About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#112732 11/09/03 12:51 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, Bingley, it's the *electric kettle that's a rarity. Standard kettles are fairly common. *Teapots, about which the song is, although far from common, are not so rare as to be a rarity.

#112733 11/11/03 12:54 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
How odd that I never noticed that. In Canada the electric kettles are at least as common as stovetop. Mine is a cordless that is the base has a cord but you just pick up the top section with the boiled water in it. Everyone is right about few people drinking tea in the states but they have't told you why.
I stopped at a coffee take out and asked for tea.
" You mean hot??" she asked incredulously.
"Yes, and would you please put the teabag in the cup before you add the water?"
"Oh no, we're not allowed to do that. It's illegal."
No wonder they don't drink much tea if it's illegal to make a decent cuppa.

I have decided to form a teadrinkers liberation front. Part of the manifesto is that
1)when someone offers you tea it must have tea in it not just flowers and fruit. (I like herb tisanes but they are NOT tea)
and
2)it will be a capitol offence to, at a buffet, put the hot water for tea in the same urn that had coffee in it yesterday. Bleah!

Don't laugh at me (much) but, do you USns have kettles, normally?

I'm not sure what most people in the US have. Judging by this thread it seems I'm one of the only ones who owns an electric tea kettle. Mine is a lot like this one from Target:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=8-2/qid=1068525795/ref=sr_8_2/602-1410565-0796602?asin=B00005OTY4

I have several tea pots as well to serve in or just to heat water on the stovetop. I've also been known to make tea in the microwave in a pinch. And yes, I drink tea almost everyday. Okay, I'm weird.

Oh, I also own an electric coffee maker, (Mr Coffee, of course), but only use it for company since I don't drink coffee too often anymore.

D
D
Don't laugh at me (much) but, do you USns have kettles, normally?

Mostly what we have is big, gas-guzzling cars and SVUs, which we steer carefully up to the drive-through window at Dunkin Donuts to receive our large, if somewhat ersatz, 'coffee', and go merrily on our mindless way.

Ron.

Ron.
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
[url]www.blackanddeckerappliances.com[/url
Shorter link never works for me so the general location is above. Click Beverege and then click Kettles.
I couldn't manage half as well without my Black and Decker electric kettle! Heats eight cups in 90 seconds and has a features that automatically turns it off instead of letting it boil dry.
As I have grown older I have all my small appliances with the auto-shutoff feature!
I love a cup of hot tea and the boiling water must be poured over the teabag in a cup or leaves in the teapot. If the restaurant says they have to serve a cup of hot water with bag in the saucer, I have been known to ask for an extra, *empty* cup ... HA! ... and solve the problem neatly and to the amazement of the server.
The kettle is also useful for my son to heat water *fast - the boiling water is poured over his surfboard to get rid of old wax - the non-slip stuff applied to the surface.
I have many uses for my kettle.
The B&D kettle has an insulated bottom so no problem there.
The "cordless" type came out years after I bought my kettle. When it had to be replaces in another ten years or so, I will opt for the cordless.
I have an automatic coffee maker, too.
I am a fuss pot about tea so even by-the-cup, the cup has to be warmed by pouring boiling water into it before the tea brewing begins. I have cups with covers to hold the heat and even cup-size cozy - My tea cups are porcelain because I think it tastes better in porcelain than in clay-ceramic mugs.
Microwave tea is anathema to me. Putting a teabag into hot water? Yeck! Water must be poured over the tea, loose or bagged. Harumph!
Nothing beats a cup of hot tea in mid-afternoon - especially on a gray day and most especially in winter.
My mother and I used to have a cup together in the kitchen when I got home from school and before my three brothers trooped in! Happy memories.
All my fellow USns : get a kettle and have a cuppa! You won't be sorry!

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Nothing beats a cup of hot tea in mid-afternoon - especially on a gray day and most especially in winter.
Amen, Sister.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nothing beats a cup of hot tea

Well, I'll take nothing, then.

#112739 11/14/03 12:10 PM
D
addict
OP Offline
addict
D
Earl Grey with the sweet citrus smell of bergamot snaking up in steamy swirls. Ginger nuts and two week old teabread for dunking, cryptic crossword, leather armchair and an enormous duvet. The best bit is when you slurp your first cup so quickly your mouth goes all numb, and the next cup sizzles on the roof of your mouth, kind of spicy from the ginger nuts, and richer and fuller and so much more, tea-ey for sitting just five minutes longer. You don't know what you're missing Faldage.

#112740 11/14/03 01:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wait a minute. Here y'all're saying nothing is better and then you're saying you'd rather have something. I wish y'all'd make up your minds.

#112741 11/14/03 05:09 PM
D
addict
OP Offline
addict
D
he he

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith