Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#10960 11/26/00 07:58 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

I was referring to English v's/w's, of course.

I suspected as much, that's why I appended the . I am intrigued by the English pronunciation of "w", as it appears to be unique among the European languages with which I have come in contact. I vonder vhether anybody knows vhere it comes from, or vhy ve say it the vay ve do?
Did your earlier comment mean that English speople speaking Latin pronounce the letter "v" in the same way that they pronounce the letter "w" in English? I have never learned Latin, but the few phrases I have heard with a "v" in them were not pronounced as though they were spelled with an English "w" - "vene, vidi, vici" doesn't come out as "wene, widi, wici". Or do you mean that "v" and "w" have different values in Latin, but are pronounced identically by English speakers of Latin?
I hope that you can bear with me, as this is an interesting subject, even if one that appears to be straining my limited comprehension. Thanks

#10961 11/26/00 08:22 PM
L
L
Yes, I meant 'v' pronounced as 'w' - I have really heard it somewhere. If the 'where' pops up in my head I'll let you know.

And back to your 'w' - we have a letter representing something very similar. It is the letter begining my first name which is really a 'crossed L'. Imagine an L followed by slash (L/) and then move the slash backwards, to meet the bend point in L - you got it! We pronounce L as L, so it really makes a difference. Thus, my name is 'Woo-kush' rather (stress on the first syllable) than 'Loo-'.

Wookush

#10962 11/26/00 09:16 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yes, I meant 'v' pronounced as 'w' - I have really heard it somewhere.

Yrch! In that case, you have my total sympathy - that would be an abomination. The only excuse I could imagine for such execrable pronunciation would be a bizarre lisp. I have honestly never heard any English speaker of Latin pronounce "v" as "w" - it would ruin the sound of my all-time favourite pun - from The First War of Indian Independence - "peccavi."

#10963 11/27/00 07:59 AM
old hand
old hand
Can't resist to add my piece to this imbroglio.
In old Roman inscriptions there is no letter "U", but "V" stands for the U- and V-sounds indiscriminately (there is no "W" either, of course).
And as I learnt it, the English pronounciation of "w", e.g. in well, is sort of a "consonantized u", so this would indicate that Romans also pronounced their "V" in this way in certain positions before vowels.

#10964 11/27/00 01:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
consonantized

Aah! You verbed a novn.

#10965 11/27/00 01:31 PM
old hand
old hand
verbed a novn

And can ve nov talk of vacwm cleaners?

#10966 11/27/00 04:57 PM
B
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
B
Trying to kill several birds with one missive, (so I have an excuse for a miss), Lukas did a good job giving an idea of how you can define sounds without hearing them. In the case of Latin, defining sounds of words is easier due to the fact the Classical Latin was almost perfectly phonetic.
To you and Cap Kiwi, I have to apologize for the fact that I can't cite a book or other work with specifics; it's been nearly 40 years since I graduated from college (where I read stuff in Latin almost daily, not because I was a Classics scholar, but because my field was medieval lit. and history, so of course you always had to go to the original text of works which were very often in Latin.
And yes, there are regional variations on Late Latin pronunciation and no doubt always have been, which I'm sure accounts for the fact that Latin morphed into a number of distinct Romance languages instead of into only one. I first became aware of the fact that not all Latin pronuncations are equal when I listened to a recording of the Bach B-min. Mass sung (in Latin, of course) by a choral group from an eastern European country (I forget which, after all these years) who pronounced soft C like TS, which is how C (with no diacritical mark) is pronounced in Serbo-Croat.

#10967 11/27/00 05:02 PM
B
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
B
The W sound for Latin V was the classical pronunciation, and so Veni Vidi Vici was pronounced waynie, weedy, weaky. Hard to imagine Caesar talking like Elmer Fudd.

#10968 11/27/00 06:38 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

the English pronounciation of "w", e.g. in well, is sort of a "consonantized u", so this would indicate that Romans also pronounced their "V" in this way in certain positions before vowels.

Ta muchly, wsieber, it's nice to finally find that out. I suspect that there would not be much call for shanks' vacwm cleaners outside Wales.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Reminds me of a game Johnny Carson used to play, one in which he gave the answer and the players were supposed to come up with a question (a little bit like Jeopardy, I guess.)

It was called Nine-W. To which the question was, "Do you spell your name with a V, Herr Wagner?"

Another one was Holdup. The answer: How does one get very fast service in a bank?

TEd
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 806 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith