Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#105814 06/16/03 12:42 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hogwash – Frist

A. Delay or respite, a certain amount of time, as for debt repayment. correct answer [also submitted by wsieber] chosen by: Tross, Faldage, tsuwm, Alex, Squid, wsieber

B. A quick and lively Hungarian dance. [submitted by coffeebean]

C. A small rodent native to the highlands of Scotland. [submitted by Faldage]

D. To put off until tomorrow, procrastinate. (A scandinavian version of "mañana") [submitted by Rhubarb Commando]

E. "A joint or limb; a part formed by growth, and articulated to, or symmetrical with, other parts. From Dutch vuist" [submitted by Wordwind] chosen by: Zed

F. Rubbing the hands together [submitted by consuelo]chosen by: Vanguard, Bonzaialsatian

G. typically seen in liquor decanters or chemical reagent storage containers, "frist" describes the ground-glass surface where the stopper is in contact with the neck of a glass jar, enabling it to seat snugly. [submitted by wofa] chosen by: Wordwind, sjm, dxb

H. Term used in a gambling card game of German origin. Calling ‘frist’ during another player’s turn means that you will buy the next card to turn up and pay double for it when your turn comes. In this way you have the advantage of improving your hand ahead of time. [submitted by dxb]

I. Type of rock associated with fossils of first flowering plants. (After Frist, Shetland, where first found) [submitted by Bingley]

J. The sand to gravel sized bits of colored glass which are used to color or decorate glass before it is blown. This is done by gathering a blob of molten glass on the end of the blowpipe and then rolling it in the frist. The whole is then reheated to melt it together. [submitted by Zed] chosen by: etaoin, consuelo, W’ON, Bingley, wofa, anchita, Rhubarb Commando

K. To try to block or stall a bill from being passed. "The senator is using a filibuster to frist this issue." Named for Senator Bill Frist. [submitted by Tross] chosen by: AnnaStrophic

The winner is wsieber with 9 points;
Runner-Up is Zed with 8 points.

Tross and wofa = 4 points each
Faldage = 3
WW and consuelo = 2 each

Everyone else = well, you can figger out that it weren't much. Thank you to all players.

#105815 06/16/03 01:23 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I totally do not understand the point behind H. That is, I fail to see how it could give you any advantage. ~ Faldage

At last I can answer Faldage’s comment.

You need to be familiar with the game to understand the play, and the definition could not include the full rules of the game.

The aim is to achieve an exact target score through purchasing and selling a combination of plain and court cards from the Bank or between players. As in Bridge, by following play you can form a good idea of how peoples’ hands are developing. The winner of a round is the player who first achieves the target and declares it, the other players score according to how close they are to the target, but if they overshoot then they pay out. If a player judges that an opponent is close to declaring then by calling ‘Frist’ and buying the next card from the Bank between plays he can improve his score, or even reach a winning position, but at risk of overshooting, and he will have to settle his debt at the close of play or at his next turn whichever is sooner.

The ‘Frist’ is a form of hire purchase of the card which is held for a period before payment is due and presumably this is how the term originated. I feel at least one or two Hogwash points are due for this approximation to the true meaning.

And if you believe that….

#105816 06/16/03 01:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
9 points?? is there a dilatory bonus now?

you must be awarding points collected by the correct def'n.

4. Three points are awarded to any player who submits a definition which is similar or very close to the correct meaning.

that's it. wsieber scores three (3) points (he could have helped someone else's def'n by voting for that and still gotten his three points via his submission; or he could have submitted another definition and voted for the correct one and possibly collected more points that way--that's the trade-off you must make when you know the word. he can't score more points by also voting for it, or from others who voted for it. I hope this makes sense..)

here's the way I'd score it (fwiw):

Zed, 7 votes
Tross, 2 + 1 vote = 3
Faldage, 2
tsuwm, 1 (no submission)
Alex, 1 (ditto)
Squid, 1 (ditto)
wsieber, 3 (submitted true def'n)
wofa, 3 votes
consuelo, 2 votes
Wordwind, 1 vote

-joe (hogmaster in sheep's clothing) hoggerel

#105817 06/16/03 01:40 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Good,now I tell somebody who commented on my definition that I was told in no uncertain terms by someone who came from there that The Shetlands is a horrible solecism, and that group of islands should always just be called Shetland.

Bingley

Bingley
#105818 06/16/03 01:51 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Okay.....guess I got it wrong. Thanks for the correction.

So.....congratulations are in order for Zed instead.

#105819 06/16/03 11:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You and your rodents, Faldo. [rolleyes e]

#105820 06/16/03 11:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While I was aware the Surgeon Republican arrived on the scene way too late to make it into any lexicon, I voted for K just because I liked it. And I like it even more now knowing it was submitted by a fellow Atlantan.

#105821 06/17/03 09:42 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
rodents

My offerings are always the best but nobody ever guesses them.

Certainly better than your burned down barn door one, Juan.

#105822 06/17/03 11:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Those fleas, again, Faldo? You really oughtta keep some distance from those rodents. Or get some Advantage.

#105823 06/24/03 09:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I thought it was very nice to have been awarded an extra point for having earned one. A baker's singleton.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith