Print Thread
#105431 06/12/03 03:32 AM
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
I came across this use of the word instant in the Dryden translation of Plutarch's life of Timoleon (who I must admit I'd never heard of before):

But through the care and diligence of his friends, who were very instant with him, and added force to their entreaties, he came to resolve and promise at last, that he would endure living, provided it might be in solitude, and remote from company; so that, quitting all civil transactions and commerce with the world, for a long while after his first retirement he never came into Corinth, but wandered up and down the fields, full of anxious and tormenting thoughts, and spent his time in desert places, at the farthest distance from society and human intercourse.

My dictionary does give "urgent, pressing" as one meaning of instant, but it's not a meaning I am familiar with.

Bingley

Bingley
#105432 06/12/03 08:05 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I have come across it occasionally, always used in that kind of situation (that is, '..his friends were very instant with him..'), and assumed, without checking up, that it had lost its battle with 'insistent'. I feel, though, that 'instant' implied an urgent insistence, usually pressing for some action before it's too late. A professional advisor may be insistent, but perhaps only a friend could get away with being 'instant'. So I think the usage had a value and rather regret its passing.

#105433 06/12/03 12:50 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My dictionary gives "5 Archaic - presnt, current"
I have seen it used with dates given spelled out, e.g.
Friday instant meaning "this Friday".
I think the usage you quote would mean his friends were constantly with him.

#105434 06/12/03 12:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wondered about this: (so I looked it up! )

Main Entry: stance
Pronunciation: 'stan(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French estance position, posture, stay, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin stantia, from Latin stant-, stans, present participle of stare to stand
Date: 14th century
1 chiefly Scottish a : STATION b : SITE
2 a : a way of standing or being placed : POSTURE b : intellectual or emotional attitude <took an antiwar stance>
3 a : the position of the feet of a golfer or batter preparatory to making a swing b : the position of both body and feet from which an athlete starts or operates

so, perhaps his friends stand with him.

formerly known as etaoin...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith