Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TEd Remington Burchfield - 07/09/04 05:30 PM
I was surprised that there was no notice here on information and announcements concerning the death of Robert Burchfield, who died recently at the age of 81. Perhaps his passing is discussed elsewhere and I haven't gotten there yet. Here's a pretty good article about him:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,11617,1255800,00.html

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Burchfield - 07/09/04 07:00 PM
Another sad reflection of Zild's cultural void. His passing has so far gone unremarked upon here, at least in the media I've senn over the last couple of days. Never mind that he was an outstanding scholar, he didn't play sports, so he doesn't count. Of course, devoting his entire life to cataloguing a foreign language probably didn't endear him to the Zild collective unconsciousness either.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Burchfield - 07/09/04 07:04 PM
You have all read Simon Winchester's The Professor and the Madman (New York: HarperCollins, 1998)? Altho it has nothing to do directly with Burchfield, it provides a sort of back story which is both illuminating and entertaining.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Burchfield - 07/09/04 07:17 PM
*sigh* This was news to me, too. Even my beloved NPR has had nothing on his passing.

Posted By: wow Re: Burchfield - 07/10/04 01:35 PM
Perhaps we could honor Mr. Burchfield by having his birthday, Jan. 29, in our birthday thread ?
Or have a special OED Day next Jan 29.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Burchfield - 07/10/04 02:17 PM
Yeah! Especially since he shares a birthday with Oprah Winfrey.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Burchfield - 07/10/04 06:26 PM
>Yeah! Especially since he shares a birthday with Oprah Winfrey.

Aaargh! Please don't blame the poor man for that tragic happenstance.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Burchfield's birthday - 07/10/04 07:21 PM
And my mother.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Burchfield - 07/12/04 02:42 PM
Anu gives a link to an article about Mr. Burchfield's death in this week's AWADmail. Of course, the article being in the NYT, I won't be reading it. He also gives a quote, which I don't think is customary for the mail:
"The English language is rather like a monster accordion, stretchable at the
whim of the editor, compressible ad lib. -Robert Burchfield, lexicographer
(1923-2004)"

P.S.--Anu, did you get the idea from this thread?

© Wordsmith.org