Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh Grail - 02/08/03 11:25 PM
Though I learned the word "grail" from books I read when I was quite young, I never thought
until just now to look it up, to learn its pedigree. I was surprised to find it derives ultimately
from "krater'
Grail
5ME graal < OFr < ML gradalis, flat dish, cup < ? VL *cratalis < L crater, mixing bowl: see CRATER6 Medieval Legend the cup or platter used by Jesus at the Last Supper, and by Joseph of Arimathea to collect drops of Jesus‘ blood at the Crucifixion: the quest for the Grail, which disappeared, is treated in Malory‘s Morte Darthur, Wagner‘s Parsifal, etc. Also Holy Grail

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Grail - 02/10/03 03:40 AM
the quest for the Grail, which disappeared, is treated in Malory‘s Morte Darthur, Wagner‘s Parsifal, etc.

One can't leave Monty Python out of this equation, can one?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Grail - 02/10/03 10:20 AM
Ni!

Posted By: dxb Re: Grail - 02/11/03 01:01 PM
The grail and Morte D'Arthur made me think of The Questing Beast Glatisant, so I did some questing and offer a link for those who may be interested.

http://www.employees.org/~pcorless/pendragon/glatisant.txt

This was the most informative of all the links I found.

I also came across references to the Lancelot-Vulgate and Post-Vulgate Quest for the Holy Grail legends - all new to me; looking in Amazon I was distressed by the prices for a translation of these works. I am amazed at not having come across them before. I have a good copy of Mallory but these predate him, seem to be better written than Geoffrey of Monmouth's even earlier work, and I lust after them!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Grail - 02/11/03 01:57 PM
I was distressed

Does that mean you were also disheveled?

Posted By: dxb Re: Grail - 02/11/03 02:38 PM
I was quite tidy, but I was less than stinctly gusted. Ummm, not sure that's right.

© Wordsmith.org