Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just thought you all might like to hear what my dentist said yesterday about the Cape buffalo.

He said that the Cape buffalo knocks you down and then rolls over you to kill you. He smothers you and flattens you with his exhorbitant weight.

Just thought you might like to know that in case you ever see a Cape buffalo in the wild.

I expect the water buffalo might be gentle compared to the Cape buffalo.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a quite funny evolutionary development! wonder what the first one thought? "oops! how did that happen? sorry. hmmm. wonder if it's edible..."

formerly known as etaoin...
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I wonder how such behaviour is programmed into animals. I have seen on TV nature documentaries lions jumping on back of wildebeest, with one paw catching a leg low down to trip the prey, while other paw turned head to opposite side, so that when the pray animal fell, it would break its neck.
So I was fascinated to have a kitten hiding in low bushes pounce on my shin with same placement of paws, which would have made me fall if I hadn't been so much larger and heavier. Instead the kitten did a somersault.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, wwh! I love your kitten story. And this would be the perfect moment to tell your racoon/dog story, which is about the best home animal story I've heard.

I should pull up some Cape buffalo photographs. Their size is breathtaking. Is breathtaking one word? Anyway, there are many images on Google where you see four or five men sitting in front of a Cape buffalo just so you can see how huge the beasts are. Somehow it makes me feel sympathy for the big buffalos as I see them lying there in the photographs dead.

Would we say that a buffalo is bovine? Or is that strictly limited to cattle? I don't expect we could, but I am curious. Is tsuwm around? Does he ever stop by here in the safari, I wonder?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Would we say that a buffalo is bovine?

Without citing any specific sources, and the whole thang gets a little complicated, the answer seems to be, yes. Bovine refers to your basic farm cow, ranch cow, buffalo, bison, yaks and a few other related beasties.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the Cape buffalo knocks you down and then rolls over you to kill you
Thus the origins of the verbing of buffalo [ouch!]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> Is tsuwm around? Does he ever stop by here in the safari, I wonder?

nope. never.
-ron

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

Well, that clarifies that, ron!

Thanks, Faldo, for the yak.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith