Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy celphones and the do not call list (US) - 08/13/05 02:29 PM
JUST A REMINDER... 23 days from today, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls.YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS... These telemarketers will eat up your free minutes and end up costing you money in the long run.

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888/382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.

Or you can register on line at: www.donotcall.gov

Helen, et. al.:

This is not quite correct. Go to:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

TEd

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: celphones and the do not call list (US) - 08/13/05 11:58 PM
You USns pay for calls made TO your mobiles? Weird!

Posted By: Marianna Re: celphones and the do not call list (US) - 08/14/05 10:21 AM
And alternatively you really have to stop yourself from calling all those people you love to talk to?... Big time weird...

Posted By: vanguard Re: celphones and the do not call list (US) - 08/15/05 07:24 PM
Yeah - to and from. Plus the monthly "service" fees, etc. What a rip off, eh? My parents are the only ones who have my mobile number, and I keep it turned off most of the time. It's supposed to be for emergencies (in my case, I am a single woman living alone and go on longer driving trips) so I see no need to keep it on, anyway. It did come in handy when I was looking for a friend's house in the dark one cold winter morning (she needed a ride to work and I couldn't remember the address; phone number obtained from directory assistance 411 and there she was, two houses down from where I was calling!).
I call the people I really want to talk long-distance to on the weekends from my mobile; unlimited long-distance (toll calls) makes it much cheaper than the land-line phone.

© Wordsmith.org