#103368 05/15/03 01:39 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
cambric tea. sweet tea for children
I remember reading Beatrix Potter's "Tale of Peter Rabbit" to my girls. Remember, because of his tummy ache
from eating too much in Mr. McGregor's garden, his mother
gave him cambric tea.
Camelopardalis. Constellation near the Big Dipper
cameral. Judge’s chamber/council
camerlingo. The cardinal who manages the Pope’s affairs
camion. Low sturdy wagon, truck
camisa. Shirt or chemise
camisado. Night attack (wore camisas)
camise. House shirt or tunic
camlet. Rich cloth of camel’s hair and silk
Camlan. Legendary battlefield where King Arthur was mortally wounded.
Camorra. Neopolitan secret society.
campanile. Bell tower
campanula. Bellflowers
campanulate. Bell-shaped
campestral. Pertaining to growing in open fields
campestrian. Great Northern plains
campion. Red, pink, or white flowers
campylotropous. Ovule partly inverted and curved
canaliculus. A small bodily channel, like a tear duct.
cancellous. (To make a lattice) Netlike structure (bone)
cancroid. Like a cancer or crab.
candent. White-hot
candleberry. Wax myrtle
candlepin. Slender bowling pin.
canescent. Turning white or grayish
canicular. Pertaining to Dog Star
canna. Tropical plant, showy red or yellow flowers.
cannula. Tubular bodily-fluid drain
canopic. Egyptian
canorous. Melodious
cant. Argot; also, whining, affected or sententious speech; tilted
Cantabrigian. Cambridge
cantabile. Smooth flowing style
cantillate

#103369 05/15/03 03:28 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I'm disappointed that nobody corrected me about the tea
his mother gave Peter Rabgit. It was chamomile.
chamomile
n.
5ME camomille < OFr camemile < L chamomilla < Gr chamaimclon, earth apple < chamai, on the ground (see CHAMELEON) + mclon, apple (see MELON)6 any plant of two genera (Anthemis and Matricaria) of the composite family, with strong-smelling foliage; esp., a plant (A. nobilis) whose dried, daisylike flower heads are used as a medicine and in making tea

#103370 05/15/03 03:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sorry Dr bill, there is a whole world of childrens literture i don't know.. neither of my parents ever read to me, (or my siblings, i wasn't singled out) and by the time i had the reading skills for books like Betrice Potter's, i was too old to enjoy them, same too for winnie the pooh.

My husband read to our kids, (he had 'bedtime' as his quality time with the kids) so i never read these books to my kids..

one of my favorite childhood books was an illustrated (with 16 color plates!) huge book of Grimm's fairytales. the first one i remember reading (chosen strictly by its length!) was 'The Swine Herders Daughter',(complete on one page) and the last, was 'the Snow Queen'(the longest!)
i could read a bit by the time i started school.. words, not sentences.. and as my word vocabulary grew, i read more and more.. (i remember being bored with See Dick, see Jane.- they were too easy for me at that age.-- but i don't realy remember when i learned to read..

#103371 05/15/03 04:09 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
As I glanced over your list again I thought of Simon & Garfunkel, Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme: "Tell her to make me a cambric shirt".

I had a record of someone reading The Tales of Peter Rabbit. I don't have it any more, so I couldn't easily check on your tea reference!

#103372 05/15/03 06:03 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy, and Bean: my feigned petualance was a ploy to provoke replies. I'm just remembering how sad I was that my oldest girl and her husband went to Canada because they could not afford farm land in US. So I never got to read the Beatrix Potter stories to my first grandchild.

#103373 05/15/03 06:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
cambric is an even woven cloth, that has weft thread dyed (usually indigo, but any color will do) and warp threads of white.
It is still commonly used for men's shirts. the crossed colored and white fabrics create a pastel, like shade. since the thread are 'dyed in the wool' they are color is stronger, and less likely to fade..

cambric tea is sweet( and that is a characteristic,) but it is also tea that is half (or more) milk.. i don't know if the cloth takes the name from the tea, or tea from the cloth(half white milk, half dark tea.?)

#103374 05/15/03 07:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
AHD seems to think the tea name is from the fabric. They derive the fabric name from a Flemish version of the name of a town in northern France and the tea name because it is "thin and white" like the cloth.

#103375 05/16/03 12:33 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Canopic jars are the jars used for storing mummies' innards. Presumably named after Canopus the place, but why I don't know. Produced there? First archaeological discovery?

Bingley

Bingley
#103376 05/16/03 02:15 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
From http://isis_athena1690.tripod.com/C.html

"The name 'Canopic' comes from Greek Mythology. Canopus (Kanopus) was a steersman of the King Menelaus (Helen of Troy’s husband). They briefly stopped in Egypt on their way home from Troy. While there, Canopus insulted Theonoe, the daughter of Pharaoh Proteus. In retribution, he was bitten by a snake and died. He was buried at a city in the Nile Delta called Canopus (by the Greeks); modern day Abukir. It appears that there a cult of him grew up in the Greco-Roman period, where he was depicted as a jar with a human head. Because the statues of him were jar shaped, the early archaeologists confused the statues with the modernly known and completely unrelated 'Canopic Jars,' which contained the human viscera."

#103377 05/16/03 09:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
he was depicted as a jar with a human head.

uh, why?

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith