Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#10654 11/17/00 09:48 AM
shanks Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I attribute this problem partly to my Indian background - where irregular and infrequent words, when used, were usually pronounced the 'Indian' way, but the fact is that I often have problems with stresses - the ways in which words need to be accented when pronounced.

For instance, if I am asked to pronounce economy, economics, economist and economical in quick succession, it rapidly turns into a litany of reflected-sounds-of-underground-spirits.

My most embarrassing moment was when I turned epiphany into "eppy-fanny" (it included a genuine slip of the tongue) and you can imagine the ribald risibility it evoked in my colleagues (who spend most of their time, you may be pleased to know, Jackie, in the gutter).

I also read somewhere, that whilst RP (the accent I affect) is often seen as authoritative in most matters of pronunciation (socially speaking, since we don't really support the prescriptivist agenda), it has strange lacunæ in its abilities. For instance veterinary is almost impossible to pronounce in RP. (I know, I've tried.) Most RP speakers, I suspect, either plump for vet or veterinarian (which has its own awful complications).

Does others have a similar problem - that of their accent making it difficult for them to pronounce certain words, particularly with regard to getting the stresses 'right'?

And how do you pronounce 'veterinary' anyway?

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#10655 11/17/00 10:41 AM
P
addict
addict
P
In my training days, I used to show one of the John Cleese management films "Decisions, decisions" which, in one scene, has Nigel Hawthorne (I think) saying the word 'arbitrarily' (with the accent on the first syllable). It took me a few viewings, initially, to work out what the word actually was -- and, even now, I don't think it's a word that I would attempt to say in public.

#10656 11/17/00 10:52 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>And how do you pronounce 'veterinary' anyway?

It's like my problem with colliery.

I pronounce it vet-inary in a light gabble, so no-one notices if I'm wrong! The usual UK cop out is to call them a vet, rather than veterinary sugeon (never veterinarian). I can see why!

#10657 11/17/00 11:32 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
I'm probably guilty of non-RP pronunciation here (references please, people! I know this has been well covered before.) but my pronunciations would be as follows:

veterinary: vet-RIN-ur-ee
colliery: COL-yur-ee
arbitrarily: ar-bih-TREHR-ih-lee
(but arbitrary: AR-bih-tree)

No doubt a spotless example of the Queen's English.

#10658 11/17/00 12:42 PM
shanks Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Shona!

Here's your selection with my (admittedly without any authority) comments:

veterinary: vet-RIN-ur-ee - I'd find it well-nigh impossible to slur/elide the second 'e', and therefore I arrive at (bold marking the stronger of the accented syllables) VET-uh-RIN-uh-ree (the 'uh' standing for the schwa - bother; where's that inverted e when you want it?) Awkward as heck, innit?

colliery: COL-yur-ee Again, it wouldn't be a straightforward 'y' at the start of the second syllable, but a diphthongal one with a hint of 'i' (or short 'ee' if you prefer) at the start.

arbitrarily: ar-bih-TREHR-ih-lee I think I'm pretty close to this one. When doing the 'posh', however, I might move the stressed syllable to more of a TRAHR than TREHR... ulp.

(but arbitrary: AR-bih-tree) Would never slur the third syllable if I can help it. (Get me drinking, however, and it's a differench shtory...hic.)

And no, I would never attempt to pronounce arbitrarily with an initial syllable stress... Ye gods and little fishesonbikes! Tell Nigel to go away and leave me at least partly content with me unacknowledge lapsi linguae (pig Latin for those who don't know that four legs is good, two legs bad!!)

#10659 11/17/00 12:51 PM
shanks Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Jo

Why 'never veterinarian'?

I find that word easier than veterinary. Or is there some social stigma attached to it?

Seeking sonic solace in London...

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I have always been encouraged to pronounce the word, "vetin'ry" - with the "i" almost as a schwa.

"Coll-yi-ree" is pronounced "Dahn t'mine" round here! (or was until Maggie closed them all!)

I would favour " ar-bih-TREHR-ih-lee " as the real RP - "trahr" sounds a bit phony.

#10661 11/17/00 04:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My dear, sweet shanks--

As I said, I adore the way I've heard people from India speak English! Oh, the lilting-ness!! [if there were an icon for 'deep pleasure', I'd put it here!] But I understand, your concern is not to be embarrassed.

I have no problem pronouncing any of the words you mention--but keep in mind, how I say them may not be how other
Americans say them. (And, do I care? Not at the moment!)

Veterinary: just how it looks--VEH-ter-ih-nary.
Colliery: CALL-yer-ee
Arbitrarily: ar-bih-TRAR-ih-lee. Oh, and
Veterinarian: also just how it looks: veh-ter-ih-NAR-ee-un.

Perhaps I'm rather insistent on saying all the syllables due to a leftover from my childhood: my mother often said,
"straw-breeze" for strawberries, and my stubbornness kicked in an instant rejection of shortenings of that type.
That just kicked in another childhood memory: in season, a street vendor used to wheel his cart around the neighborhood, and I'd hear his deep voice bellowing:
"Stee-RAW-berries, strawberries".

#10662 11/17/00 06:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm pretty much in agreement with your pronunciations, Jackie, but of course it ain't RP! you know, I just now realized that although the Brits are enamoured of all these aextra letters, when it comes to saying them it's "whoa nelly!"

#10663 11/17/00 06:26 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
that although the Brits are enamoured of all these aextra letters, when it comes to saying them it's "whoa nelly!"

You mention this to a lady from Loo-uh-vulle?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith