Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind German Corrections Needed - 10/14/04 11:59 AM
My planning period happens to be in the same room with a German class. I tried to copy out a German expression, but couldn't keep up with the teacher since my computer is behind the teacher's lectern and his screen is just about out of sight. But the expression was comical--and I did my best to copy it out correctly.

Would any of you care to correct my spelling? I would ask him, but he's busy and, quite frankly, I'd be a little embarrassed to admit that I was copying out his work while entering grades here at the computer.

Pessimist:

Jemand, der daruber, dass kein Haar in der Suppe ist, solane den Kopf schuttelt, bis eins drin ist.

I spotted an umlaut over daruber and I think over 'schuttelt', but I'm not sure whether that 'l' in schuttelt was an 'l' or an 'i'.

Posted By: jheem Re: German Corrections Needed - 10/14/04 01:06 PM
Jemand, der daruber, dass kein Haar in der Suppe ist, solane den Kopf schuttelt, bis eins drin ist.

Jemand, der darüber, dass kein Haar in der Suppe ist, solange den Kopf schüttelt, bis eins drin ist.

Missed a couple of umlauts and a 'g'.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: German Corrections Needed - 10/14/04 09:06 PM
Thanks, j'h!

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: German Corrections Needed - 08/14/05 03:28 PM
Jemand, der darüber, dass kein Haar in der Suppe ist, solange den Kopf schüttelt, bis eins drin ist

"...someone who, if there's no hair in his soup, shakes his head until one falls in..." ?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Pessimist - 08/14/05 03:32 PM
or, after further thought:

...one who, having found no hair in his soup, shakes his head [in dismay] so long that one [of his own] falls in...

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Pessimist - 11/01/05 02:47 AM
Someone, that fellow over there, who eats no hair in his soup, shakes his head so long, that a hair is in it.

That is, "jemand, der darüber dem kein haar in der suppe ißt . . . (not "ist"). (I think I have that almost right).

It's the old ist/ißt game, and, as you can see, isn't at all funny when translated. It also isn't very funny when it isn't translated.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re:Mann ist was er ißt - 11/02/05 12:44 PM
Those wacky Germans...
Posted By: CarstenKruse Re: Pessimist - 03/13/06 07:47 AM
The ß doesn't make any sense here. The sentence "Pessimist: Jemand, der darüber, dass kein Haar in der Suppe ist, solange den Kopf schüttelt, bis eins reinfällt" is pretty funny. The word "darüber" doesn't mean "above" here but "because of", btw. It's simply "Pessimist: Someone who finding not a single hair in his bowl of soup will shake his head until finally one will fall into it (and so, finally giving the pessimist the desired feeling ;-)
It doesn't have anything to do with "someone eating his soup with a hair in it"
Posted By: jamjuree Re: Pessimist - 01/24/12 04:24 AM
yes ! Those wacky Germans.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Pessimist - 01/24/12 03:43 PM
Welcome Jamjuree. You certainly found a thread last
used back in '06. But lots of new people here since
then, so maybe it will spark some new interest.
Posted By: Jonn Re: Pessimist - 02/05/12 08:26 AM
Ach, diese Schweinerei muß eine andere werden!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Pessimist - 02/05/12 03:46 PM
smirk
Posted By: BranShea Re: Pessimist - 02/05/12 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Jonn
Ach, diese Schweinerei muß eine andere werden!
Do you mean: Man ist was man ißt?
© Wordsmith.org