About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#113346 10/14/03 03:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, FF. That's also what I originally thought. But after my first post there was a lot of back-and-forth on where the error lay, if it did indeed exist, which is why I asked you just to make sure I still understood. So you daughter figured this out!? Man, she should be running that school!

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

How many times do we assume something from incomplete or inconsistent input, and end up running off in the wrong direction, wasting time or money, our own or someone else's?

Getting the facts straight in the beginning is the real lesson to be learned from this particular "logic problem".

Back in engineering school, almost every class in the core curriculum began with a review of the basic problem solving method. For some classes, there were 8 steps, for others 5. But they were all variations on a theme. They were all variations of the basic four-step method outlined by the hungarian mathematician George Polya in his book "How to Solve it."
(Details at http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q33D12536)

Step 1. Define the problem.
Step 2. Plan a solution.
Step 3. Carry out the plan.
Step 4. Look back (check the answer).
Summary of method outlined in "How to Solve it," 2nd ed., 1957.

(In statics or dynamics courses, there is, among other things, the additional step of drawing a diagram, for example. But this is just a refinement to step 1, above.)

One of the most common and important reasons for projects to fail is the failure of the engineer to commit to step 1. It's a difficult thing to do when the culture says "get things DONE" to waste time sitting back to reflect on what exactly it is that one has to get done.

Dewey has essentially the same idea with the first "step" being the recognition that a problem exists.
From http://makeashorterlink.com/?V32D25536
"Upon examination, each instance reveals, more or less clearly, five logically distinct steps: (i) a felt difficulty; (ii) its location and definition; (iii) suggestion of possible solution; (iv) development by reasoning of the bearings of the suggestion; (v) further observation and experiment leading to its acceptance or rejection; that is, the conclusion of belief or disbelief."
"How we Think," 1910

Stated so clearly, one can only marvel that so many projects fail in this regard. I think there are several reasons: 1) economically, projects are pushed to show results and 2) psychologically, engineers like to show results.

In any case, all of this is just to reiterate that I agree with your point.

k

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith