Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Is English the Global Language? - 03/05/05 12:09 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7038031/site/newsweek/

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Is English the Global Language? - 03/05/05 12:27 AM
in a word: oui.

Seriously, this was almost bound to happen because of the advent of the comupter and the internet. My guess is that a person who cannot speak English will be considered illiterate by the end of this century. By the middle of this century perhaps all Europeans will have become predominantly English-speaking, because it's really the only languge that makes sense in the context of the information age.

Now if we could only do something to help the Zilds and the Strines.

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Is English the Global Language? - 03/07/05 02:08 AM
>Now if we could only do something to help the Zilds and the Strines.

Speaking as a Zilder, the easiest way for citizens of the USA to help us would be for them to learn English. As for the ockers, nothing can help them, except perhaps the evolution of sentience.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Is English the Global Language? - 03/07/05 04:02 AM
some good discussion of this here {before my time on AWAD, but I remembered being referred to it once before]:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=7527

(I think there may have been one or two Certifiably Yartified© and intriguingly worthwhile discussions about this on this board later as well)

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Is English the Global Language? - 03/07/05 12:29 PM
> By the middle of this century perhaps all Europeans will have become predominantly English-speaking

Très optimistique et très absurde, Bärchen:-)

> the only language that makes sense in the context of the information age.

The percentage of the internet which is in English has been dropping steadily for quite some time now. Should digital translation even nearly meet HGTTG-expectations then the 'information age' will be a native lingo affair.

There seems to be an increased interest in multi-lingual speakers in Europe (e.g. mushy English and at least two side-languages, please). Seems to me English is being spread ever thinner amongst more and more people who know just a little. Thus English forfeits some of its international standing as a language, despite its extraordinary dominance. It's the Windows of languages; a generous and nebulous bastardisation of imported works blanketed upon unwitting populations through economic and political tactics.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Is English the Global Language? - 03/07/05 12:32 PM
Me gusta viel il Europanto [/steering away from politics].

Posted By: themilum Re: Is English the Global Language? - 03/07/05 01:48 PM
And then belligerentyouth said...

"It's the Windows of languages; a generous and nebulous bastardisation of imported works blanketed upon unwitting populations through economic and political tactics."

...which could not have been said so concisely in bastardized English or Chinese or Hindu or Cherokee or Eskimo or...well, you get the picture.

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Is English the Global Language? - 03/08/05 12:31 AM
In reply to:

which could not have beed said so concisely in bastardized English or Chinese or Hindu or Cherokee or Eskimo

One of the above is, of course, a belief system, not a language. There is no such language as Chinese, nor Eskimo. Apparently, English is quite capable of being used with impressive imprecision.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Is English the Global Language? - 03/10/05 07:05 PM
It is in Brazil:

http:// http://makeashorterlink.com/?J618235AA

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Vocational English - 03/10/05 07:35 PM
Thanks, Fr Steve!

Posted By: maverick Re: evocational English - 03/13/05 09:16 PM
Whilst English marches ever outwards, the margins are (as ever) creatives spaces. In some parts of the world the fusions blur like sotong...

http://www.talkingcock.com/html/lexec.php?op=LexView&lexicon=lexicon&alpha=B&page=1

Posted By: Zed Re: evocational English - 03/15/05 11:39 PM
There was a time when anyone pretending to literacy, culture or class spoke French, or at least tried to. I have heard that since the largest "emerging market" is in South America that many European and Asian companies and schools are pushing Spanish as the second language of choice. But that was several years ago so who knows where we'll go next.
Most young Europeans I have talked to consider polylingualism as reasonable if not expected for anyone in business.

Posted By: maverick Re: polylingualism - 03/16/05 12:04 AM
> expected for anyone in business

Certainly helps in the pet trade.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: evocational English - 03/16/05 01:03 AM
There was a time when anyone interested in a career in diplomacy was advised to learn French. I wonder how long it has been since that was good advice.

Posted By: Jackie Re: the pet trade - 03/16/05 01:27 AM
Voulez-vous un craquelin?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: the pet trade - 03/16/05 06:24 AM
Voulez-vous un craquelin?

No, thanks. I gave up craquelins for Lent.

Posted By: Jackie Re: the pet trade - 03/16/05 01:40 PM
Ok--but did your Polly?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: the pet trade - 03/16/05 01:46 PM
but did your Polly?

No, she just crackered up.

Posted By: Jackie Re: the pet trade - 03/16/05 02:00 PM
Speaking of which:

© Wordsmith.org