Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill I yam what I yam!--Popeye's 75th! - 01/16/04 12:59 AM
"I yam what I yam, and dat's all what I yam, I'm Popeye the Sailor Man, toot, toot!"

Happy 75th to that spinach guzzlin', Bluto battlin', Olive Oyl chasin', phrase coining sailor...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/15/entertainment/main593542.shtml

Posted By: maahey Re: I yam what I yam!--Popeye's 75th! - 01/16/04 01:12 AM
Thanks, W'ON! No thanks, for the earworm that the simple mention of Popeye caused..

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: I yam what I yam!--Popeye's 75th! - 01/16/04 12:47 PM
Yeah.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: I yam what I yam!--Popeye's 75th! - 01/16/04 01:27 PM
"...I'm strong to the scrinach,
'cause I eats me spinach..."

worm on...

or was that, "I eat my spinach"?

Posted By: jheem Re: I yam what I yam!--Popeye's 75th! - 01/16/04 01:35 PM
What's an earworm in this instance? And do glabrous earworms wear earwigs?

Posted By: Faldage Re: I yam what I yam!--Popeye's 75th! - 01/16/04 01:35 PM
Scrinach? I thunk it were 'finach.'

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Ohrwurm - 01/16/04 01:54 PM
jheem, it comes from one of those felicitous German words, like treppenwitz.

~A melody that won't go out of your head.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: I yam what I yam!--Popeye's 75th! - 01/16/04 02:52 PM
>finach<

You could be right!

And let's not forget ol' hamburger-lovin' Wimpy.

Posted By: wow Re: I yam what I yam!--Popeye's 75th! - 01/16/04 02:55 PM
"...I'm strong to the finish,

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Wimpy - 01/16/04 03:14 PM
There is/was a hamburger chain in the old country called Wimpy's. Cross-ponders, does it still exist?

Posted By: jheem Re: Wimpy - 01/16/04 03:30 PM
http://www.wimpys.co.uk/

Remember, Dudley Moore's character, Stanley Moon, worked in a Wimpy's in Bedazzled.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Wimpy - 01/16/04 03:43 PM
"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today"...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Wimpy - 01/16/04 03:48 PM
"And I'll have pickles, lettuce and onions, both on that."

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Wimpy - 01/16/04 04:13 PM
Which, again, brings us to the question: Why is it a hamburger if it's made of beef? (originally made of pork, I'm guessin')

Posted By: jheem Re: Wimpy - 01/16/04 04:20 PM
It's the nominalized adjectival form of Hamburg. An americanized frikadelle or Swedish meatball or risolle.

Posted By: maverick Re: hamboiga - 01/16/04 04:30 PM
> An americanized frikadelle

mmmm, I can see that could have "presented a coupla marketing issues, JB!"

Posted By: Father Steve Spinach and Strength - 01/16/04 06:42 PM
"...I'm strong to the finish,

When I was a wee lad, my mother used to encourage me to eat my spinach -- which usually came out of a can, horribly wilted, slippery and doused with some awful vinegar -- so that I would grow up to be big and strong like Popeye. It took many years to overcome the revulsion produced by this childhood experience. I can now eat the stuff raw or very lightly cooked, but still not the vomit-inducing stuff which comes in the tin.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Spinach and Strength - 01/16/04 06:54 PM
I attually® *liked the stuff as a kid. We got the fresh stuff, with sand in it. The sand was part of the joy of it, or so I claimed. My mother always said it was because I had to be different.

Posted By: dxb Re: Wimpy - 01/19/04 08:12 AM
There is/was a hamburger chain in the old country called Wimpy's. Cross-ponders, does it still exist?

Yes. But they are not as ubiquitous as they were. In fact I had to look them up to be sure they *did still exist.

http://www.british-franchise.org/wimpy-restaurants/#history

In hunting that up I came across this ‘fact’.

“Producing a single hamburger patty uses enough fossil fuel to drive a small car 20 miles and enough water for 12 showers!”

Could just be axe-grinding statistical presentation on someone’s part I guess. You know – lies, damned lies and statistics.

Why is something supposedly made of beef called a hamburger, by the way?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Wimpy - 01/19/04 12:34 PM
beef called a hamburger

check out jheem's reply five posts up.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: burgers n dawgs - 01/19/04 01:12 PM
I believe hot dogs are called frankfurters for a similiar reason. Now why do *we call them hot dogs?

Posted By: jheem Re: burgers n dawgs - 01/19/04 03:36 PM
Btter yet, Anna, why do those South of the border refer to wraps as little donkeys? And while I'm on dogs, you know it used to drive my first college German professor apoplectic that there was a chain, here in the States, called der Wienerschnitzel. Not only should it be das, but a Viennese cutlut has little to do with a Wuerstchen. The chain has since dropped the incorrect definite article from their name.

Posted By: dxb Re: Wimpy - 01/19/04 04:05 PM
check out jheem's reply five posts up.

Oh yeah, thanks et. I missed that - unusual for me - I think . Not only that, but I failed to make my link live

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Wimpy - 01/19/04 04:23 PM
So what all this boils down to is "What's more American than hotdogs...or hamburgers?" ...turns out to be "What's more American than what's German?" Come to think of it...there's all that beer, too.

Wasn't German one of the languages that was seriously considered as a possible national language in our early years in the USA?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Wimpy - 01/19/04 04:48 PM
Wasn't German one of the languages that was seriously considered as a possible national language in our early years in the USA?

I think that's an urban legend. I'll go check.

Yup. Scroll down to the response to the Ann Landers column:
http://www.snopes.com/history/govern/onevote.htm
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Wimpy Legends - 01/19/04 05:24 PM
Thanks, Faldage.

Here's something written to Ann Landers on the subject from that site--but no way of verifying it today:

"In 1794 some German settlers in Virginia petitioned the U.S. Congress to have certain federal statutes translated into German and printed in both languages. This petition was referred to a committee, which voted the idea down - by a margin of one vote."

Posted By: Faldage Re: Wimpy Legends - 01/19/04 05:31 PM
Read a little farther down, Dub Dub'. Looks like even that one is wrong.

OTOH, Hitler *did come up one vote shy of unanimous.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Wimpy Legends - 01/19/04 07:00 PM

Question is:

Was there ever anything that was determined by a one-vote difference?

Question #2:

Which thread on AWAD morphed most dangerously into routes far beyond its point of origin?

© Wordsmith.org