Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Flaming - 02/20/04 12:20 AM
We are, of course, all opposed to the flaming that occurs on other boards. It is however interesting to see how it is done really really well.

http://www.advicemeant.com/flame/index.shtml

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Flaming - 02/20/04 12:55 AM
Great list, O Bialumnal One. It is complemented quite nicely by this one:http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

Posted By: Capfka Re: Flaming - 02/20/04 06:19 AM
The Padre's link was interesting, but Max's link is STUPENDOUS. Go and have a look at the pics and bios of the Flame Warriors.

WE'RE ALL IN THERE!

Posted By: maverick Re: Flaming - 02/20/04 12:11 PM
Hilarious!

> IN THERE!

so, um, nominations, CK?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Flaming - 02/20/04 05:02 PM
Oh, man, thanks, CK, for making me go there; last night I decided not to take the time. But they are great! Hey--can I order you a T-shirt? But YOU'll have to tell ME which one--I ain't about to say!

I looked eagerly at "Profundus Maximus"; doesn't fit our Max at all!

Oh, get the picture on "Howlers"! HA!

Ohmigawd: Whether inadvertently or by design, Coffee Klatch prepares the battlefield in her favor by making it soggy with pleasant, but vapid messages - her favorite phrase often being, "thanks for sharing". This renders the battlefield rather slow going for many of the swifter and more powerful Warriors, and if war does break out she will shed her benign facade and strike mired Warriors with great ferocity.

"Netiquette Nazi" made laugh out loud--for a couple of minutes!

Whew, I know an Evil Clown in real life. He is horrible, and it is so much worse because he's in a position that commands respect. [shudder e]

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Flaming - 02/20/04 07:51 PM
>I looked eagerly at "Profundus Maximus"; doesn't fit our Max at all!

Really? The first time I saw that one, I winced and blushed, since its desciption fitted my Usenet behaviour painfully well.

Posted By: shanks Re: Flaming - 02/20/04 08:01 PM
Fantastic links both.

And to my chagrin, I've discovered that I'm probably closest to Weenie. (Dammit. When oh when will I achieve the zen-like state of the Kung Fu Master?)

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: musick Nominations - 02/20/04 09:35 PM
Jackie and I just had a lovely phone conversation (ROTFLOFAO), and *we came up with this nowhere near complete list:

The Archivist
Big Cat
Coffee Klatch
Deacon
Fragile Femme
Garble
Grammarian
Issues
Nanny
Nitpick
Lurker
Picador
Propeller Head
Royals
Tiny Yapper

...yet, we categorically deny the assignment of specific *names. (chicken-e)

One of the few we couldn't agree on was who'd be the "Netiquette Nazi".

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Nominations - 02/20/04 10:03 PM

Posted By: Jackie Re: Nominations - 02/21/04 02:55 AM
ROTFLOFAO--speak for myself, will ya?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Nominations - 02/21/04 03:57 AM
Unfair! Unfair! I say!

Youse guys can't compile the list and not even hint on who's who.

What category does this put me in?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Nominations - 02/21/04 05:15 AM
Waal, now, Mam Sparteye, thou post aboveth doth reeketh of Fragile Femme, perhaps?

Actually, as musick pointed out, nobody really fits because these are flamer profiles and we don't have real flaming here. Thank heaven.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Nominations - 02/21/04 08:00 AM
Oh, I don't think they were necessarily discussing flame wars, just flaming in general, and we all do that from time to time, both here and probably elsewhere.

Well, we've had our Godzilla, hopefully for the first and last time!

Posted By: dodyskin YukYukBongLamer - 02/21/04 10:49 AM
[embarrassingacknowledgement-e]

Ohmigod, what a great website: non-sequiters, garble, bad references, oh deary me . I blame the parents...and this goddamn one-handed left-handed keyboard of course.

***edit*** It has been brought to my attention that the above statement could be misconstrued. To clarify, I really am using a one-handed left-handed keyboard, it is called a Maltron.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Nominations - 02/21/04 10:54 AM
Well, maybe Godzilla, but I thought Rat described that person better.
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame13.html

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Nominations - 02/21/04 11:22 AM
I would say the flamer in question was a combination of Godzilla, Rat and Archivist.

