Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dodyskin Eponyms - 05/18/02 06:20 PM
I just found out that Mesmer was a real person who popularised hypnotism in the west. Mesmer= mesmerism. Anyone know any others?

Posted By: wwh Re: Eponyms - 05/18/02 06:50 PM
Dear dodyskin: there are a lot of such eponyms, but it's problem remembering or searching for the ones previously posted. But to follow your example, "Sadism" after the Marquis de Sade, pleasure in causing pain.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Eponyms - 07/07/02 11:26 PM
Masochist: "Hurt me!"

Sadist: "No!"

*rimshot*

Posted By: wwh Re: Eponyms - 07/08/02 12:17 AM
There was a young girl of East Anglia
Whose loins were a tangle of ganglia.
Her mind was a webbing
Of Freud and Krafft-Ebing
And all sorts of other new-fanglia.
- Aldous Huxley (attrib.)

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Eponyms - 07/16/02 10:41 AM
I have found that the most common form of eponyms has been to name new diseases after the first person to be identified having suffered from it. This may not be the case with all diseases but it is with most I know.

Parkinson's and Hodgkin's come to mind.

Another form of eponyms is practiced in sport and, in particular in gymnastics where a new technique is named after the gymnast who first performs it successfully in public. There are techniques called a Katchev, a Korbut and even a Kim.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Eponyms - 07/16/02 10:45 AM
here's another one from sport:

Main Entry: sal.chow
Pronunciation: 'sal-"kau, -"kov, -(")kO
Function: noun
Etymology: Ulrich Salchow died 1949 Swedish figure skater
Date: 1940
: a figure-skating jump with a takeoff from the back inside edge of one skate followed by a full turn in the air and a landing on the back outside edge of the opposite skate

Posted By: maverick Re: Eponyms - 07/16/02 12:01 PM
There are techniques called [...]even a Kim

Wait, lemme guess: a double back-flip off the parallel bars, kicking the judge in passing whilst landing on points with a beatific smile to the crowd? *eg*

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Eponyms - 07/16/02 01:16 PM
Wait, lemme guess: a double back-flip off the parallel bars, kicking the judge in passing whilst landing on points with a beatific smile to the
crowd? *eg*

Who have we in mind, Mav? [feigning ignorance emoticon]

Posted By: wwh Re: Eponyms - 07/16/02 06:53 PM
Even when I was in medical school over fifty years ago, medical eponyms were frowned on
because there were so many, and the names gave no clue. So medical educators demanded
that diseases be named by anatomical, pathological, or physiological attributes.
As a single example, "Lou Gehrig's disease" would mean nothing to doctors in UK.
Now it is called Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.
Here is a URL to a dictionary of eponyms, of both diseases and devices that will
have over 15,000 entries when finished. Imagine trying to remember that many!

http://www.whonamedit.com/azeponyms.cfm/A.html

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Eponyms - 07/16/02 08:50 PM
Eponyms are unusual in the law, but everybody has heard of Miranda rights.

Posted By: of troy Re: Eponyms - 07/16/02 11:49 PM
and Roe vs. Wade is an other well known one in US law

Posted By: belligerentyouth Roe vs. Wade - 07/17/02 11:07 AM
> Roe vs. Wade

Isn't that just a precedent case rather than an eponym? Or can you say "Wow, that was a real 'Roe vs. Wade!', or something like that?

[btw, I have no clue what that case entailed]

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Roe vs. Wade - 07/17/02 02:04 PM
[btw, I have no clue what that case entailed]

I believe it was the infamous ruling which legalised abortion in the States. I read recently that there was talk of overturning it or, at least, suppressing some of it.

Posted By: sjm Re: Roe vs. Wade - 07/19/02 10:03 PM
>Isn't that just a precedent case rather than an eponym?

I agree. The Miranda case seems more eponymous, even having spawned a verb, "to mirandise." It also applies to a wide range of circumstances, unlike the abortion-specific Roe vs. Wade.

Posted By: armor Re: Roe vs. Wade - 07/21/02 10:00 PM
It's a little hard to use "Roe" as an eponym, since it's also used as a general, faceless name, the equivalent of John Doe.

Posted By: ToadAway Re: Eponyms - 08/07/02 05:09 PM
I assume that the golf term "mulligan," for a "do-over" shot, could be traced to some bad-tempered fellow named Mulligan, who would not accept a bad shot. Anyone know if that's true?

Even if you are not blind, you can only see so much.
Posted By: wwh Re: Eponyms - 08/07/02 06:58 PM
Dear Toadaway: I found a half dozen URL's about "mulligan" Below is the one that
seemed best. You have to scroll down to beginning of last paragraph:

http://www.usgolfer.net/articles/2002/may2.html

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Eponyms - 08/24/02 06:18 PM
What about Mulligan stew? I suppose that's not an eponym, but it sure sounds good!

Posted By: of troy Re: Eponyms - 08/24/02 07:02 PM
What about Mulligan stew?
Mulligan (stew) is a hobson-jobson word.. it from an indian dish (and goes by several different names, mulligatawny, is one other) and all are hobson-jobson words..

it is vegitarian spicy stew.. (at least as it appears in US)

maybe SJM, or someone from the UK can help.., since i don't remember the proper "name" (which i think is from Hindi)

(as a child at camp, the recipe was 1 can of tomato soup, 1 can of vegetable, and one can onion, and one can of bean soup, and 1 can of mixed vegetables. add 1 tbsp of mild curry powder. this was enough to serve 8 or 10 hungry kids after a day of hiking. it actually tasted pretty good, much better than it sounds)

Posted By: sjm Re: Eponyms - 08/24/02 07:35 PM
Here's all M-W has to offer:

Main Entry:mulligan stew
Function:noun
Etymology:probably from the name Mulligan
Date:1904

: a stew made from whatever ingredients are available
--------------
Not very helpful, eh?

Posted By: wwh Re: Eponyms - 08/24/02 08:13 PM
Some mysteries are best left unsolved:
"So we put music to the words
And sang with all our might:

"Who threw the overalls
In Mrs. Murphy's chowder?"

Posted By: emanuela Re: Eponyms - 08/25/02 07:09 AM
this reminds me my " risotto al frigorifero " recipe = literally refrigerator rize.
The recipe is
open the refrigerator
take everything (not sweet)
cook with rize.

usually not bad ... always a surprise

Posted By: Wordwind Re: frigorifero - 08/25/02 11:10 AM
Thanks, Emanuela, for frigorifero. Probably "fero" means something along the lines of "to make," I would guess.

But "fero" makes me think of a fire, so in a whimsical mental response to frigorifero, I think of a refrigerated fire. This is just whimsy, however.

By the way, since "fero" is out here for discussion, I'll mention that ferrophiliac from the Hogwash I didn't carry through, meant an amateur with a keen interest in railroads. Ferrophiliac wasn't to be found in any standard dictionary that I had access to, but it was found in The Random House Word Finder, a book with very long lists on a variety of subjects, including transportation. That's where I spotted ferrophiliac--but the ferro here meant iron.

So, Mulligan Stew is just about anything you'd make it, huh? It sounds as hearty and perfect for fall and winter as does that New England dish, Red Flannel Hash, which I understand is what New Englanders do with the remainder of their corned beef the night after they've had the traditional New England dinner of corned beef, potatoes and cabbage. Whenever we have corned beef, potatoes and cabbage here at the farm, there's never enough left over for Red Flannel Hash, so I've never had it. I understand beets are one of the ingredients in Red Flannel Hash.

Sorry to get off track...

Beef regards,
WW

Posted By: wwh Re: frigorifero - 08/25/02 12:59 PM
Dear Wordwind: I haven't had Red Flannel hash since I was a kid. My mother always put in
enough beets to give it a lot of color. When it was browned, it was very good. Hash used
to be common enough that "hash house" was slang for a low class restaurant. And "to make
a hash" of something meant to mess it up.

Posted By: emanuela fero - 08/26/02 07:23 AM
Thanks, Emanuela, for frigorifero. Probably "fero" means something along the lines of "to
make," I would guess.

not to make, but "to bring"

It reminds me the verse TIMEO DANAOS ET DONA FERENTES
I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts

(VIRGILio, Eneide, II, 49).

Perhaps it is Laocoonte telling about Troy receiving the Troy horse from Greeks.
Sorry for not knowing the names in English.

Posted By: wwh Re: fero - 08/26/02 01:00 PM
Dear emanuela: I was amazed by how many sites were brought up by a search
for your quotation. I was trying to see if I could find anything to make a post.
Here's just the top of the list:

1.Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes - Welcome. Hello! My name is Panos Ipeirotis and I'm from
Greece. I am a third year PhD student at the Department of Computer Science ...
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~pirot/

Posted By: Faldage Re: timeo danaos et dona ferentes - 08/26/02 02:31 PM
Sorry for not knowing the names in English.

Timmy O'Donahue and Donna Ferranti.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: timeo danaos et dona ferentes - 08/26/02 03:12 PM
When you guys are done *horsing* around, let me know and I'll supply emanuela with the phrase as it's commonly translated in English. If Helen of Troy doesn't beat me to it. Or one of y'all could.

Posted By: wwh Re: timeo danaos et dona ferentes - 08/26/02 03:27 PM
It means "Always look the gift horse in the mouth." The Trojans paid a high price
for not looking their gift horse in the mouth, or rather in the belly.

Posted By: Faldage Re: timeo danaos et dona ferentes - 08/26/02 03:37 PM
Of course, emanuela's version is closer to the actual meaning, but USns, at least, say, "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts." We also say the Trojan horse rather than the Troy horse and the Lao guy she mentioned is normally known as Laocoön, where the diaresis indicates, not umlaut but that the ö is pronounced independently of the preceding o.

There. That serious enough for you, ASp?
Posted By: of troy Re: timeo danaos et dona ferentes - 08/26/02 03:38 PM
RE: I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts

Vs. It means "Always look the gift horse in the mouth."

I would have said
"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" which i think is the most common translation.

Posted By: Faldage Re: timeo danaos et dona ferentes - 08/26/02 03:47 PM
the most common translation.

Ha! 50 points for beating ledasdottir by 48 seconds, 100 for added information about Laocoön and the Trojan horse and 75 points for knowing that emanuela's translation is more accurate than the standard English. And minus 10,000 for crowing about it.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: timeo danaos et dona ferentes - 08/26/02 03:49 PM
Ok, Now that's settled.

I believe we decided a while back that "gift horse" comes from an entirely other place.

PS He who crows about horses goeth before a fall.

Posted By: sjm Re: fero - 08/26/02 08:11 PM
>I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts

I first learned this more accurate rendition from the lips of W'ON's most favouritest actor in the whole wide world, Nicolas Coppola.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: fero - 08/28/02 05:22 AM
That's NicHolas Coppola to you!

Anybody wanna remake the Navaho Code Talker movie?...PLEASE?

My favorotest actor, yup. He's a real rottist, he is.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Mr. N. C. - 08/28/02 08:30 PM
He's got presence...

He steals the scene...

He's rough and ready...

But smooth -- oh, so smooth...

I can't take my eyes off him...

His voice, oh that voice!...

He's believable, convincing, and makes his own kind of stamp...

And I know lots and lots of women who have crushes on him.

Why, oh, W'on, oh, why are you so hard on him? Why are you so blind to his virtues? And they are many!!!

[By the way: Did you like Richard Burton in Night of the Iguana? If you didn't, then I'll know that our taste is opposite because I thought Burton was pure brilliance in that. Not that I think Mr. N. C. is in Burton's league at all, but I still think N.C. grabs a scene and makes it his own.]

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Mr. N. C. - 08/28/02 09:27 PM
Mr.? N. C....must stand for N.o C.harisma!

Yeah...I like Richard Burton (though he never lived up to his potential...too many poor career choices). And I liked his work in "Iguana".

But all I can say to the other "thing" is:

"Oooooooooo...Rudolf Valentino!!!....Ahhhhhhhhhh"

It's just a timeless blinding swoon, isn't it? Screen crushes are no excuse for excusing poor work. Now my main screen crush also happened to be a consummate actress...Natalie Wood. So there!

© Wordsmith.org