Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Istigkeit - 03/12/02 02:01 PM
If istigkeit is is-ness, what is was-ness and, also, what is will be-ness?

Best regards,
WordWondering

Posted By: Faldage Re: Istigkeit - 03/12/02 02:25 PM
what is was-ness and, also, what is will be-ness?

Warigkeit? Wirdseinigkeit?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Istigkeit - 03/13/02 12:57 PM
Dear Faldage,

Obviously "is-ness" is not a hot topic among AWADERS, but thanks a lot for your offerings. If you check back here, would you please break down the words you suggested for was-ness and will be-ness? The German I know is pretty much limited to sauerbraten, hessenpfeiffer, and a few odd phrases!

Thanks,
WordWill-ness

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Istigkeit - 03/13/02 01:15 PM
It's not that we're not paying attention, I for one just don't speak German...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Istigkeit - 03/13/02 01:56 PM
Ist = to be -- 3rd person singular present tense

ig = adverb making suffix (not sure what this is doing in here, mebbe NW knows)

keit = ness

war = to be -- 3rd person singular past tense

wird = to become -- 3rd person singular present tense - periphrastic future marker, takes infinitive

sein = to be -- infinitive

PS
Forget hessenpfeiffer Sounds like a Hessian piper. What you know is Hassenpfeffer, peppered hare (yum)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Istigkeit - 03/13/02 04:15 PM
Dear Faldage,

Thanks for providing the correct spelling of hassenpfeffer.
And thanks, also, for translating the German isness business.

WW

Posted By: Faldage Re: Istigkeit - 03/13/02 04:56 PM
Thanks

Ganz meiner Seits.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/13/02 06:40 PM
Posted By: Faldage Re: Istigkeit - 03/13/02 08:39 PM
Wirdseinigkeit?

why not just wirdigkeit?

Beats me. I was just inventing words based on WordWind's Istigkeit. Will be = wird sein, at least literally.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/13/02 09:03 PM
Posted By: Faldage Re: Wärekeit - 03/14/02 03:52 PM
I din't never like that -ig- in there anyway. But then I ain' xactly what you'd call fluent auf deutsch.

And, WW, Dr. Bill was kind enough to point out to me in PM that Hassenpfeffer is actual spelt Hasenpfeffer.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Wärekeit - 03/15/02 12:12 PM
> I din't never like that -ig- in there anyway.

The -ig- doesn't have any point (a bit like some threads), your right. Istigkeit would have to be something like isiness or isity, rather than isness, if it wasn't nonsense in the first place. It's not much of a word really - I'd like to see a Duden entry for it though!
Clearly Meister whats-his-name who coined this one was aiming for something with a ring to it (Istkeit sounds crap), and for something with a pseudo-official look. I take it this was done with some tongue planted in cheek.
Nice variations by the way Faldage, though I can't see Pons rushing to include them in their next volume.

This is the first time I've ventured beyond the threaded equator since getting to the Board. And it's good to see this rubric has finally been opened up!

© Wordsmith.org