Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#112293 09/20/03 04:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
postmodernism has nothing to do with homework . maybe you should do yours

i don't know, but last time i checked, this was a BB for discussing words. Now, if you want to know a defination of Post Modernism, well there are dictionaries.. and we could discuss the roots of the word Modern, and post, and explore the use of these words together.

but if you want to know thought on the idea of post modernism, what does that have to do with words?(ok, to be fair, we discuss lots of things that aren't words here on this BB, but not usually in this section, that is labeled Q & A about WORDS)

It really sound like an college level school assignment, since it seems only art and literture departments in modern universities(including some very good ones, like NY's Columbia) are the only ones who really think (or care) about post modernism, (and many of the answers here mocked the idea)

So if you have checked dictionaries, and Mavaric's posts (most EDU links, i noted)that have discussions about the idea, what more do you want?

why don't you find some art or liturture BB that is interested in post modernism (the idea!- for what ever it is worth) and discuss it there.

you might also share some idea's of your own..maybe you have something to offer.. (besides proding us with questions)

but really you come across like you want us to do research for you, as if you have a school assignment, and can't find anything easily plagerized from the web.

I see you deleted 2 of your critical comments, (but then, you sent me a crital PM.) somehow, i think my comments hit the mark, and made you angry. one line of mine generates 3 negative posts (2 did get deleted-) but they were replaced by a nasty email.--all with the message, i am being hostile!
Way to go dasrex.. (short for dastardly king? or something else?) and by the way, my non de cyber is of troy,, not troy.

i'll admit, my post was a bit pointed, but then, postmodernism is such a dull idea- i guess i sounded sharper than i realized.

#112294 09/21/03 12:29 AM
D
dasrex Offline OP
OP Offline
D
troy at least i had the respect for you to delete them and since you have been here much longer then me i will find another bb to post on

#112295 09/21/03 05:54 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
More dragon than griffon, Helen ...

Anyway, post-modernism is what you get when dadaism becomes gagaism.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A

I never thought of the Velvet Underground as being postmodern before. Their sound was stripped-down in a back-to-basics kind of way, kind of the thinking person's garage band. Their postmodernism escapes me.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Clearly, folks are still composing their answers to my Velvet Underground question. (The first thing you learn is, you've always got to wait.) Anyway, I wonder what is regarded as the first or among the first postmodern works of literature? I have something in mind that has certain postmodern aspects but I doubt it would be called a postmodern work really.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
still composing their answers to my Velvet Underground question

To quote the immortal Goldie Hawn:

"I forgot the question!"

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
> I wonder what is regarded as the first or among the first postmodern works of literature?

I wonder if Mav would like to propose a little known work by Joseph Heller?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You talking about "Something Happened!"?

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Well my implied question was, How is the Velvet Underground postmodern?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
How is the Velvet Underground postmodern?

My answer fwiw, Alex woudl be along these lines: modernist music rejected the forms and melodic structures of historically derived Western music; AW's VU typically blended raucous new soundscapes with almost unbearably sweet and very traditionally melodic songs. It's this 'knowing' kind of incorporation of the traditional pattern of arts over a base material that takes new elements and dissonances entirely for granted that for me characterises quite a lot of music that can be classified post-modern.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith