Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Watching con trails criss-cross the westering sun tonight has reminded me that quite a few of you guys will be bound for Ireland's shores in the next few days. Already a year has sped by from WaPaOne, and indeed Michigan seems like a dream ~ so it seemed like a good excuse to stick a rare toe back in the water and wish all y’-all kind wishes and felicitations. My times have been hectic recently, with buying another little house in Bristol taking recent priority – but I did find a couple of days to go up to the Hay Literature Festival with the family (under canvas for the first time since the age of ten!): we had a great time including such diverse highlights as David Crystal’s brilliant lecture about language development up to one year old, and on another level dancing 'til fit to drop to Alabama 3. I am happy to report David is even wittier and more amusing in person than off the page, and his son is charming too – I am sure Jackie can hardly wait to read my copy of their suitably autographed Shakespearean tome …

For anyone from furrin parts who may not have heard of Hay, it’s a sweet nowhere country town of only about 1,500 souls but something like 37 second-hand bookshops: pig-heaven for a maverick! In the main premises of the guy who made this all happen I happily spent a number of hours browsing, constantly bemused by the sheer range of materials that get published – it’s the kind of book warehouse that has shelves of topics you didn’t even know existed, let alone know the authors! It seemed appropriate to come across a poem by Sean O’Brien that I would like to dedicate to all in pursuit of the noble cause of shared language and friendship in Ireland. I know that if the wells of language studies ever run dry, Ireland’s bounty will whet your interest soon enough…

from Notes on the Use of the Library
(Basement Annexe)

The Principal’s other edition of Q,
Scott by the truckload, and Fredegond Shove,
Manuals instructing the dead how to do
What they no longer can with the Torments of Love,
Mistaken Assumptions concerning The Race,
Twelve volume memoirs of footling campaigns,
Discredited physics, the Criminal Face,
Confessions of clerics who blew out their brains,
Laws and Geographies (utterly changed),
Travellers’ journals that led up the creek,
The verbose, the inept and the clearly deranged,
The languages no one has bothered to speak,
And journals of subjects that do not exist:
What better excuse to go out and get pissed?

… and I still owe you that beer, John!

Love to all the gang, old and new, bound for Ireland or detained elsewhere. May you find yourself eventually home with your love increased and your luggage intact!

http://www.hay-on-wye.co.uk/

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what a joyous day.. to open a thread and see your name, Mav, stay. i have missed you..

i'll read you post-- but before that, i need to say how happy i am to see you back.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mav!...when I saw your name I had to look three times and double-check the date and pinch myself! Great to see you! Really miss ya. Please make your drop-ins a habit again!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And the lovely AnnaS, upon hearing my cry of joy, had the nerve to say, "Oh, I forgot to tell you!"

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Maverick! You must make just a little post now and then when life's business intrudes and keeps you away from us. Otherwise we worry.
So good to see you back.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Good to see you hear Mr Maverick. I'm a bit of a stranger me own self. I'll join you in sending all good wishes to those across the sea. I hope that WAPA II is even half as good as WAPA I - many thanks to all that have made both events possible and best wishes to all those, who, like me, won't be there this time.

May the Guinness (and the words) flow!

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Thanks for your kind words of greeting, my olds :)

Don't know what life holds in store at the moment - changes at work mean I might have even less time when I might pop in here, or alternatively a lot of time (and correspondingly less income!) Oh, well - I figure I still have time for a couple more complete changes of career in me yet: turn that ol' wheel agin...

and hey, Jo, you're no stranger than most folks here (witch isnae sayin much, I ken!)

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>Thanks for your kind words of greeting, my olds :)

I am now satisfied that, despite any personal experience suggesting otherwise you do still have the ability to respond to written communications, and that is therefore now worth my while to join in the chorus of welcome. It really is very good to hear from you again, mav.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
He had no choice but to come back... *we recently revisited a picture of his head attached to a sheep's body (inside (now outside) joke, ya'll).

Good to hear from you again, Mav.

N
addict
addict
N
Adding my welcome back to those above, Maverick! I, too, double checked the date when I saw your name, and I hope you can pop back in a bit more frequently than of late. We do miss you!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mav, I miss you so much I can't put it into words (believe it or not! ). So I'll address your post: how exciting to hear David Crystal live and in person. But do tell, what does "under canvas" mean? Is it anything like Under Milkwood? Or was it merely raining? Someday I will visit Hay.

PS loved your Simon & Garfunkel reference.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
what does "under canvas" mean?
Tents, I think - guess - presume ???

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes indeed, Sweet Maverick, it is VERY good to see you again.

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
David Crystal live and in person

Thang you kindly, mam! Yes, Crystal is indeed a multi-faceted and brilliant live showman. If you follow the link from the first one offered above, to go to the Hay festival site, you can actually play his talk (and quite a few of the others too) tho' it lacks the sparkling and comic presentation of his full schtick. And yes, tho' Hay in many years might well be like a cross between Milkwood and Underwater, this year it was glorious sunshine - ask Jackie how much rain she's seen on her travels :)

Which reminds me J, what (apart from no mushrooms!) do you want for breakfast? hehhehheh

My maximal apologies are extended to those I was forced to rapidly curtail communications with around a year ago - fwiw it has cost me more than you can know, but had to be done at the time. Please forgive my rudeness.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lovely Mav, you can cook mushrooms for me any time! I don't mind what I have for breakfast, as long as I get to enjoy the view! Come to think of it, though, reckon I'd better have something stimulating...

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
> David Crystal live and in person

Thnaks Mav, I very much enjoyed the talk. It's probably one of the things that I most like about the internet now, re-playing all the radio programmes that I have missed. It's good to add literary festivals onto the list.

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
You're welcome ~ yes, it's a truly great resource of our age. btw, did you download it or play it from the site? (I ended up doing the latter, having not frigerr'd® out the former as I wanted to!)

frigerr: v.t., to mess around in a solitary and unsatisfying manner under the erroneous assumption that you can succeed in a given task without reading the manual :)

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Well, well! I am just on the recovery list from WaP II, so decided to drop in briefly on AWAD - and what do I find? A prodigal son, no less! This has cheered me up no end, mav me ole ovinophile. Complete recovery is on the way!!

Your departure was a cause of great regret, although I understood that it was for good reason. Please don't go away again.

Welcome back, a thousand times - how do you like your fatted calf cooked?

#105698 06/24/03 08:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And what's the sheep? Chopped liver?

#105699 06/24/03 09:05 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Nope, pate de fois gras. Yo, Maverick. How they hangin', dude?

G
stranger
stranger
G
Watching con trails criss-cross the westering sun

I'm a bit of a stranger me own self

double checked the date when I saw your name

what a joyous day.. to open a thread and see your name, Mav, stay. i have missed you

wot they said.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"...Mav, stay. i have missed you"

And we you.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You miss Helen, musick? She's around

Now I for one would like to see more of guest.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...would like to see more of guest.

That's what I *said.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, it isn't.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, it isn't

You're both right. Or either wrong, one. musick quoted guest's quote of helen. Take it as you like. guest *was echoing the sentiment.

#105706 06/25/03 06:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You're both right. Or either wrong, one.

I wanna be both!

#105707 06/25/03 07:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wanna be both!

Me too!

#105708 06/25/03 07:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
both

Andor

#105709 06/25/03 09:54 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
andor bothor neithor whatevaah :)

Thanks for the kind thoughts all y'all, even from a guest whose name I just didn't. Like really. Toadally. I must be tired. :)

Still don't have any settled plans concerning this place, but am just enjoying the flow for the mo.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: we misll you.. et al

Gee Musick, i am surprised... well anytime you want to talk, i am here..

must be heat stoke or some other seasonal malady.. maybe Musick is chicago's first victim of West Nile virus.. you know it can cause an altered mental state

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Me thinks Helen has become a *snake charmer...

--------

My *sense of humor is an "altered mental state", what's yer point?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mav, you half-a-shit, I've missed you terribly and to think I was not so far away (relatively speaking) just last week! *sob*

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith