Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth die Gemütlichkeit - 03/15/02 12:59 PM
Don't know whether this is a 'proper' loan word, but then again, we're not too bothered here, huh. This is one of those words that English has no decent translation of, and therefore it fills an empty spot. I'd be happy to hear any better English words to describe it than that which the average Eng-Ger dictionary comes up with - cosiness, snugness, sociability, etc. It might be described in English as the relaxed, casual, and open atmosphere which occurs a some social gatherings, usually involving alcohol. This word is mainly used in southern Germany, often in sentences which refer to Bierfeste like Oktoberfest. At the moment the Starkbier Fest, or Nockerberg as it's known to the Bavarians is on. It claims many a tourist, because the beer is 8-9 %, black and heavy. Tonight I'm going out with some British and American foreigners who are very keen on German beer - so we'll see what happens.

Posted By: wwh Re: die Gemütlichkeit - 03/15/02 05:39 PM
Dear by: I spent ten minutes trying to think of an English equivalent, but could not do better than "Unanimous Hospitality".

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: die Gemütlichkeit - 03/16/02 01:36 AM
Conviviality [re: convivial] might be closer, by....or, perhaps, even insouciance.
Posted By: Wordwind Re: die Gemütlichkeit - 03/16/02 11:44 AM
Dear Whit,

Insouciance? What? Are we moving into results of the occasion now? And, if so, couldn't we refer to tsuwm's list of drinking terms. I believe there were many words to describe mental states of the drinking.

Beer regards, Yuck! Can't stand the stuff!
WW

Posted By: tsuwm Re: die Gemütlichkeit - 03/16/02 10:24 PM
I too am bemused by the suggestion of insouciance; gemutlich suggests easy-going, good-natured cheerfulness, while insouciance only conjures up carelessness and indifference.

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: die Gemütlichkeit - 03/17/02 04:22 AM
Perhaps I was just insouciantly adding an afterthought there with insoucinace. Stick with conviviality there, by, I think that's the ticket.

© Wordsmith.org