Posted By: Jackie Definition, please - 02/21/04 03:41 PM
flaming in general Well, I must have the wrong idea about what flaming is, then. I thought it had to be a direct attack (though possibly by subtle means), either against people or the forum, somehow. Done out of malice or hard feelings, anyway. Do pointed remarks qualify as "flaming"? (I put it in quotes because it is an unfamiliar term to me--that is, using it doesn't come naturally.) Is expressing anger at someone (but without directly attacking the person) "flaming"? For example, are both of the following flames? OOH! I cannot believe you said that! , vs. OOH! I cannot believe you said such a stupid thing, you jerk.

From other views: a.) if a statement was not intended to create feelings of animosity but did so, or, b.) if it was intended to but went straight over the recipient's head--are these flames?

Posted By: musick Redirect, your honor. - 02/21/04 05:03 PM
... if it was intended to but went straight over the recipient's head--are these flames?

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it does it make "sound"?

...speak for myself, will ya?

My apologies, my dear 'Royal', for my 'Sycophant' behavior.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Nominations - 02/21/04 10:00 PM
>I would say the flamer in question was a combination of Godzilla, Rat and Archivist.

all of that and more; but he *thought he was Admin, and when that failed he *thought he could be Rebel Leader.

Posted By: of troy Re: Nominations - 02/21/04 11:03 PM
yes, i took several rolls in the flame war too..

certainly, i became the therapist(and went about analysing posts, and was stealthy too, and had other 'personalities', and some of my limericks were pranksters..

i think we get a candle or two lit here, and go crazy of the idea of an 'open flame'-- some boards have the great Chicago fire!
but then having been in flame war (how ever large or small it was, the flame were hot enough!) we are all very careful here.

(of course-- rereading the coffee clatcher.. i could fit that roll too!)

Posted By: Jackie Re: Redirect, your honor. - 02/22/04 02:34 AM
If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it does it make "sound"? Very good, sir! Ah, a little higher, if you please...

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Flaming - 02/28/04 11:46 PM
I brought this thread up in light of a recent posting flood here that highlights the wisdom of a mantra heard throughout Usenet:

DON'T FEED THE TROLL.

It's good advice, people.

Posted By: Father Steve Don't Feed the Troll - 02/28/04 11:59 PM
The Troll's Bane Song
(Don't Feed The Troll)

~Author Unknown

[Enter a group of Bards that surround the Stupid Troll, then singing in close harmony, do-wop style, snapping fingers and acting silly, keep the Troll distracted until it's too late!]

Don't feed the troll !
You don't know where it's been be-fore;
It might not be ... sanitary, so
Don't feed the troll !

Please don't feed the troll !
They're very unpredictable, you know.
You might just lose a finger, so
Don't feed the troll !

Don't argue with a troll,
Because..
It does no good at all.
(hummm.... do-wah..)
They have very little sense;
All they can do
Is drive.. you.. up.. the wall...

So, don't feed the troll;
Those nasty suckers have a lot of germs.
Don't feed the troll...
Unless you have a pocketful of worms.... (eeuw!)

Oh, don't feed the troll !
Because you'd have to stoop way too low!
Keep a hand on your knife,
And an eye to your back,
But just let the vermin go. (Oooh -- do-wah!)

[Exit the Bards, leaving a puddle of gooey troll, since we all know that a Troll's Achilles Heel is anything sung do-wop style. Silly Trolls never seem to learn, do they!]

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Don't Feed the Troll - 02/29/04 12:21 AM
That one's a real keeper! Thanks.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Don't Feed the Troll - 02/29/04 12:25 AM
I don't post to any other "boards" and I belong to only two list.servs and I don't really know what the UseNet is ... so it is unsurprising that I have never heard the maxim "Don't Feed the Troll" as it relates to flame wars. But it strikes me as one of those homely expressions which carry an enormous amount of wisdom in a few simple words and a single simple image.

Posted By: musick Don't Feed the Lambs - 02/29/04 06:44 PM
An oldie but goodie, and oh-so appropriate...

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=30641

It was either that or make up a story about a crying wolf feeding the rest of the herd after eating one of *them...

© Wordsmith.org