Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/06/05 09:04 AM
Happy bearthday, Father Steve. ;)

I like the dragon-as-ratcatcher stories about Magnus too.

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/06/05 09:11 AM
Are you sure the first word of the subject isn't supposed to be feets?

Posted By: consuelo Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/06/05 09:48 AM
What Mav said, Father Steve. When you reach a certain age you are expected to start counting backwards you know. I hope it's all you could wish for.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/06/05 09:49 AM
ok. I'm confused.

guess I'd better google St. Magnus...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/06/05 12:56 PM
Birthday greetings to you, Father Steve, even though I haven't a clue what Mav's on about! (isn't the first time...)

Posted By: maverick Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/06/05 01:17 PM
hehheh

ycliu (whatdja get at the bottom of the page, eta?) - but it's not a birthday anniversary...

:)

Posted By: Marianna Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/06/05 01:26 PM
Maybe a festivity for people with big feet?
No, no... not just men with big feet!... What y'all thinking of anyway, huh?

Posted By: Bingley Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/07/05 05:33 AM
Even having looked up St. Magnus, I still have no idea what Maverick is talking about.

Bingley
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/07/05 09:02 AM
> (whatdja get at the bottom of the page, eta?)

© 2005 google

Posted By: maverick Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/07/05 11:09 AM
d'oh!

> © 2005 google
lol!

It seems appropriate that a sharply prescriptivist regard to diacritics yields such differences of search results.

Try googlin "Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen"...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/07/05 11:50 AM
[sigh] Happy Wordanniversary, Fr Steve [/sigh]

Mav, you're too clever for your own good!

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/07/05 12:42 PM
yeeps! My claim to fame in life is a single entry in Google. Mayhaps this will be listed on my tombstone, or at least in my newspaper obituary.

Perhaps this would be more fitting that the epitaph of Spike Milligan -- late of "The Goon Show" -- whose tombstone is reputed to read "I told you I was ill."

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/07/05 12:53 PM
heh.

bingo! found it.

(I got my google prefs to show 30...)

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/10/05 12:28 AM
Sorry for missing your birthday Father Steve. I hope it was a good one. Many happy wishes.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/10/05 12:52 AM
Bel, dearest, it WASN'T my birthday!

FS

Posted By: consuelo Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/10/05 03:28 PM
Right enough. That would be towards the end of March. Funny, seems to me something like this has happened before but I don't feel like LIU.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/10/05 05:48 PM
Querida ~

You are correct. My birthday birthday is also the Feast of Saint Gregory the Illuminator, which is, perhaps, why I am so bright ... 'tho it fails to explain my great humility.

Father Steve

Posted By: consuelo Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/11/05 12:54 PM
Some of the most interesting things in life have no explanation, Father Steve, nor do they require one.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/12/05 12:15 AM
Really Well, that'll teach me to skim to the end of the thread. Ooops, I added your birthday in there with an automatic repeat every year - I better go in there and change it or I'll be wishing you a happy birthday on the wrong day every year.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/12/05 12:32 AM
...or I'll be wishing you a happy birthday on the wrong day every year.

For the record, I have no objection to being wished a happy birthday more than once a year, especially if there are presents or perhaps a special supper. That is, so long as I don't have to add a year to my body odometer every time someone does so.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/12/05 01:37 PM
Well, I can't promise you a gift or supper, but I did hoist a glass of wine in your honour. Not sure how that makes you feel, but I was quite happy about it *hiccup*

Won't someone finish the limerick already? I see the first line -

"The Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen... "

It just hangs like an unresolved chord...
and there's so much to work with
like Kissen and Küssen
and No, no, you mussen

I think I go bed now.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Et tu, Wofe? - 09/13/05 11:18 AM
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning, Doc.

Posted By: TEd Remington I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/13/05 01:24 PM
The Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen
Was a time for huggin and küssen.
Some frauleins would show off their küttens
That the boys could touch just with their müttens.
If the frauleins only knew what they're müssen.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/13/05 01:32 PM
Oooo, you are so in trouble with the gutter police. [running to hide-e]

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/13/05 02:42 PM
I hope it doesn't (re-)start a trend, either, TEd.

Meanwhile, I can appreciate the effort you put into your umlauts, but your scansion sucks.

Posted By: Jackie Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/13/05 03:57 PM
in trouble with the gutter police Well, since I neither read nor speak German, I wasn't bothered in the least!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/13/05 05:45 PM
Just shows to go you, Betsy, that I poesy no threat to the limerick-creators here.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/13/05 05:54 PM
Well, since I neither read nor speak German, I wasn't bothered in the least

FYI - Küssen (mit umlaut) means "kiss" and Kissen means pillow, a near-resemblance exploited in some amusing American-tourist-thought-he-knew-the-language misunderstandings...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/13/05 06:29 PM
Just shows to go you, Betsy, that I poesy no threat to the limerick-creators here.

Indeed. Best left to the prose.

Posted By: maverick Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/16/05 02:11 PM
Feast of Saint Gregory the Illuminator? This apparently is the patron saint of Armenia, which claims to be the first Christian state as a result of his conversion of the improbably named King Trdat.

You seem to have chosen wisely, but exactly how many multiple birthdays would you like to celebrate Father Steve?!

The Armenians (Monophysites and Uniates) keep the feast of their apostle on 30 September, when his relics were deposed at Thortan. They have many other feasts to commemorate his birth (August 5) , sufferings (February 4) , going into the pit (February 28) , coming out of the pit (October 19) , etc… The Byzantine Church keeps his feast (Gregorios ho phoster) on 30 September, as do also the Syrians (Nilles, I, 290-292). Pope Gregory XVI, in September, 1837, admitted his namesake to the Reman Calendar; and appointed 1 October as his feast (among the festa pro aliquibus locis).

[e.a.]

That’s a lot of birthday cake... :)

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07023a.htm

Posted By: maverick Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/16/05 02:31 PM
> I hope it doesn't (re-)start a trend

fightin' words, those are!

Gregory does birthday cake

The Feast of old Greg the Apostle
Is a party most grand for a fossil;
Once starved in a pit
Of Armenian shit,
His love of cream cake’s now colossal!

Posted By: Jackie Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/16/05 03:33 PM
Spunky, is he?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/16/05 05:56 PM
The legend of Greg Luminatus,
Whether real or perhaps adumbratus,
Is rehearsed every year
Both in Europe and here
And look where his festival got us.

Posted By: nancyk Re: I hope this doesn't start a trend! - 09/16/05 06:07 PM
Bravo, Fr. Steve!

Posted By: Bingley Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/17/05 12:46 AM
All right, I have to ask, if the 'Byzantines' (presumably Greek Orthodox) and Syrians (edit: not to mention the Aremenians whose saint he is) celebrate the saint on 30 September, why did Gregory XVI choose 1 October when he recognised him on behalf of the Roman Catholic church?

Was it just to be different, or is there some subtle calendrical point about the difference between the Julian calendar and what the Gregorian calendar would have said if it had been around in the saint's lifetime?

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: Feast of Saint Magnus of Füssen - 09/17/05 12:19 PM
the difference between the Julian calendar and what the Gregorian calendar

The difference between the Gregorian and Julian calendars added about 3 days every 400 years. The difference was about 11 days during Greg 16's papacy and St. Bigfoot was about 1000 years earlier, so, if my rough mental adding machine isn't slipping too many gears it was about 4 days different during St. Biggie's era.

© Wordsmith.org