

oh, yeah, in hierogliphics, the eye of hora is a gliph that means 1, or a whole, completeness-- and different parts of the image, or parts of the gliph, are used to express fractions.. so learning about gliphs, and the egyption concept of gods, does play into math --(not in a very practical way, but..)
my parents made math practical.. (when i complained knowing a formula for area was useless,i'd never need to use it they asked me how to figure out how many rolls of wall paper where needed to cover the walls in my bedroom..

math can be taught as a skill to solve practical problems..

but my parents (mother especially) had a great deal of difficulty with many of the concepts of new math, (number theory, set theory, non-euclidian geometry, and other stuff i was learning.. she wanted to know why i couldn't sum large numbers in my head...or figure out sales tax and add in my head. (i do these things now... but i didn't as a kid). there might be some value to the projects..(but its hard to fathom!) i would talk to teacher.

i like math now because i learned interesting concepts, (and eventually to figure out 8.25% tax on a sales total, and to sum it mentally).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I see now that this four-part exam is not aimed exclusively at algebra students. I was confused before, but then, I'm easily confused.

I'm not sure what the point of II is, though. Maybe
that's a history thing instead of an English thing.

The history of a chicken bone?

Oh, and what does GT stand for?

#115846 11/13/03 06:33 PM
old hand
old hand
So then this is definitely an assignment set for her in maths class? I'd ask for my money back, mate. This is worse than teaching creationism.

I admit I have little natural feeling for those who talk about ways in which maths can be made fun, or taught in a 'relevant' way. But that's simply because I always enjoyed it and needed no additional motivation than the existence of a problem to have a go at it. Only painful experience attempting to tutor my sister showed me that not everybody sees it as fun, or even 'sees' numbers the way I did. Even so, this assignment smacks not jsut of the bizarre, but the truly perverse.

Go get 'em.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

I see now that this four-part exam is not aimed exclusively at algebra students. I was confused before, but then, I'm easily confused.

No. You were confused right the first time. This assignment is being given by the algebra teacher exclusively. The other teachers are not involved. The grade will be only for algebra, and nothing else.

What I'm saying is that IF it had been for several classes with part 1 being for the science classes, part 2 for the history class, part 3 for the math, part 4 for creative writing, THEN this assignment(s) would make a lot more sense and the demands on students' time would be more reasonable.

I'm not sure what the point of II is, though. Maybe
that's a history thing instead of an English thing.

The history of a chicken bone?

I don't know. I'm trying to see things from their perspective. As pissed off as I am, I still have to believe the teacher isn't an idiot and that there was some reason for this thing. I need to read the assignment in more detail, but I think the chicken bone is supposed to represent a mummy - maybe they're even trying to turn it into a mummy of sorts. They have to make daily entries where they "become the chicken bone." And they can't write the things all at once. They have to go through this thing on a daily basis. I dunno. Maybe it's archaeology.

Oh, and what does GT stand for?

Gifted and Talented - which to my mind conveys a bit of unintentional irony.

k

#115848 11/13/03 07:49 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

of_troy,

I think I understand the gist of your point. I agree that mathematics can be used to solve useful problems. This is why they give word problems in algebra. The Egyptians serve as a good contrast they were less abstract than the later Greeks (but I think there's some disagreement about this). One of the good things about algebra is that beyond the actual math, it's the first training that people get in logical thinking, in the principles of problem solving, and in the use of abstract reasoning. We don't have to think about 12 carrots or 12 dogs, but just 12.

The actual mathematical part of the subject is several components which includes (probably among other things):
mathematical vocabulary and notation
inculcation of mathematical principles (postulates, axioms, theorems)
understanding how those principles are applied
translating word problems into mathematical notation
logical connection and inference

Essentially, one is given a set of tools and a bit of training on how to use those tools.

Of course logic is really pounded home in geometry.

English courses are gradually cumulative. Every course is important. Every year students gain vocabulary and insight. This accumulation or accretion of knowledge happens in mathematics as well, of course, but it's much less gradual. There are a number of quantum leaps. Algebra I is such a leap. In my view it's the most important math class any student will ever have. It's a sine qua non for any serious study of mathematics.

