Print Thread
#115492 11/08/03 01:43 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
David (aka Trotwood) Copperfield goes to take tea chez Uriah Heep and his mother. She is wearing "widows weeds". It occurred to me that I didn't know where the word "weeds" came from. It was a tedious search, but I finally found it in www.word-detective com :
"One might assume that "widow's weeds" must be connected in some convoluted fashion to the "ugly plant" sort of weed one finds in one's garden. (Not that you'll find weeds in my garden, of course. Not since I had it paved.) But, to return to the question, one would be wrong. "Weeds" the plants and "weeds" the mournful getup worn by widows in days of yore are two entirely separate words with unrelated origins. The "ugly, worthless plant" kind of "weed" comes from the Old English word "weod," which meant "grass, herb or weed."

"Weeds" meaning "mourning clothes," on the other hand, comes from a very old Germanic root meaning "clothing," and when this "weed" first appeared in English around A.D. 888, it was used in the singular to mean simply "an article of clothing." By about 1297, "weed" or "weeds" meant a style of clothing typical of an occupation or station in life. One might speak of a priest's "weed" or a beggar's "weeds," for instance. The phrase "widow's weeds," denoting the black veils and other accoutrements of deep mourning, first appeared around 1595, and is the only use of "weeds" in this sense still commonly heard in English."

Now that I think of it, I think I have heard "weeds" used jocularly, to describe someone's dress clothes, but can't remember where.

#115493 12/27/03 11:48 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ah, great bit of research, wwh! We should resuscitate this old word for clothing! I wonder whether Ss ever uses the term since it did appear during his lifetime?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith