W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
>mill 2 8
n.
5for L millesimus, thousandth < mille, thousand: cf. CENT6 one tenth of a cent: $.001: a monetary unit used in calculating but not as a coin
Considering the current inflation, who in hell now bothers with mills? I think there used to be some
taxes that were based on them.

permillage - not in my dictionary. Probably a tax accountant’s term.

It turns out that there is another us for permillage - the concentration of alcohol in the blood.
“Record drinker with 8.1 permillage

This is a real case for the Guinness-book of Records. A 30-year old Polish man was recently taken to hospital in the Urban-Krankenhaus in Berlin with an alcohol intoxication of no less than 8.1 permillage.

The man had gone into a coma after drinking a bottle of vodka and he had been taken to hospital in an ambulance. There he was admitted in the intensive care unit and underwent a dialysis. The next morning the alcohol concentration in his blood was still three permillage. I think we can speak of a miracle that this man has lived to talk about these high alcohol concentrations.

perpend 1
n.
5ME perpoynt < MFr parpain < VL *perpannium6 a large stone extending through a wall from one side to the other, used as a binder Also per4pent 73p!nt8

perpend 2
vt., vi.
5L perpendere: see fol.6 [Archaic] to ponder or consider

perspicuous
adj.
5ME, transparent < L perspicuus < perspicere, to see through: see PERSPECTIVE6 clear in statement or expression; easily understood; lucid
per[spi[cu[i[ty 7p%r#spi ky14! tc8 or per[spic$u[ous[ness
n.
per[spic$u[ous[ly
adv.

petechia !8
n.,
pl. 3chi[ae 73c#8 5ModL < It petecchia < L pittacium, label, plaster, patch < Gr pittakion, a writing tablet, slip, letter6 a small hemorrhagic spot in the skin, mucous membrane, etc.
pe[te$chi[al
adj.

petiole
n.
5ModL petiolus < L, little foot, little leg, stalk, dim. < pes, FOOT6
1 Bot. LEAFSTALK
2 Zool. PEDUNCLE (sense 4)

Petigrain
Product Description:
PETIGRAIN Citrus aurantium amara steam distil. leaves of the orange tree, Paraguay. Stimulating to mind and memory, relaxing, balancing, calming, fortifying, helpful in anxiety & tension. Positive effect when people feel sad or disappointed. Slows body & breathing, relaxes muscle spasms. Similarities to Neroli, but less sedative.
ORANGE LEAF: Usually called Petigrain. Leaves, small twigs, and unripe fruit buds distilled together.

petroglyph
n.
5Fr p=troglyphe < Gr petra, rock + glyphc, carving: see GLYPH6 a rock carving, esp. a prehistoric one
pet#ro[glyph$ic
adj.

phaeochrous - Spelling bee gives just word “dusky” as definition. I couldn’t find a more detailed definition.

phenakistoscope - I could not find a definition, but here is a site describing how kids
can make one . Only clue, something about a “Winker”.
http://ds.org/zoom/sci/phenakistascope.txt.html

#105090 06/09/03 04:23 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I couldn't get your link to work Dr. Bill, but I found this site:

http://courses.ncssm.edu/gallery/collections/toys/html/exhibit07.htm

The introductory text is intriguing:

In 1832, Belgian physicist Joseph Plateau and his sons introduced the phenakistoscope ("spindle viewer"). It was also invented independently in the same year by Simon von Stampfer of Vienna, Austria, who called his invention a stroboscope. Plateau's inspiration had come primarily from the work of Michael Faraday and Peter Mark Roget (the compiler of Roget's Thesaurus). Faraday had invented a device he called "Michael Faraday's Wheel," that consisted of two discs that spun in opposite directions from each other. From this, Plateau took another step, adapting Faraday's wheel into a toy he later named the phenakistoscope.

It does not, alas, explain the Roget connection.

Bingley

Bingley
#105091 06/09/03 04:25 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I see this quite often at work, where contracts might have a penalty of so much per mil per day's late delivery.

Bingley

Bingley

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 749 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith