Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Hmmmm.......last Hogwash game I voted for a scientific answer -- this time I'll go with religion. C and D both look good.....I'll pick C.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
Just to make sure I don't hold the game up, F

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I've got my eye on "i"--even though the western England part doesn't make sense. Why not eastern, too? What's so different about the two coasts?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[quietly awaiting the deluge to unleash upon WW]

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, let it unleash. I've never been to England. It's an island a bit larger than, what, Virginia, right? And it's got the ocean on one side and a sea on the other. It couldn't be more than two hundred miles across, right? So how would the vegetation be that different on one coast from the other? It's not like you're moving from NY to California or anything. Does having the ocean on one side and the sea on the other make that much difference?

Come on. Make my day. Deluge me.

#102616 05/08/03 03:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I believe it has more to do with the language than with the res ipsa, pardon my declension. <eg>

#102617 05/08/03 04:09 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Now, you’re just jerking our chain, I’m sure, but that’s cool. Britain is a small place, you wouldn’t expect much variation, but local factors bring it about. I’m not very knowledgeable on physical geography, but here’s how I think it is. Deluge is probably a nice segue into it actually.

- The prevailing wind across the British Isles is southwesterly; it picks up loads of water from the wide Atlantic and dumps it on us. Consequently Ireland and the western side of Britain, which happens also to be the side with the hilliest terrain, are much wetter than the eastern side.

- The North Sea is very narrow, not allowing much water to be taken up, so when we do get east winds they are dry. Europe is very flat to the east of the British Isles and easterlies come unimpeded all the way from the Urals so they are also cold except in summer.

- Then there's the Gulf Stream, that keeps the west coast a bit warmer, and without which we would all be frantic to move somewhere much further south; the latitude of London is about that of northern Newfoundland.

- Much of the flat eastern side of the country is very fertile, whereas the western side is more rocky with thinner topsoil.

- So the difference in rainfall, the damp south westerly winds on the west side, the dryer, colder easterly winds on the east side, and the difference in geology and top-soils between the two coasts allows for marked variation in flora and fauna, not to say traditional lifestyles.

To be honest, I am often amazed at the contrast in the countryside, the crops, the animals, even the building materials, that can be seen in just a few miles – when travelling between London and the south coast for example.

Anyway, there is a lot of variety – its probably the best thing about the place, or has led to the best things.

M
addict
addict
M
After considerable dithering, I cast my lot with, J.
Great definitions, all! I loved every single one(special mention: d, f, and i).
Thanks, Bingley!

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Well, I guess I like the idea of the sain line, so I'll pick 'F' for flotsam.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith