Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#101727 04/26/03 04:22 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
at this juncture it should come as no surprise that to lant means to mingle ale with stale urine to make it (the ale, wofa, the ale) strong. I can't link to OED for you, so here's the next best thing:
http://members.aol.com/SMKRANZ/newsletters/march99/page4.html

by dint of a tie-break (three out of four votes were from players), Wordwind wins yet another round with her 'sluicegate' def'n. juan also collected four votes (two were from lurkers) for his somewhat related 'adding a pinch'. HM to consuelo for 'walking bent' , RC for 'dancing and frolicking' and ron o. for 'nitpicking' (two votes each).

the results were bunched up enough so I should be able to use all of the above as alternate answers for an appearance of the wwftd quiz, which I'll probably run next week. thanks to all.
-joe (hogmasterŪ) friday

#101728 04/26/03 06:40 AM
R
rav Offline
R
.. and that is why i don't gamble in any way - i am always wrong while guessing ;P

#101729 04/26/03 03:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Uh, Tsuwm, Hogmaster, sir...since I (unbelievably to me) also selected the correct definition as a player (the urine thing...really?...I just picked it because I had to give a point to whoever came up with it), doesn't that extra pointage put me over the top for the win? Just asking...

And thanks to all you chemistry buffs out there...especially Jackie!

R
stranger
stranger
R
Hadn't the hogmasterŪ proposed to run this round as a competition to glean definitions for a WWFTD quiz, which would seem to render other factors somewhat beside the point? Just sayin'....

ron obvious
M
addict
addict
M
It IS a surprise, tsuwm! My interest is certainly piqued! Went back and re-read the thread on definitions, and it strikes me in hindsight that many knew! Faldage talked about tasting A, WO'N about cellars and WW about lanter lauders...(aside)who is a lauder? A guzzler?

And WO'N, you have actually SEEN urine cellars! Now, here's a noisome experience, for sure!
How do they collect it, how do they store, who donates, are the donors paid, is there a screening system for the donors!!??? Forgive my barrage of questions but I am so completely tickled by this bit of news.

And is 'lant' both a noun and a verb?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
maahey, I had no clue...I was just so amused with that definition I figured whoever wrote it deserved a vote for effort...really. I was just jokin' about the cellars an' all.

And, from tsuwm's link:

Urine "a barber's hair wash?" (lotium) Back in the days when nobody bathed? wunnerful...'cause musk, it ain't

And, okay, tsuwm...I'll take a win by proxy, then. Can't let my good friend Dub-Dub get away with a cheap victory there, can we?

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>'lant' both a noun and a verb?

yes, lant is an old Saxon noun (ca. 1000) which got verbed around 1630. and my experience of ales makes this whole thing suspicions confirmed. in fact, some of the ones I've tasted must have been *double-lanted*. <g>

check out this 1630 citation:
1630 Tinker of Turvey Ded. Ep. 5, I have drunke double~lanted Ale, and single-lanted, but never gulped downe such Hypocrenian liquor in all my life.

p.s. - I think it was maverick who threw 'hippocrene' (the Hypo- is listed as "erron.") at us once upon a time. too bad he's not around to explain this allusive use to us.

p.p.s. - as somebody or else might say, proxy schmoxy..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage talked about tasting A

I was simply recalling a metaphor from the long MIA xara who used to talk about the way phrases "tasted". Personally I thought the correct answer was one of the most unlikely, but then I thought pretty much the same about J and it garnered as many votes as the winner, so who am I to say?

#101735 04/26/03 09:02 PM
R
rav Offline
R
so how does it go next? when the next occasion for wrong answers?? ;P i just can't wait :)

#101736 04/26/03 09:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think we should devise a rule next time that gives rav a point just for participating, given that this is a foreign language for him/her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith