Wordsmith.org
Posted By: spelchkr made up word - 01/25/01 01:20 PM
this word was made up by my father many years ago and used to tease his sister-in-law who was heavily into the latin scientific names for the flora and fauna around her home at the time in the Indiana dunes. the word is ALSCALSISABALSAMACAHANNA and was used by my family to describe almost any old thing that we desired.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: made up word - 01/25/01 01:48 PM
Welcome aboard, spelchkr - are you related to our own, dear Ænigma, I wonder?

My mother (who knew the first names, surnames, nicknames and father and mother's names of nearly all flowers!) when faced with a plant whos ename she either didn't know or had forgotten, would dub it "robustum spreadwelliam[/]" - mostly applied to garden wild flowers, which she would insist were "weeds"

Posted By: bikermom Re: made up word - 01/25/01 02:21 PM
This made up word has the "Sound of Music's made up word beat. How many people remember the word us middle agers used to decribe fantastic events as teenage girls? SUPERCALAISFRAGILISTICEXPALADOSIUS!!!!

enthusiast
Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: made up word - 01/25/01 02:53 PM
This made up word has the "Sound of Music's made up word beat

Right actress, wrong movie. That was Mary Poppins.

Posted By: bikermom Re: made up word - 01/25/01 05:06 PM
Thanks taking the iniative to correct me. That is what this site is for. Plus that is how we all learn. Do you even remember that word being used ever? As for the movie--I saw both at the movie theater---ions ago. And all my life I have always been in the right place at the wrong time-------guess somethings never change.

enthusiast
Posted By: TEd Remington Marry Poppins - 01/25/01 06:47 PM
popped in on a visit to London, too late for a regular meal at the inn where she usually stayed. The innkeeper sent to her room several boiled eggs and a bowl of cheddar cauliflower soup. The next morning she wrote in the guest book: "Soup of cauliflower delicious. The eggs were all atrocious."

And with that post TEd reaches another milestone. Hukd on fonix.

Posted By: ladymoon Re: made up word - 01/25/01 07:32 PM
SUPERCALAISFRAGILISTICEXPALADOSIUS!!!!

I remember that word being used, often. My third grade teacher made us write it over and over as punishment. He'd also make us copy pages out of the dictionary. Then I'd get in more trouble for reading the dictionary instead of just mechanically copying it.

Posted By: Jackie Re: made up word - 01/25/01 11:25 PM
Congratulations, Ted--I think! Yer hukt, al rite.

I'd get in more trouble for reading the dictionary instead of just mechanically copying it. Well,
ladymoon, it's too bad that teacher didn't allow that learning opportunity. But I know they have to stick to the curriculum, dag nab it.

And, um, I believe it's
SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS.

Posted By: Hyla Re: made up word - 01/25/01 11:37 PM

ladymoon has the French version, I think.

And enigma thinks it's "supercomputer" (which it ain't - weird spell-checker)

Posted By: Sparteye Eenie, meenie - 01/26/01 05:46 PM
My Grandfather's version of Eenie, meenie, minie, moe (sp?sp?sp?sp?), which I believe was not unique to him, went:

Eenie, meenie,
Tipsy, teenie,
Apple Jack and
Domnic Sweeney
Amanochie,
Domanochie,
Al-a-man tish!

Posted By: Sparteye masochism - 01/26/01 05:49 PM
TEd says: "Soup of cauliflower delicious. The eggs were all atrocious."

Oooohhhh. That was painful! But it hurts so good!

Posted By: FishonaBike Marie Popoinette - 01/26/01 09:01 PM
ladymoon has the French version, I think

Hi Hyla.
I was about to suggest we ask our favourite (only??) resident francophone, belMarduk. But then I thought I'd conduct my own extensive research on this most important issue. So I tried "Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious" as search criteria to good ol' Google.
And look what turned up as first hit (sorry, premier coup):
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/thl/

I'm just bouchefrappé!

Fisque

P.S. Nice quote on the page from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Translates - rustily - as:
The essence of life is invisible to the eyes.
One can only see clearly with the heart.

Posted By: ladymoon Re: Marie Popoinette - 01/26/01 09:25 PM
So I must not have gotten in trouble enough at school. I didn't write it enough to have it engraved in my memory. Further evidence I really was an angelic child, I'll have to pass it along to my mother.
And now I'll pass the buck, I just copied it off bikermom's post.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: souped up call - 01/26/01 11:08 PM
I would put this word on my list of words that inflict excruciating pain, but in the interests of logology (and orthography) herewith a paste from the OED:

Made popular by the Walt Disney film ‘Mary Poppins’ in 1964. The song containing the word was the subject of a copyright infringement suit brought in 1965 against the makers of the film by Life Music Co. and two song-writers: cf. quots. 1949, 1951. In view of earlier oral uses of the word sworn to in affidavits and dissimilarity between the songs the judge ruled against the plaintiffs.

1949 Parker & Young (unpublished song-title) Supercalafajalistickespialadojus. 1951 I (song-title) Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus; or, The super song. 1964 R. M. & R. B. Sherman (song-title) Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! 1967 Decisions U.S. Courts involving Copyright 1965–66 488 The complaint alleges copyright infringement of plaintiff's song ‘Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus’ by defendants' song ‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’. (All variants of this tongue twister will hereinafter be referred to collectively as ‘the word’.)

Posted By: bikermom Re: made up word - 01/29/01 08:44 PM
Wow, what terrible memories from such a exciting and spirited word.

enthusiast