Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Who the hell are spamcop? - 11/04/03 04:53 AM
Has anyone come across these lowlifes? They have had the nerve to block my emails from my yahoo account. I looked at their site but only those with a Ph. D. in computer science can understand what they're on about. I gather though that they are blocking my emails for 48 hours. How dare they? Who are they and what gives them the right to do that? Any enlightenment from those among us who understand computer jargon?

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Who the hell are spamcop? - 11/04/03 12:52 PM
Try
http://www.spamcop.net/

Posted By: wwh Re: Who the hell are spamcop? - 11/04/03 11:02 PM
Dear Bingley: I never heard of this before. If you can get inquiry to your Internet Service Provider, they might be able to help you.
ZDnet used to have where you can ask questions about such things, though I haven't gone there for several years

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Who the hell are spamcop? - 11/04/03 11:08 PM
Spamcop offer a spam protection service. Initially well thought of, their aggressive approach has seen a lot of false positives, and innocent victims, such as yourself. Getting them to concede that they made a mistake is difficult, apparently. I think the key word that resulted in your being blacklisted was "Yahoo" - a notorious haven for spammers.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Who the hell are spamcop? - 11/05/03 04:39 AM
I found the spamcop site and their bulletin board and posted a rather more incandescent version of the above, and have had two replies, one reasonably conciliatory (probably more so than I deserved) by email, explaining their set up and basically saying write to yahoo. I wanted to reply to that to say thank-you but couldn't because my email was bounced back by spamcop.

The other was considerably less helpful, just saying we provide the information, what other people choose to do with it is nothing to do with us, and that it's my fault anyway for not using a decent service provider.

I did try writing to yahoo, but just got a form letter back.

Bingley
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Who the hell are spamcop? - 11/05/03 02:53 PM
>I did try writing to yahoo, but just got a form letter back.

you have to get extremely lucky to reach an intelligent lifeform at Yahoo!® -- the bots are in control over there. otho, their profits are going through the roof, now that online adverts are in again.

I've had several run-ins with spamcop sending out the daily wwftd. one in particular I remember fondly; it included some lines from the amphigory: the owl and the pussycat.

here's another ludicrous situation: the AoL (ha!) spam filters are having issues with Yahoo! mail, because yahoo turns all mail into virtual spam!
Posted By: Jackie otho - 11/05/03 04:18 PM
I imagine this is short for 'on the other hand'. I thought it was neat that my first-glance interpretation was 'although'. Kind of onomatopoeic synthesis...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: otho - 11/05/03 04:26 PM
> short for 'on the other hand

short for, as well as typo for!

Posted By: Jackie Re: otho - 11/06/03 11:48 AM
Oh well, she said off-handedly. Odd, how our brains work, sometimes (and mine, more oddly than a lot, I think!). I honestly had not noticed the inversion. When we were in D.C. (i.e., unfamiliar territory) recently I glanced out the taxicab window at the Tunlaw Street sign, and instantly asked the driver why they named a street by reversing walnut.
Posted By: Capfka Re: otho - 11/06/03 02:40 PM
Did he have an answer?

Posted By: Jackie Re: otho - 11/07/03 12:30 PM
She; no, she didn't know. Nor did another taxi driver know why there were a pair of ...bronze?... buffalos at the ends of this one bridge. I can see why a normal person (!) wouldn't know the answer to my question in the post above, but I'd have thought ... Well, never mind. I think most taxicab drivers--and indeed, most people in most jobs--are non-natives, and besides, even though these old "buffles", as my daughter dubbed them when she was two, are life-size, they are outranked in the interest ratings by many other monuments in this town. But still, I feel sure they must have some historical significance, and I would like to know what it is.

Posted By: consuelo Re: otho - 11/08/03 10:48 PM
Would the name of the bridge be Geronimo by any chance?

Posted By: JohnHawaii Buffalo Bridge - 11/12/03 06:10 AM
This is the Q Street Bridge (also known as the Dumbarton Bridge and the Buffalo Bridge), which carries Q Street, NW across the Rock Creek valley at 23rd Street. The bridge's sculptural elements (which also include life masks of the Native American leader Kicking Bear) are purely decorative. Designer Alexander Phimister Proctor was known for his sculptures of cowboys and other western figures.

Posted By: dodyskin the knowledge - 11/12/03 12:29 PM
do cab drivers have to take the knowledge in the US or can anyone get a license? places of local interest, monuments and civic buildings are usually included in the test.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Buffalo Bridge - 11/12/03 03:13 PM
OH! JH!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! *KISS* [delight]
I am SO HAPPY to finally know, even though the knowledge isn't as romantic as I'd thought it might be (such as, that herds of buffles formerly tramped the area). (We have a Buffalo Trace, here.)
Here's a picture of what I saw:
http://www.kittytours.org/thatman2/search.asp?subject=5

And here's a picture of the cast, with an explanation:
http://www.proctormuseum.com/sculptures/LB3.html

Note: I have a lot of trouble getting the first one to open; have had to try several times, each time I've wanted to check it. But it's there, I promise.

© Wordsmith.org