It's particularly important for my daughter as she's applying for a magnet school of science and technology. If she gets in, they're going to presume she's adept in it - it's a prerequisite for entry. If she doesn't get in, maybe it's even more important. Will she have other opportunities to compensate for her lack of training her.

When I was younger, I thought the English classes were a waste. "I'll never need this crap!" I was wrong. I wish I knew then what I know now: Nobody knows what they'll need in later years. One of the advantages of a broad, liberal education is that one is prepared for whatever comes one's way.

I wouldn't have a problem if this assignment were divided into 4 courses, but it's utterly unreasonably to have a substantial grade in math be affected by one's artistics ability or their ability to write stories.

k

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Interesting bit of synchronicity here. Let me explain, and then make some comments on the chicken bone assignment.

In English classes, in addition to the expected grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary studies, there is a good amount of reading and discussing of high quality literature. It should without saying that the greater a person's empathetic capacity is, the more likely that that person will be able to understand literary artistic excellence, such as characterization and even irony. If students occasionally go through exercises in which they empathize with either a character or a real life person in an unusual way, the student will begin--with encouragement and direction from a well-meaning teacher--to look at life through other people' eyes, whether fictional or otherwise.

OK. End of mini-lecture and on to assignments to increase empathetic ability:

For example, my kids this fall interviewed each other, took notes, went home, examined their notes, and returned to class to deliver a speech in which they presented themselves as the person they interviewed. This is an example of a basic exercise in developing empathetic awareness. Ninth grade boys presented themselves as girls and vice versa. At first, the speeches were chuckled over--the first couple of speeches. But that initial laughter died down quickly as the audience began to listen to the interesting tales their classmates told about each other--but delivered in first person. Their next public speech, due first class after Thanksgiving, will be a second first person narrative speech, but this time they will present themselves as a character in a book they've read for an oral report. Bonus points given for dressing as the character and having a prop or two.

Now on to the chicken bone. I, too, as assuming this assignment came out of the English class--and, because I like to write, if I were a student, I could have a good time imagining being a chicken bone in a baggie for several days. It could be a very depressing narrative because I might end up in the city dump--or perhaps it could end positively as someone tosses me into the woods, freeing me to become one with the land as I disintegrate. If the assignment was to show in this narrative diary how I was like a mummy, well, I suppose plastic baggies preserve to some extent. I suppose I could do a little research and find out how long I would be preserved in that baggie. Might be interesting to contact a baggie company and talk to a rep.

The value of the assignment would be to imagine origins, development, personal history (of the bone), prospects, potential climax, and denouement. At least, the assignment could be an early attempt at first person narrative--and without having to worry very much about character development. The writer could focus on sequence of the narration and various crises for the bone, and it would probably be fun to decide whether this was a serious or comical bone--a bone of great angst or a Dave Berry bone.

If the assignment is simply as you've stated it: write a diary of a chicken bone in a baggie--well, that's an easy narrative to attack and one in which the writers could use their imaginations scientifically, tragically, or humorously.

Ethically, this assignment would cause some students to consider the lives of chickens--and, who knows, you might consequently end up with a few more vegetarians.

Here's the synchronicity I promised way up top:

When I was talking to my ninth graders today about their first person narrative book report, I said, "You do not have to be the main character. You could choose to speak through one of the main character's relatives or friends. You could speak through the voice of a minor character who observed what was going on. In fact, you could choose to speak through an inianimate object that was present during one of the critical scenes, but..." (I warned them) "...you would have to be very creative in order to pull off a book report told in the voice of a table or a gun or even a room."

And tonight! I read a parent complaining about an assignment in which a student must write the diary of a chicken bone! I'll mention this assignment to my students to let them know that students in a GT program had to write through the voice of a bone.

Remember that method acting in which actors had to be bacon frying on stage?

