Print Thread
#100126 04/05/03 03:13 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
hurdle - defined in spelling bee list as an artificial barrier over which horses leap in a race. It also means many other things:

hurdle
n.
5ME hirdel < OE hyrdel < Gmc base *hurd3, wickerwork, hurdle, akin to hyrd, door, Frank *hurda, a pen, fold < IE base *kert3, to plait, twist together > L cratis (see CRATE), Gr kyrtos, bird cage6
1 [Chiefly Brit.] a portable frame made of interlaced twigs, etc., used as a temporary fence or enclosure
2 a kind of frame or sled on which prisoners in England were drawn through the streets to execution
3 any of a series of framelike barriers over which horses or runners must leap in a special race (the hurdles)
4 a difficulty to be overcome; obstacle
vt.
3dled, 3dling
1 to enclose or fence off with hurdles
2 to jump over (a barrier), as in a race
3 to overcome (an obstacle)
hur4dler
n.
And when sheep get out of enclosure, people with large panels use them to force sheep back into entrance they have left. But one trained sheep dog is worth a hundred people.

hure - Not in my dictionary, and search found only German word for sex worker. (as current PC goes)

hustings
n.pl.
5ME husting < OE < ON hdsthing, lit., house council < hds, a house + thing, assembly (see THING): orig., a lord‘s household assembly as distinct from a general assembly6 [usually with sing. v.]
1 orig., a) a deliberative assembly b) a court held in various English cities and still occasionally in London c) the platform in London Guildhall where such a court was formerly held d) the temporary platform where candidates for Parliament formerly stood for nomination and spoke
2 the proceedings at an election
3 any place where political campaign speeches are made
4 the route followed by a campaigner for political office

hyacinth
n.
5L hyacinthus < Gr hyakinthos, wild hyacinth, bluebell, blue larkspur, hence a blue gem6
1 a) among the ancients, a blue gem, probably the sapphire b) any of the reddish-orange or brownish varieties of zircon or certain other minerals, used as a semiprecious stone
2 a) any of a genus (Hyacinthus) of plants of the lily family, with narrow channeled leaves and spikes of fragrant, bell-shaped flowers in white, yellow, red, blue, or purple b) the bulb of any of these plants c) the flower
3 a bluish purple
hy#a[cin4thine 73sin40in, 30jn#8
adj.
The name seems to have been taken from Mythology:(from Bullfinch’s book thereon:)
Apollo was passionately fond of a youth named Hyacinthus. He. accompanied him in his sports, carried the nets when he went fishing, led the dogs when he went to hunt, followed him in his excursions in the mountains, and neglected for him his lyre and his arrows. One day they played a game of quoits together, and Apollo, heaving aloft the discus, with strength mingled with skill, sent it high and far. Hyacinthus watched it as it flew, and excited with the sport ran forward to seize it, eager to make his throw, when the quoit bounded from the earth and struck him in the forehead. He fainted and fell. The god, as pale as himself, raised him and tried all his art to stanch the wound and retain the flitting life, but all in vain; the hurt was past the power of medicine. As when one has broken the stem of a lily in the garden it hangs its head and turns its flowers to the earth, so the head of the dying boy, as if too heavy for his neck, fell over on his shoulder. "Thou diest, Hyacinth," so spoke Phoebus, "robbed of thy youth by me. Thine is the suffering, mine the crime. Would that I could die for thee! But since that may not be, thou shalt live with me in memory and in song. My lyre shall celebrate thee, my song shall tell thy fate, and thou shalt become a flower inscribed with my regrets." While Apollo spoke, behold the blood which had flowed on the ground and stained the herbage ceased to be blood; but a flower of hue more beautiful than the Tyrian sprang up, resembling the lily, if it were not that this is purple and that silvery white.* And this was not enough for Phoebus; but to confer still greater honour, he marked the petals with his sorrow, and inscribed "Ah! ah!" upon them, as we see to this day. The flower bears the name of Hyacinthus, and with every returning spring revives the memory of his fate.

hybosis - Silver chub (Hybosis storeriana) Golden shiner*

Hydra
5ME ydre ( OFr < L), ydra < L Hydra < Gr, water serpent, akin to hydbr, WATER6
1 Gr. Myth. the nine-headed serpent slain by Hercules as one of his twelve labors: when any one of its heads is cut off, it is replaced by two others
2 a long S constellation between Cancer and Libra: the largest constellation
n.,
pl. 3dras or 3drae# 73drc#8 [h3]
1 any persistent or ever-increasing evil with many sources and causes
2 any of a family (Hydridae) of small, freshwater, solitary hydroids having a dominant soft-bodied polyp stage
hydrazine
n.
5HYDR(O)3 + AZINE6 a colorless, corrosive, liquid base, H2NNH2, used as a jet and rocket fuel, a reducing agent, antioxidant, etc.

hydrognosy - Plutarch, in his Life of Caesar, says that the German women prophesied outcome of battles, etcl, by studying patterns of eddy currents in the river

hydrology
n.
5ModL hydrologia: see HYDRO3 & 3LOGY6the science dealing with the waters of the earth, their distribution on the surface and underground, and the cycle involving evaporation, precipitation, flow to the seas, etc.
hy[dro[log[ic 7hj#drb l9j4ik8 or hy#dro[log4i[cal
adj.
hy[drol$o[gist
n.
hydrolysis sis8
n.,
pl. 3ses# 73scz#8 5HYDRO3 + 3LYSIS6 a chemical reaction in which a substance reacts with water so as to be changed into one or more other substances, as a starch into glucose, natural fats into glycerol and fatty acids, or a salt into a weak acid or a weak base
hy[dro[lyt[ic 7hj#drb lit4ik8
adj.
hydrolytic - referring to process of making hydrogen by passing electric direct current through water containing a small amount of acid ions to conduct the current.

Hygeia
5L Hygea < Gr Hygeia, Hygieia < hygics: see fol.6 Gr. Myth. the goddess of health
From which are derived many words related to health.

Hygrodeik is used to measure relative humidity. Like the ... humidity

hylophagous
adj.
5prec. + 3PHAGOUS6 feeding on wood, as some insects
Would “hylaphagous” mean French?

hyla
n.
5ModL < Gr hylc, wood6 any of a large genus (Hyla) of tree frogs, as the spring peeper
Or should it be “Ranaphagous” from Rana pipiens?

hyoid
adj.
5Fr hyo:de < ModL hyoides < Gr hyoeidcs, shaped like the letter " (upsilon) < hy, upsilon + 3eidcs, 3OID6 designating or of a bone or bones supporting the tongue at its base: U3shaped in humans
n.
the hyoid bone or bones

#100127 04/07/03 05:35 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
The paintings site http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/b/b-13.htm#broc has a picture by Jean Broc called the Death of Hyacinth. It's the last one on the page. Click on the thumbnail to see a larger copy of the picture.

Bingley

Bingley

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith