Next Thread
Print Thread
#1150 04/06/00 10:18 PM
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hallo it’s Michela again from Italy, the one translating the marketing book. First of all, I’d like to thank the people who helped me with the Rodney Dangerfield quotation.
I have other queries:
-what is a ‘thought leader’? I understand what it means literally but nothing else!
-in Italian there is only one word for president and chairman: can anyone explain the difference?
-…”industry best-practices information.” ???????????
- ‘run-rate’ ???????
- addressable: this word is not present in the European English-Italian (and viceversa) dictionaries I have, what does it mean?
- ‘print fulfillment’: no idea of what it is, it should be an additional service companies provide.
- A whole sentence now: “Playgrounds are like the proverbial camels, known in the old joke as ‘horses designed by committee.’ “ I suppose this joke (??) does not exist in Italian…
- Who or what are Kiwinians and Elks?
Thanx a lot

Michela

#1151 04/07/00 09:05 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I think you might be best looking for some kind of dictionary of marketing terms - I would think that such a book exists. Jargon is used so much in marketing and it is very fast moving.

-in Italian there is only one word for president and chairman: can anyone explain the difference?
I think it is just a regional variation. In the UK a company's board would be lead by its chairman. In the USA I think president is used more often (maybe because it has more status, it also has the benefit of not being gender specific). I'm willing to be corrected on this.

-…”industry best-practices information.”
This is just jargon for finding put what is the norm in a given field/what works best.

- addressable
Perhaps it means the kind of leaflet or piece which leaves a space for the address so it can be sent out easily - you will probably have to look at context.

- ‘print fulfillment’
Just jargon for the whole process of producing print (posters, leaflets, direct mail letters) and, more importantly making sure they are distributed (direct mail, leaflet distribution)

- A whole sentence now: “Playgrounds are like the proverbial camels, known in the old joke as ‘horses designed by committee.’
Perhaps because the Italian government (as an example of a committee) rarely lasts long enough to design a camel (joke??). The image is of a committee setting out to design a horse. Because committees are better at incorporating everyone's ideas than cutting out ideas the final product is a camel rather than a horse. You'd have to look at the context to work out why this applies to a playground, perhaps there are lots if separate things to do but it doesn't work together as a whole.

Hope this is useful.

#1152 04/07/00 12:17 PM
old hand
old hand
Just to see if I can complement JMH's response.

'Run-rate' (and I'm presuming the context is not the game of cricket), will probably refer to the rate at which a process runs, or takes place. If printing, for instance, the 'run-rate' may be 20,000 copies per hour.

'Best practice' is, as JMH said, about norms, but implies that there is some way of gathering information on the various 'most efficient' practices of the various organisations in an industry and coming up with a norm for which practice is best in which situation of circumstance.

I could be a great deal more prolix (on camels, horses, committees and playgrounds) but I'll spare you...

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#1153 04/07/00 03:21 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S
A president presides over meetings and decisions of a board (or country); a chairman (chairwoman, chairperson) usually assumes command of a smaller committee. In the case of Chairman Mao, he took full command of the party and thereby the lesser-powered president of the country's governing body.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith