Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#114483 11/05/03 05:15 PM
M
moss Offline OP
OP Offline
M
did you coin it?

Thanks for link, Faldage. I see my coinage is not the first. Alas, fame is fleeting.

#114484 11/05/03 05:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
With only 784 hits, you're in the forefront.

#114485 11/06/03 12:03 PM
M
moss Offline OP
OP Offline
M
With only 784 hits, you're in the forefront.

You wear me out, Faldage. What's that supposed to mean?

Are you implying that I used a coinage at the top of this thread, and then waited for someone to ask me if I coined it 7 pages later so I could take illicit credit for coining it?

If that's what you are implying, Faldage, why not have the courage to come right out and say it?

I have no idea where you found those "784 hits" you mention, but I contributed to exactly one of those hits within seconds after you posted your Google link to "urbanality".

So that puts me at the rear end of those "784" hits, not exactly "in the forefront".

I was going to ignore your snide remark, Faldagger, but I'm an omegatist.

#114486 11/06/03 12:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hey, i thought Faldage was complimenting you!

there are some of us, who are now just 'learning' what pasheema is (not me, but a 'uncool' friend of mine) and there are some (like you and my daughter) who always seem to know what the next trend will be, before the rest of us..

i knit.. early in the spring, i sent my daugther in law a package, and i includes a sampler, and directions for a half dozen 'semi fancy' stitches.. this fall, there are 3(three!) different knitting magazines that are featuring articles on the same subject! articles that no doubt got there start in the spring. -- did i start the 'trend'? hell no.. i just happened to 'have the same thought at the same time' and since three editors all thought it was 'a good idea', (read- something new--even though the stitches are old, they haven't been used/featured in knitted garments for a long while) they all selected to run similar articles..

the three writers, were they in cahoots? not with me, and i doubt with each other. they were all just quick to catch 'what was new' in the air.. as did you!
i don't see this as a race, where coming in a second or two ahead of someone else makes a difference.. but with under 1000 uses, the word is new, and you introduced it here. (and you are one of several people who 'pulled it out of the air' while the rest of us were sleeping!)good for you, and thanks!

#114487 11/06/03 02:45 PM
M
moss Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I don't see this as a race, where coming in a second or two ahead of someone else makes a difference.. but with under 1000 uses, the word is new, and you introduced it here

You are too kind, de Troy.

But I can't take credit for introducing anyone to a new word thinking it was an emerging word.

I am no different than most of the other people who post here. I don't have time to track emerging words.

Google allows us to find emerging words once we know what they are, but as far as I know, it does not alert us to emerging words so that we can claim we have coined them for the first time.

No doubt, that service exists somewhere on the Net, but I am not really into that, personally.

A propos of that, I wonder how many people over the centuries have coined new words thinking their coinage was the first, without ever being disabused of the notion in their lifetime. Google makes it possible to debunk such delusions in seconds.

Actually, I don't think "urbanality" is such a terrific invention. It was just a play on words that seemed to work with the subject of this thread. That's all.

But, thanks for giving me undeserved credit for being in the vanguard of wordsmithing, de Troy. Wish I could lay claim to that.

If there was nothing snide implied in Faldage's remark, then he has my sincere apology.

Faldage created a certain tone when he suggested that I was "rolling stones" when I simply object to having stones rolled over me ... by Faldage or anyone else. In this, I am no different than anyone else, I believe.

Personally, I would hope that we can get beyond that, but someone has to make the first move. Or they can banish me, whatever "works" for them.

#114488 11/06/03 02:49 PM
M
addict
addict
M
omegatist?

#114489 11/06/03 03:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:Faldage created a certain tone when he suggested that I was "rolling stones" when I simply object to having stones rolled over me

yeah, but...
Faldage is the Fool! (i haven't checked his profile of late, but he used to point it out in his profile.)

faldage pokes fun at everyone.. he has a silly looking septer, with bell and ribbons, (and a hidden sharp point!) and if you startle too much when jabbed, its a bit funny. (well funny for the rest of us!) and you're more likely to be jabbed again! --we've all be jabbed.. (and laughed at other too!) but his sharp point is pinprick, not a dagger! and he dance round and makes noise, and entertains us, and yup, every once in a while, the fool plays us. is it personal? yes, it damn well is! it wouldn't be funny to make a play on words about rolling stones with my name... but he has made word plays with all of us.

Faldage is not an authority, or anyone important, he is the Fool. enjoy the show, and enventually you'll even enjoy when you're the co-star in one of his word plays!(pinprick not withstanding!)

#114490 11/06/03 03:11 PM
M
moss Offline OP
OP Offline
M
enventually you'll even enjoy when you're the co-star in one of his word plays!(pinprick not withstanding!

I can enjoy a "pin prick" just as much as anyone else, de Troy. But I do know when I have been slammed, unprovoked, with a blunt instrument.

#114491 11/06/03 03:33 PM
M
moss Offline OP
OP Offline
M
omegatist?

An "omegatist" is a particular strain of egotist. It is someone with a compulsion to have "the last word" in any argument.

It was the subject of a thread a long time ago.

P.S. If I was part of the cast, no doubt I would feel differently about "co-starring" with Faldage.

Not that I wish to be part of the "cast", mind you. It's just that when you are part of the cast, you know who your friends are, and who's running the show.

As AWADtalk is a public forum without membership fees (as far as I know), I don't think anyone, or any "cast", has the right to 'run the show'. That's what this is really all about, de Troy.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith