Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100478 - 04/10/03 11:52 PM Re: Joanna..
Jackie Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
a woman after my own hearth.
SIGH--some women have all the luck!

#100479 - 04/11/03 09:44 AM Re: orange oil cleaners
of troy Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: rego park
--Musick, do you remember the orange oil based hand cleaner packets that that xerox had for its techs? Did your father use it?

most cleaners work on the like disolves like for cleaning, so soaps (and detergents) are oilly products, that are used to dissolve other oils, and then wash away..

some oils are better than others.. olive is a very soft oil, and has been used for cleaning for eons, (and is still used in castile soap) orange oil is fragrent, and does a good job, and is just the latest rage. it is not as mild as one thinks, (it has a high acid content) and dries out your skin.

#100480 - 04/13/03 11:28 PM Re: googlewashing
modestgoddess Offline
old hand

Loc: Eastern Ontario, Canada
Just meandering back to the original post....I had thought Google listings were random, somehow - but I recently learned that different companies can pay (through the nose, mind you) to have their website appear as the first or one of the highest for certain key words or searches.

How did I learn this? That is how the Kingston Economic Development Corporation, aka KEDCO, has decided, in its infinite wisdom , to advertise the City of Kingston. Part of the new ad campaign says, "From the sheets to the streets!" Does this sound just a little tacky and racy both, to anyone else?! I suppose it could have been worse, it could have been the other way around....

#100481 - 04/14/03 12:30 AM Re: googlewashing
sjm Offline
old hand

Loc: Akina
Just meandering back to the original post....I had thought Google listings were random, somehow - but I recently learned that different companies can pay (through the nose, mind you) to have their website appear as the first or one of the highest for certain key words or searches.
How did I learn this? That is how the Kingston Economic Development Corporation, aka KEDCO, has decided, in its infinite wisdom , to advertise the City of Kingston. Part of the new ad campaign says, "From the sheets to the streets!" Does this sound just a little tacky and racy both, to anyone else?! I suppose it could have been worse, it could have been the other way around....

These paid links are not the same as googlewashing, and Google's jhandling of the paid links is eminently ethical and above-board. They do not show up unannounced at the top of a search. Instead, they are clearly boxed and listed as sponsored links.

For an example of googlewashing in action ( a very different animal) see this link:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/30087.html

#100482 - 04/14/03 02:30 AM Re: googlewashing
Bingley Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jakarta
Well, I looked at the link, sjm. I'm not at all sure I understood it, though. It seems to be saying that for some reason Google takes more notice of (some?)blogs than it does of other sites, but doesn't actually explain why (or maybe it does -- some parts were just incomprehensible).

I've seen blogs occasionally. They seem to be a sort of private AWAD. The owner gives his or her thought for the day and then other people discuss it in thread view. I don't see why they would get priority in Google searches though.

Bingley

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8748 Members
16 Forums
13809 Topics
215563 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
grannygoose, BondNickles, bobwar, Johnreed28, Lakshman
8748 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
LukeJavan8 96
endymion6 92
wofahulicodoc 88
A C Bowden 54
Tromboniator 11
tuhin 2
Jorg 1
chicablanca 1
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10523
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
LukeJavan8 6608
AnnaStrophic 6511
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith