Wordsmith.org
Posted By: PopeBongothe1st Why do I know these things? - 05/16/00 12:44 AM
I think the actual naming of "Pumpernickel" was made by trappist monks in Germany... Loosely translated, it means "Devil's Fart (pardon the cursing)"...

Yes, kids... It's a piece of hidden info that you'll, without a doubt, NEVER hear on Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story..."

;^P

Never Trust a Naked Bus Driver
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Why do I know these things? - 03/14/01 02:49 PM
> Devil's Fart , ... hidden information .. ???
More like erroneous information...
The name Pumpernickel truely has a widely debated etymology but 'devil's fart' it most certainly is not.
'How do I know? I hear you ask, well because otherwise it would be called 'Teufels Furz'.
It is widely believed that a backer, 'Bäckermeister Pompey' was the first to create this bread by accident somewhere along the Rhine valley centuries ago. He forgot about his bread and over-cooked and the oven cooled. Pretty soon this became famous and word spread of Pompeys Nickel (nickel meaning something like a concoction in this case). Due to the Plattdeutsch accent spoken in the area it quickly became Pompeinsnickel or Pumpernickel. There are many other fables though, what is clear is this:
The name Devil's Fart for Pumpernickel came from English/Irish immigrants who were forced to eat it during the journey to, or once in America. It's just a silly name made up by them. ...And you thought it was the real meaning of the word ... shame on you popebongo

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Why do I know these things? - 03/14/01 10:22 PM
shame on you popebongo

You're talking to thin air. He's been gone for almost a year.

Posted By: wwh Re: Why do I know these things? - 03/17/01 05:38 PM
http://www.retroactive.com/jan98/petomane.html

But "Le Petomane" lives. I forget how to make URL above clickable, but just put "petomane" in Yahoo search box.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/17/01 07:46 PM

Posted By: wizzen Re: Why do I know these things? - 03/17/01 10:09 PM
Actually, it's also a theory that Pumpernickel does indeed mean devil's fart. It come from the fact that one of the nicknames for the devil in German is "old nick" (hence "nickel") and the bread is said to make even him fart ("pumper", also a dialect word). There are also other etymologies, but none is sufficiently proven.

Posted By: musick Why do you.... - 03/17/01 11:09 PM
YART!

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Why do you.... - 03/17/01 11:56 PM
Check out the other thread in this category...
This territory has been covered before.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Why do you.... - 03/19/01 08:36 AM
>This territory has been covered before

Shame on us for even mentioning a such a topic.

Teufels Furz - die Verarschung lässt grüßen

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Why do you.... - 03/19/01 01:45 PM
Don't be angry, belligerentyouth. I wasn't dissing your contributions to the topic, just directing you to a further discussion of it. Sorry if I sounded a little peremptory. (Mea culpa).

Posted By: wwh Re: Why do you.... - 03/19/01 05:36 PM
Jedes bönchen gibt sein Tönchen.

Posted By: Rapunzel Huh? - 03/20/01 02:29 AM
Okay guys, I know my last name is Gierschick, but that doesn't make me a German scholar...

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Huh? - 03/20/01 11:05 AM
>cheers wwh: Pujol could "inhale" as much as two quarts of air (as measured by Dr. Marcel Baudouin in 1892) through his distended bottom

I'm not feeling too well.

> Jedes Bönchen gibt ein Tönchen.
It looses a lot in translation:
Every little bean, makes a little tone (noise)
It's the German equivalent of
'Beans, beans they're good for you're heart, beans, beans they ...'

> a German scholar
Rapunzel, if that's what one were to learn as a German scholar then you'd want to stick to Latin!

Posted By: BlanchePatch Re: Why do I know these things? - 03/20/01 12:45 PM
Bäckermeister Pompey' was the first to create this bread by accident somewhere along the Rhine valley centuries ago. He forgot about his bread and over-cooked and the oven cooled. Pretty soon this became famous
Aha! This can't be true. You don't make Pumpernickel by burning bread! It's a combination of whole-grain flowers and coloring ingredients (molasses and such). The only thing burnt bread is good for is counteracting poison.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Why do I know these things? - 03/20/01 01:16 PM
Did I say 'burning' ... well I meant cooking it for a long time. Have you made Pumpernickel often Blanche?

Posted By: musick Re: Why do I know these things? - 03/20/01 09:17 PM
Mor-mor said "Burnt bread, especially the crust, is good for your singing voice."

Posted By: maverick Re: Why do I know these things? - 03/21/01 11:54 AM
good for your singing voice

Right. Eat a live frog, too - after that, the day can only get better

Posted By: Sparteye crunchy frogs - 03/22/01 02:38 PM
"Eat a live frog, too - after that, the day can only get better."

But not for the frog.

Posted By: maverick Re: crunchy frogs - 03/22/01 03:04 PM
not for the frog

Si - bien sûr!

© Wordsmith.org