Anyway, I like the chicken bone assignment although I wouldn't give it to my own students because I would want them to be able to choose their own character--or inanimate object--to narrate through a diary. But I might offer the chicken bone assignment as a bonus assignment out of curiosity what the kids would create.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

This is more than a few days. It's for 30 days. I can see the assignment for an English class. I'm adamant that's it's completely inappropriate for an algebra class.

k

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I'm with you, FF. I can't imagine why a math teacher would assign this chicken bone assignment. Is there some other part of the assignment that is mathematical in any way? More to the picture?

I will be sure to mention this to the algebra teacher on my team tomorrow. She may have some insight into it, but I'm not holding my breath. (How long could a chicken bone hold its breath in a baggie without affixiating?)

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

I don't see any connection of the chicken bone diary to math.

will be sure to mention this to the algebra teacher on my team tomorrow.

I've spoken with a colleague who used to teach 8th and 9th grade algebra.

He said that he has team-taught before and organized (with the appropriate teachers!) around various themes (match-box derby i think was one). My main issue here is 3/4 of the effort of a large project being expended on something related to math.

My daughter's biggest issue is that in the sample schedule the teacher layed out, she only allocated one day for research. The kid spent till 10:30 last night just doing the research on Egyptian gods for part IV. The research on Egyptian math could take weeks - several days at least, if she skimps.

The more I think this through, the more I think it could be a great project if it were actually taught by a team. This is a new teacher. Maybe she doesn't know what's expected of her yet. She's also very new to the school. Maybe she doesn't realize that these projects are meant to be done in conjunction with other classes. They could replace the actual major English research project with the two creative writing sections from this exercise.

I'm still getting a lot of different opinions on the correct course of action.

"Daddy, please don't say anything to her! It could affect my chances! You should consider that Anna has to go to school here in a few years!"

"Keith, man, you should go straight to the principal."

"Get the VSOL section on math and ask the teacher what areas are being addressed by the chicken bone exercise."

One fellow said I should go to the school "right this minute," but if I go, I'm inclined to wait at least till Monday to give the sarcasm a chance to subside.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you might just drop a little email to the teacher saying you're having trouble figuring out how the chicken baggie exercise fits in with algebra. since she's new, she might appreciate having a chance to talk about the idea.

formerly known as etaoin...
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I agree with et'--and then you could report back here and let us know how she explained the connection between the bone and math. By the way, I forgot to ask my colleague, but I will remember next week, I promise.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

The core team (math, science, civics, English) showed up. This worried me at first, but it turns out it was a good thing. I made my points, I think. They agreed with what I was saying and, as it turned out, were already working on ways to improve the assignment by, for example, having the science teacher grade the science related portion and the English teacher grade those portions - and give credit in the appropriate classes.

I made clear that I consider schooling and education to be very different things, education being an attempt to broaden the horizons and also to connect the subject matter from various courses - that is, in general it's an attempt to put the schooling in context. I also made clear that I applaud the fact that they're attempting the more difficult goal, but that the implementation is flawed (severely in my opinion) AND that this is PERFECTLY OKAY so long as at the end of the year the kids (my kid in particular, but all the kids, really) actually understand the algebraic material.

I was half-way expecting it to be a big bash when the whole crew showed up for what I thought was going to be a 2-way, but it turned out they were very receptive to my suggestions. (I spoke for well over half the time, and they never interrupted.) In fact, it seemed like they were grateful to get some feedback. I'm glad I cooled off before I went in and also glad I took it directly to the teacher instead of the principal.

I was tempted to go back and delete my first post or edit it - it was way too harsh. But nope, I'm leaving it.

k

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, don't leave us hanging, for Pete's sake! Tell us about the bone assignment--the objectives. Were the obvious ones behind it (i.e., developing a first person narrative kind of monologue/narrative, developing empathetic capacity--we all need to know the parameters in which a bone could respond to its environment), or were the objectives surprising or, if not surprising, disappointing?

I'm waiting in great suspense...

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Tell us about the bone assignment

I didn't ask the particulars of it, but what you related previously seemed perfectly reasonable. As the English teacher will be the one grading that part, I assume you nailed it.

It's a very odd thing: Math and Science have always been my daughter's favorite subjects, but this year it's French and English.

k

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith